Is it possible to master both the light side and dark side at the same time?

Xanikk

Is it possible to master both sides of the force without the darkside totally consuming you?

Like would it be possible to use both techniques to use the force: Focusing and clearing your mind of emotions AND using your emotions to harness the force just at different times: AKA dark side usage and light side usage.

I just have it in my mind that the jedi are wrong and that it IS possible to use both the dark and the light without letting the dark consume you. Could it be possible the jedi philosophy is wrong and the potentiium view is accurate?

The way I see it, the dark side is naturally corrupting. However It is possible by someone EXTREMELY skilled in the force to harness it without being consumed by it and at the same time able to channel his/her emotions with the light side/

I have not seen anyone on the star wars wiki who could do this. Reven doesn't count because he was not both dark and light at the same time.

I think the jedi council discourages the use of the dark side because of it's IMMENSE risk of falling to the dark side. Yet there must be rare force users throughout history who could master both without being corrupted right?

If I recall correctly, didn't the early jedaii who evolved into the jedi practice both the light and dark side without becoming corrupted by the dark side?

Edited by Xanikk

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be like attempting to keep calm and rational, filled with Zen whilst simultaneously being angry, hateful and full of rage, it isn't possible to use both, it does not work that way, regardless of power, they'd cancel each other out.

Not at the exact same time.

I think he means beginning the fight in a calm manner and using light side powers, and as the battle gets more intense and you find yourself needing an advantage, begin to channel your emotions to allow you to use more aggressive powers from the dark side.

Canonically the closest anyone has gotten IIRC is Mace Windu with Vaapad. The other Jedi who worked on it with him all ended up falling to the dark side, including two other Masters. And I would say Vaapad is a pretty minor use of the dark side, it's not like you're frying someone with your raw elemental hate a'la Force Lightning or choking the life out of them.

Yeah I know there's the Electric Judgment thing Plo-Koon and Luke use, but that sapped people's energy to the point of rendering them unconscious and unable to resist, as opposed to, you know, killing them.

It should be possible, as long as you can access the Dark Side with "good" emotions. (Bravery, compassion, love, ect.) Then you could use the DS without fear of tripping out into a homicidal rage every ten seconds.

For the record, the Dark Side isn't a corrupting force.

Edited by Velaran

It should be possible, as long as you can access the Dark Side with "good" emotions. (Bravery, compassion, love, ect.) Then you could use the DS without fear of tripping out into a homicidal rage every ten seconds.

For the record, the Dark Side isn't a corrupting force.

It is a corrupting force.

It is a corrupting force.

"The Light and Dark Side manifest themselves in the way they are used; they are simply different interpretations of a single aspect of nature, and they exist in balance with themselves and the universe. Just as with any aspect of life and death, both the Dark Side and the Light Side are intertwined with each other, are necessary to each other and form a cosmic balance."

-The Dark Empire Sourcebook

I could post more, but I think this gets my point across best.

"The Light and Dark Side manifest themselves in the way they are used; they are simply different interpretations of a single aspect of nature, and they exist in balance with themselves and the universe. Just as with any aspect of life and death, both the Dark Side and the Light Side are intertwined with each other, are necessary to each other and form a cosmic balance."

-The Dark Empire Sourcebook

I could post more, but I think this gets my point across best.

Except GL himself has stated that the darkside is corrupting, that the it is a cancer of the force and makes it imbalanced.

Except GL himself has stated that the darkside is corrupting, that the it is a cancer of the force and makes it imbalanced.

"In each of us we to have balance these emotions, and in the Star Wars saga the most important point is balance, balance between everything."

-George Lucas, Time Magazine article, 2002

"The idea of positive and negative, that there are two sides to an entity, a push and a pull, a yin and a yang, and the struggle between the two sides are issues of nature that I wanted to include in the film."

-George Lucas, quoted in L. Bouzereau, Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays

"I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil—everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in 'Star Wars.'"

