Tatooine and Hoth, their place in the story....

Angedechu

TOR have flaws, but roughly speaking, I find that the plot for the classes make sense in correlation with the planets.

Excluding the capitals and starting planets....

-Alderaan and Corellia are prestigious core worlds, prizes for any would-be galactic conquerors.

-Balmorra is a top weapon Producer.

-Taris is a top psychological target

-Belsavis is a top secret prison, with lots of gnarly prisonners. Of course the plot ''let's free the dudes imprisonned for eons there'' work as well as usual, but...

-Voss is a planet full of force sensitives.

-Nar Shadda is actually one of the most crucial points in the galaxy for underground commerce.

-Quesh, well, don't mess too well actually, but it's got a working storyline.

-Illum is the planet with the super rare mineral that can produce gnarly weapons. It's not terribly original, but it's servicable.

All those planets are logical destinations for the 8 storylines. It make sense that the player go to each of those planets for various reasons

Tatooine and Hoth, however, screams ''we put them because they are iconic SW worlds''. There is nothing wrong with this idea, but those planets are kinda awful from a storyline POV.

Georges Lucas have many flaws, but his focus on Tatooine (which was in five SW movies ouf of six) make perfect sense : it's the birthplace of Anakin Skywalker, and it's important because of this connection. Tatooine, like Luke states 15 minutes in ANH, is a dump. No one cares about Tatooine (1) : there is no reason at all that people would create a superweapon on Tatooine, hide informants on Tatooine, hide Jedi masters on Tatooine, hide apprentices on Tatooine...(and so forth), and especially not AT THE SAME TIME. (on the other hand, as I said, all plots line of this nature make at least some sense on the other planets) (2)

Hoth is an even worse case. The Alliance picked this planet because it was remote, hard to reach, and completely devoid of any interest. And yet, you find Rakkatas remains there, you find technical readouts of the Emperor super secret station, a drug that control brainwashing....

(1)Tatooine actually have a non-negligible activity as a smuggling base, and after the Vong War, it was used by the Hutts as an operation base.

(2)I'm aware that Tatooine is a Rakkatan slave world, but that plot point did not made sense already in KOTOR...

Tatooine and Hoth, however, screams ''we put them because they are iconic SW worlds''. There is nothing wrong with this idea, but those planets are kinda awful from a storyline POV.

Georges Lucas have many flaws, but his focus on Tatooine (which was in five SW movies ouf of six) make perfect sense : it's the birthplace of Anakin Skywalker, and it's important because of this connection. Tatooine, like Luke states 15 minutes in ANH, is a dump. No one cares about Tatooine (1) : there is no reason at all that people would create a superweapon on Tatooine, hide informants on Tatooine, hide Jedi masters on Tatooine, hide apprentices on Tatooine...(and so forth), and especially not AT THE SAME TIME. (on the other hand, as I said, all plots line of this nature make at least some sense on the other planets) (2)

Hoth is an even worse case. The Alliance picked this planet because it was remote, hard to reach, and completely devoid of any interest. And yet, you find Rakkatas remains there, you find technical readouts of the Emperor super secret station, a drug that control brainwashing....

(1)Tatooine actually have a non-negligible activity as a smuggling base, and after the Vong War, it was used by the Hutts as an operation base.

(2)I'm aware that Tatooine is a Rakkatan slave world, but that plot point did not made sense already in KOTOR...

Completely disagree. You're missing a few things.

First off, Tatooine was important for a lot of underhanded and shifty operations precisely because it was on the outer rim and not close to the inner worlds that were constantly being patrolled and visited.

It was the perfect location to build and test a superweapon, if you didn't want too many people prying around.

As to Rakatan technology there, the First Empire or Rakata were everywhere, if I'm not mistaken, so there's no reason not to expect to find remnants of them on every planet.

From a questing standpoint, I loved the Tatooine story lines (when I was into the story lines) and enjoyed pushing farther and farther west into the Dune Sea. I guess we have our own tastes.

To Hoth, I'm not sure about the lore involving the giant battle in orbit over Hoth, but I absolutely loved the graveyard nature of the planet. I thought it was incredibly well-done, and apart from the long distances, loved going through Hoth on almost every character.

Both of these are iconic worlds, as you say, and there'd have been a huge outcry over it. But the fact that they are both there and both PVP-centric planets is just fine with me and fits in perfectly (IMHO) both from a lore standpoint and a solid game design standpoint.

It would be nice if they were even larger planets with even more room to roam, but this is a theme park MMO. You're probably never getting such a planet, unfortunately.

With the way they are set up and revolve around the infinite empire as being threaded into our storys as they are im just shocked dathomir and dantooine arnt in the game. I see them coming to a cartel market near you soon though. Edited by Shingara

A key difference between Arrakis and Tatooine is that Arrakis is home to the most valuable ressource in the universe-spice.

Tatooine most valuable export (short of Jedis that either save and/or destroy the Galaxy) is the krayt dragon pearl, which is certainly Worth something, but no near as much.

The Rakkatan Empire hyperdrive tech was based on the Dark Side of the Force : IE, their ships could only travel at speeds higher than sublight toward planet ''rich in the Force'' (whatever this means)

The Empire was spawning the galaxy, but never controlled more than 300 words, according to the Atlas sitting on my lap right now.

The Rakkatan Empire hyperdrive tech was based on the Dark Side of the Force : IE, their ships could only travel at speeds higher than sublight toward planet ''rich in the Force'' (whatever this means)

The Empire was spawning the galaxy, but never controlled more than 300 words, according to the Atlas sitting on my lap right now.

But they had infinitey gates too didnt they.