Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

To those clamoring for World PvP - the writing is on the wall

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
To those clamoring for World PvP - the writing is on the wall

EternalFinality
03.01.2012 , 02:41 PM | #1
Bioware has no idea how to design for world pvp, and doesn't intend to. And no, I'm not just talking about Ilum.

If you need proof, look at how the zones are designed. None of them put Imperial players near Republic players. They keep each other neatly secluded on opposite sides of the planets. Questing areas don't overlap, you never compete for sparse resources or NPC kills, and you never have a reason to deny the other side anything. There is no world PvP during the leveling phase of the game. None.

Then look at the death penalties. You kill someone? They just revive exactly where they died. No penalties. No stakes. No point.

The engine also can't support large amounts of people in one area, so large scale battles are out the window. Bioware thus intentionally kept large amounts of people from having reason to be in the same area (until Ilum and we know how that went)

You access all flashpoints and operations from the fleet. No need to travel to any zone and be thus exposed to other players on the other faction traveling to the same dungeon. (UBRS jump and Molten Core chains, anyone?) Barely any need to travel out into the worlds at ALL once you're max level.

No matter what they may say in interviews, world PvP was NEVER a design consideration when they made this game. Do not expect it to "get better" in a patch - they're not designing for you and never have been.

MPagano
03.01.2012 , 02:50 PM | #2
If you are really into world pvp, read up on GW2. It's the first game since warhammer that has the same potential as DAoC had. If you've never experienced it before, I encourage you to check it out! It might not be your thing, but if it is, you'll never be able to play a mainstream arcade MMO RPG again. I've been trying since DAoC with no luck.

Zachajariah
03.01.2012 , 02:59 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MPagano View Post
If you are really into world pvp, read up on GW2. It's the first game since warhammer that has the same potential as DAoC had. If you've never experienced it before, I encourage you to check it out! It might not be your thing, but if it is, you'll never be able to play a mainstream arcade MMO RPG again. I've been trying since DAoC with no luck.
Have you seen the new vid about their 2 week long RvRvR?

/drool

And I agree with the OP. wpvp should be natural, you shouldn't have to go out of your way to "try" and get involved.

azmundai
03.01.2012 , 03:07 PM | #4
they have no idea how to do anything but single player rpgs .. SOA is cool I guess .. but way too buggy to be called cool. the rest of it is wow with lightsabers .. and lots of bugs. huttball is forceball .. population imbalance is so out of wack in some servers .. it usually takes me 2-3 days to do a daily. this game is just bad. cant wait for the new titles. almost considering going and playing rift till then .. /shudder
x-server lfd tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.

MPagano
03.01.2012 , 03:08 PM | #5
Yeah, I haven't heard a phrase like that since DAoC. Me and a few old guildies are very excited for the potential the game is showing. I'm witholding unbridled giddiness until after I get a chance to actually play. But even Warhammer didn't sound this close to DAoC when it was in development. WAR ended up tanking anyways...

Evuke
03.01.2012 , 03:11 PM | #6
Unfortunately very true, TOR is not a world pvp game, it's an instanced pve game.

If you're looking for world pvp GW2 is your game, not TOR.

Phaedrynn
03.01.2012 , 03:13 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MPagano View Post
As a former DAoC player, I don't have high hopes for GW2 at all. I know, everyone is raving about it, I just have a hard time believing it is going to be any better/different than GW1.

For real, DAoC style not Warhammer style, RvR, Im keeping my eye on Dominus (and to a lesser degree, Secret World).

Redmarx
03.01.2012 , 03:15 PM | #8
SWTOR is fun to play in PVP, but it was not built for large scale open RVR.

It's a shame as it would be quite fun if it worked, but really, they just didn't build the game that way.

vindianajones
03.01.2012 , 03:16 PM | #9
The more I read about and watch videos on GW2, the more I envy those who get to play in the beta. I can't wait for this game. It's just the kind of PvP I'm looking for. SW has very little left for me. I don't know how much longer I'm going to last.
Quote: Originally Posted by ZDProletariat View Post
This game is the bag! Brave the nerve of thug developers not prevail in paradise!!!!!

Celebrus
03.01.2012 , 03:16 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Redmarx View Post
SWTOR is fun to play in PVP, but it was not built for large scale open RVR.

It's a shame as it would be quite fun if it worked, but really, they just didn't build the game that way.
Only rank 72?

Man...slacking.