-George Lucas, Times Magazine, 2002

Lucas may think the Dark Side is evil (which is a very subjective term) but he doesn't think it's a corruption.

Not that I care what he has to say on the matter, but it seems you do.

No. Just no. To do so would completely defy the very point of having a Dark Side.

The DS is like drugs. It's incredibly useful and wonderful and perfect at first, and you think "silly authority figures, they don't know what they're missing out on". But then it becomes less so the more you use it. It slowly drains at your very being, forcing you to use it more and more. Eventually you end up a pathetic being obsessed with it, and only it.

No. Just no. To do so would completely defy the very point of having a Dark Side.

The DS is like drugs. It's incredibly useful and wonderful and perfect at first, and you think "silly authority figures, they don't know what they're missing out on". But then it becomes less so the more you use it. It slowly drains at your very being, forcing you to use it more and more. Eventually you end up a pathetic being obsessed with it, and only it.

And yet some drugs are helpful, if used in moderation.

That's the main problem with the Sith. They take their rage and hate off the battlefield, and it eventually consumes them.

Edit:

Revan did it.

it took 300 years of stasis prison meditation but he came out a master of both albeit possibly a little mad. ..

Actually, I think it was that three hundred years of mind **** that broke him of his balance.

Edited by Velaran

And yet some drugs are helpful, if used in moderation.

That's the main problem with the Sith. They take their rage and hate off the battlefield, and it eventually consumes them.

It's not a problem with the Sith, the Sith are just good examples of people who heavily use it. It could become anyone's problem. When normal soldiers take their messed up experiences off of the battlefield (which usually don't get into the mainstream history books either), just what do you think using the innate power you feel within yourself that connects you to every other thing in the universe to kill someone in a horrific way will do? And unlike using a blaster and watching them be flash cooked by it, it was you on a very primal level that did it, no machine interface layer between you and the death of your enemy. You either can't deal with it and it eats you alive inside, or you rationalize it and it destroys a little bit of you right there. The more you do it the worse it gets.

The problem is that there is no keeping that just on the battlefield, when it's something that becomes a part of you just as intimately as a soldier who internalizes his traumas (and can't get help for them) and develops PTSD. Once you use it marks you and you just have to live with it. The fact that alot of Sith are ok with that just shows they are willing to destroy themselves for some greater goal and actually have the strength of will to watch those compromises take pieces of themselves (metaphysically, mentally, etc) until they're just husks of the people they used to be.

The jedi are robots and the sith are psychopath. The light and dark side are Yin and Yang. There can be no light without the dark to define it. Neither are intrinsically good or evil it how you use it. Because you use anger in a fight doesn't mean your bad, it means you feel. Likewise shutting down your emotions like a robot doesn't make you good. Therefore in a roundabout answer: yes. Yes, you can use both and not be corrupted given your intentions are pure.

It's not a problem with the Sith, the Sith are just good examples of people who heavily use it. It could become anyone's problem. When normal soldiers take their messed up experiences off of the battlefield (which usually don't get into the mainstream history books either), just what do you think using the innate power you feel within yourself that connects you to every other thing in the universe to kill someone in a horrific way will do? And unlike using a blaster and watching them be flash cooked by it, it was you on a very primal level that did it, no machine interface layer between you and the death of your enemy. You either can't deal with it and it eats you alive inside, or you rationalize it and it destroys a little bit of you right there. The more you do it the worse it gets.

The problem is that there is no keeping that just on the battlefield, when it's something that becomes a part of you just as intimately as a soldier who internalizes his traumas (and can't get help for them) and develops PTSD. Once you use it marks you and you just have to live with it. The fact that alot of Sith are ok with that just shows they are willing to destroy themselves for some greater goal and actually have the strength of will to watch those compromises take pieces of themselves (metaphysically, mentally, etc) until they're just husks of the people they used to be.

We're talking about the Dark Side. Not the horrors and consequences of war and death.

