Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

SWTOR "looking at free-to-play"?


Abominant's Avatar


Abominant
06.14.2012 , 11:47 PM | #1
Here is an interesting article that may give us a glimpse at the future of SWTOR.

Keep in mind that absolutely nothing is confirmed in the article, but this particular quote stands out: "So we are looking at free-to-play but I canít tell you in much detail. We have to be flexible and adapt to what is going on"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...e-old-republic

Shingara's Avatar


Shingara
06.14.2012 , 11:51 PM | #2
Not at all, at most we will have f2p trial upto lvl 15, if any mmo is heading towards f2p its wow, the huge merging of its china/asia servers, its black market selling BIS items and the real money ah going into it. remember that wows biggest playerbase is in asia/china market and raiders arnt going to be happy that you will be able to buy bis and what were raid only items for real money.

So as swtor is expanding into the asia market at the same time wow is declining in it very fast. SWTORS ip is strong enough to keep it subscription game for years, and look at other ea mmos like warhammer, they are still sub games so no, this will stay subs.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

MatronAdena's Avatar


MatronAdena
06.14.2012 , 11:53 PM | #3
business wise I would say they HAVE TO look into, and have several ideas on hand, fleshed out, and able to be implemented quickly if or when the need arises.

People will see this, jump to conclusions, because- lets face it, many gamers of the mmo species are a flighty creature easily spooked.

So thats really my assessment. It's just smart Business to fully know all options open in case they are ever needed.
Sorry, I'm old and can only read complete words.

Molik's Avatar


Molik
06.14.2012 , 11:54 PM | #4
yea they already announced at E3 this year its f2p up to lvl 15, cept what they didnt tell you preety much cant talk to anyone, or have any of the perks if you P2P, this game isnt going to F2p, or micro transactions sturcture anyttime soon.
BETA TESTER

"Beating CE VIP's with darkside madness"

LordKOLZ's Avatar


LordKOLZ
06.15.2012 , 12:12 AM | #5
lol definitely thinking of holding after my time expires for the game to go free to play. I was already thinking of it with how the game is dying so badly they had to merge every server and not just a few and the many many other signs of how bad the game is doing. Don't see the point in supporting a game that will go free to play in time so it would be a better idea to wait it out. And for the false hope of it just the 15 levels, yeah... let's keep saying that's all it will be, lol.

Shingara's Avatar


Shingara
06.15.2012 , 12:15 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by LordKOLZ View Post
lol definitely thinking of holding after my time expires for the game to go free to play. I was already thinking of it with how the game is dying so badly they had to merge every server and not just a few and the many many other signs of how bad the game is doing. Don't see the point in supporting a game that will go free to play in time so it would be a better idea to wait it out. And for the false hope of it just the 15 levels, yeah... let's keep saying that's all it will be, lol.
You do realise that they have upped the numbers able to play on servers, didnt you notice how you dont have to q or lag even when there is 600 on your side on the fleet never mind the rest of the server or other side. They have basically made what was in wow battlegroups on swtor a server.

Kid yourself all you want but if you think its so bad how come your still here and not on wow or another mmo or game.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Wikar's Avatar


Wikar
06.15.2012 , 12:15 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
Not at all, at most we will have f2p trial upto lvl 15, if any mmo is heading towards f2p its wow, the huge merging of its china/asia servers, its black market selling BIS items and the real money ah going into it. remember that wows biggest playerbase is in asia/china market and raiders arnt going to be happy that you will be able to buy bis and what were raid only items for real money.
I see your "flawless" logic, a game with 9-10mil subscribers going f2p model because 15$ per month from 10mil players (150mil $ per month) is not a good profit from p2p model... However a game with 1mil subscribers (SWTOR) have not even thinking about going f2p because... well, i don't... common sense lost me here... maybe becasue you hate wow and like swtor? (but as a news for you, global market and game company strategies does't based only on your humble opinion )

Hambunctious's Avatar


Hambunctious
06.15.2012 , 12:16 AM | #8
They'll be forced to go full f2p sooner, or later. I don't think they can make it on less than 500k subs, and they'll be down to that, or lower, soon.

ChazDoit's Avatar


ChazDoit
06.15.2012 , 12:19 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Hambunctious View Post
They'll be forced to go full f2p sooner, or later. I don't think they can make it on less than 500k subs, and they'll be down to that, or lower, soon.
The thing is that, there are many great games coming out soon. I saw some footage of Planetside 2 and I was like. "This game is gonna be f2p? but it looks awesome" I also hear that Neverwinter will be f2p, End of Nations, and yes, some of those may not be RPGs, but people can like more than one genre, you know?

LordKOLZ's Avatar


LordKOLZ
06.15.2012 , 12:20 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
You do realise that they have upped the numbers able to play on servers, didnt you notice how you dont have to q or lag even when there is 600 on your side on the fleet never mind the rest of the server or other side. They have basically made what was in wow battlegroups on swtor a server.

Kid yourself all you want but if you think its so bad how come your still here and not on wow or another mmo or game.
600 people spells a massively successful game to you? LOL well damn, then the free to play is not needed at all. Kid your self all you want but just because every player that's left over in one server doesn't spell a successful game at all. I mean I love it, don't get me wrong. With the game dying so badly it is nice to see people for once and I hope so much it can continue to be a p2p game with more people coming back. I am here because I wanted to play, why else would I be here? And because of that I should be a blinded fanboy like you people?