Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Repairing files

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Commomp
06.20.2012 , 07:14 AM | #1
I placed this thread in probably the wrong forum before, so I will try here. Since the last update for the PTS, I have been in a loop of repairing files for the PTS. I have tried adding an exception for the client on my virus protector and I really don't want to have to re-install this game since I don't know where to find my UI settings. Is there any way to correct this issue with the PTS portion of the loader so I can continue to level up a toon on that server?
CE For SWTOR and lovin it!
There is nothing in life that can't be explained after having smoked a little bantha poodu.

Cerimon
06.20.2012 , 07:29 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Commomp,

Repeatedly repairing the same files indicates a problem with your hard drive that can be fixed by running the Windows hard drive utility callled Chkdsk.

Run chkdsk
Chkdsk is a tool which is built into Windows that checks your hard drive for bad sectors. We ask you to run chkdsk so that you can be sure that your game files are not being written to a bad segment of your hard drive, causing them to become corrupted.

To run chkdsk via the Windows Command Prompt:
  • Open the Windows Start Menu
  • Type 'cmd' in the 'Search programs and files' field, hold Ctrl+Shift and press enter
  • Type 'chkdsk <drive >:' where the drive is the letter of the drive you are installing to, e.g. 'chkdsk c:', and press enter If errors are detected you can repair using the '/r' option, e.g. 'chkdsk c: /r'
To run chkdsk via the Windows GUI (Windows 7):
  • Select 'Computer' from the Windows Start Menu
  • Right-click on the drive you are installing to and select 'Properties'
  • Select the 'Tools' tab
  • Under 'Error Checking' select 'Check now...' If errors are detected, you will be prompted with an option to repair
Please let this process complete and use the repair utility one more time to confirm no files being repaired. You should be able to play on the PTS at this point. Please let us know if this is not the case.

Thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Commomp
06.21.2012 , 08:00 AM | #3
Followed both steps that you laid out for fixing my log in for the PTS and Windows found no errors on my disk. I have SWTOR loaded up on a Corsair GT 240GB hard drive. After completing both the chkdsk and the Error Checking within the GUI, the PTS client still stops at download telling me that, "An error occured updating. Repair."

After I hit the repair and the client performs it's scan it tells me that I have 10 files that need to be repaired. It takes a while to "repair" these alleged files and after it has "repaired" the files, it still tries to download the client and gives me the same error.

I appreciate the help you have given so far. If I have to uninstall the game and reload the client, where do I find my GUI files for the SWTOR interface so I can save those? Thank you.

So far I have no issue with the live client.
There is nothing in life that can't be explained after having smoked a little bantha poodu.

Cerimon
06.21.2012 , 08:37 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Commomp,

Please run Fixlauncher and then repair as follows:

Run FixLauncher.exe
This will not affect any game client files you have already downloaded. To run this repair tool, double click on the FixLauncher.exe file located by default in one of the following locations:

For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\
For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\

Run repair
Please log into the launcher and before pressing play click on the cog icon and choose repair. Please run the repair utility multiple times until there is no indication of files being repaired.

Your GUIProfiles can be found in the settings folder at the following location:
C:\users\%USERNAME%\appdata\local\swtor\swtor\

If the issue persists please post your most recent Launcher log from the following location:

In a default installation these files can be found here:
  • 64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs
  • 32bit: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Commomp
06.24.2012 , 07:41 AM | #5
Okay, I have just did a fresh re-install of windows 7 after having problems with the game not wanting to run at all in both the PTS and live server. I ran my disks to try to re-install the program onto two different hard drives and was told that the install failed. I downloaded it and it told me the same thing. Now after having fresh installed windows 7 again, the disks are telling me that the install has failed and I am trying to download the client again to see if it will install. What could possibly be corrupting my ability to install the game. This is the only game I like playing and I have invested lots of money into the franchise (keyboard,mouse and headset as well as a six month subscription), but am unable to play because of some odd quirk of fate that isn't allowing me to install the game.

Beesodd
06.24.2012 , 07:50 AM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello Commomp,

I'm sorry to hear that the issue is ongoing for you. Now that we've ruled out the hard drive as the potential source of the problem i'd suspect that there may be a RAM issue, and running Memtest86+ will help to determine if this is the cause of the problem.

How do do so can be found in this post.

Please let us know if this helps.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

Commomp
06.25.2012 , 10:45 AM | #7
Thank you for all your help. Ran a memory scanner and found out I had a bad stick, fortunately I had another one and all is working good. Thanks again for all your help.

Beesodd
06.25.2012 , 10:48 AM | #8 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Thanks for getting back to us to let us know that your issue has been resolved. If you encounter any further problems in future, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

McStoodge
07.07.2015 , 05:55 PM | #9
im having problems with my floors glitching out and falling to my death in areas that i absolutely have to go through in order to progress in the story. i tried to repair the game but the repair button would not work. i read the comments above for the cmd part and i dont know what all is different since i am using Windows 8

OwenBrooks
07.08.2015 , 12:54 AM | #10
Streaming launcher - If the letters "ST" is present, close the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut, select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder. Then start the launcher