We're talking about the Dark Side. Not the horrors and consequences of war and death.

Yeah, and what is the Dark Side almost always used for? Killing your enemies, and dominating those weaker than you (a lesser degree). What is Sith alchemy predominantly used for? Making terrible force weapons and shaping the living to be better bio-weapons you can control. I've heard of the dark side healing Vader always aspired to, but it still used the purity of his hate to do (which he could never achieve, so he could never do it for long).

But step back from this for a moment and think about it. What is the Dark Side without the negativity used to access it? Just using the force right? How would you even define that then? What makes it the "Dark Side"? Like, what were you meaning with this:

Edited by Rhadamanthine

Yeah, and what is the Dark Side almost always used for? Killing your enemies, and dominating those weaker than you (a lesser degree). What is Sith alchemy predominantly used for? Making terrible force weapons and shaping the living to be better bio-weapons you can control. I've heard of the dark side healing Vader always aspired to, but it still used the purity of his hate to do (which he could never achieve, so he could never do it for long).

But step back from this for a moment and think about it. What is the Dark Side without the negativity used to access it? Just using the force right? How would you even define that then? What makes it the "Dark Side"? Like, what were you meaning with this:

1. I define the Dark Side as using emotions to fuel the Force. It doesn't matter what those emotions are; If you're using them, you're using the Dark Side. The Jedi reject emotion, all of it, and they use the Light Side, so any alternative must be the Dark Side. Unless the Light Side is actually fueled by positive emotions, but the Jedi would really make no sense then.

2. Let's make up a scenario here.

A Sith is on the battlefield. He notices an Imperial squad pinned down by heavy Republic fire just a few dozen meters away. Let's say the Sith knows and has worked with the men and/or women in the Imperial squad for years. The Sith is in prime position to attack the one of the Republic squads from behind, but doing so will leave the Imperial squad open to fire, and they'll be killed.

The "dark" Dark Side option would, obviously, be to attack one of the Republic squads and wipe them out, leaving the Imperial squad to die.

The "light" Dark Side option would be to cover the Imperial squad, the Sith thowing him/herself into the line of fire to save his/her troops, allowing the Imperials to gain a better position and fight back.

In the "dark" option, the Sith is using his/her hate for the enemy to drive them, while in the "light" option he/she is using his/her compassion for his/her troops.

3. Positive emotions (bravery, compassion, as above) are much more stable then negative emotions, and if they were used in place of emotions like hate and anger, a balance is much more likely to be achieved with the serenity of the Light Side.

1. I define the Dark Side as using emotions to fuel the Force. It doesn't matter what those emotions are; If you're using them, you're using the Dark Side. The Jedi reject emotion, all of it, and they use the Light Side, so any alternative must be the Dark Side. Unless the Light Side is actually fueled by positive emotions, but the Jedi would really make no sense then.

2. Let's make up a scenario here.

A Sith is on the battlefield. He notices an Imperial squad pinned down by heavy Republic fire just a few dozen meters away. Let's say the Sith knows and has worked with the men and/or women in the Imperial squad for years. The Sith is in prime position to attack the one of the Republic squads from behind, but doing so will leave the Imperial squad open to fire, and they'll be killed.

The "dark" Dark Side option would, obviously, be to attack one of the Republic squads and wipe them out, leaving the Imperial squad to die.

The "light" Dark Side option would be to cover the Imperial squad, the Sith thowing him/herself into the line of fire to save his/her troops, allowing the Imperials to gain a better position and fight back.

In the "dark" option, the Sith is using his/her hate for the enemy to drive them, while in the "light" option he/she is using his/her compassion for his/her troops.

3. Positive emotions (bravery, compassion, as above) are much more stable then negative emotions, and if they were used in place of emotions like hate and anger, a balance is much more likely to be achieved with the serenity of the Light Side.

You can't fuel the Dark Side with positive emotions, once again that isn't how it works.