Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Just cancelled my sub - few comments

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Just cancelled my sub - few comments

Canisrah
02.09.2012 , 01:19 AM | #1
Well, I just cancelled my sub.

Thought I'd offer a few comments as I've been following this game for years and felt it deserved some sort of farewell. I was one of the Red Zoners who raged when BW left us out of initial pre-orders, and I was one of those who breathed a sigh of relief when the decision was made not to IP block us so we could play at launch.

My experience playing the game - technically, has been great. No noticeable lag, very few bugs, highly polished game. No real complaints.

In fact, I'm really disappointed that I don't like the game more than I do. Maybe it's my problem - maybe my tastes are changing or maybe the sort of game that used to appeal to me simply doesn't anymore.

I was the rabid SWTOR fan in my group - I was the guy who made all the other guys pre-order and play. My Malgus statue is glaring at me on the shelf and my collectors edition box is proudly displayed.

So why am I cancelling?

Well... I played and enjoyed my BH up to level 41. When I hit Belsavis I suddenly realized I was bored stiff. The story had lost its luster, and I was doing seemingly pointless grinding and losing the will to live. Skyrim started calling to me, and the promise of upcoming titles like Diablo III, Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai, and Mass Effect 3 compelled me to acknowledge that when they arrived, there's no way I would spend my limited game time grinding away in this mmo.

In a desperate attempt to maintain my SWTOR enthusiasm, I started a slew of new characters, leveling them in bits and pieces in an effort to re-engage with a new story. But in each case staring at a long road of grinding interspersed with only fleeting moments of true story engagement was enough to scuttle that expedition before it even left port.

I even considered just letting my sub run for a few months - but then the reality of bleeding money for no apparent purpose (a misguided sense of loyalty or a last ditch attempt to justify all the hours of anticipation waiting for this game notwithstanding).

The age of the mmo is over, at least for me. The old game-play model this game adheres too is no longer interesting and I regretfully say that if SWTOR couldn't do it for me, no mmo that holds to the old design paradigm will. I may give GW2 a fleeting peek, but only because it's a no sub thing so I won't have to invest so much.

I suspect SWTOR will be the last of the big budget mmos. And as much as it pains me to say it... I think it will struggle to maintain a large play-base.

But that's just my view - and if you are playing and loving it and are in it for the long haul more power to you. Wish I could have been the same.

Peace out.
STAR WARS™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION

SQUADRON 419

Voorshwa
02.09.2012 , 01:23 AM | #2
I have to say that this post pretty much sums up the reasons I cancelled my sub last night. Although I have had the unfortunate experience of having my fun obliterated by bugs and just poor design decisions.

Thanks for summing it up better than I could have.

V
May the Heart of Stone know only tears, and the Souls of Fire.....Love.

halorix
02.09.2012 , 01:24 AM | #3
Was expecting different, but i can see it, i mean there has to be a point where one tires of mmo's, anyways enjoy the other games, I'm going to be picking up mass effect 3 myself and likely diablo 3 myself.

Morpurgo
02.09.2012 , 01:27 AM | #4
And you didnt even finish your BH to lvl 50 and discover that BH story is broken, doesnt actually finish and leaves you hanging in limbo with 10k affection Mako.
Cake is a lie, there is only pie. Through pie, I gain calories.
Through calories, I gain bodyfat. Through bodyfat, I gain weight.
Through weight, my social life is broken.
The Thighmaster shall free me.

Mackuss
02.09.2012 , 01:28 AM | #5
It's not you - it's how they designed the game.

I believe, the poor fellas at Bioware, got tunnel vision and made a game as EXACTLY close to WoW as they saw safe - and bull******* themselves on what's actually innovative. There is nothing new in this game - and even if you disagree with that, nothing new enough to make it last for 7 years. Think about that.

But in another note - there are many many many other reasons why I will never be returning. The company sucks and they don't give a **** about anyone but their pay check. I have been wronged so much by moderators, ticket handling, and Bioware, so many times I've lost count.

Also, the age of the MMO isn't over, just the theme park MMO. Trust me man, guys like you and me, GENTLEMEN like you and me, want something deeper than an incredibly, incredibly, mind numbingly, and utterly guided experience.

Oh, and the mods will probably delete this.
while(horse.State == dead)
{
horse.beat();
}

tiggerlove
02.09.2012 , 01:32 AM | #6
I feel you man. Cya in Titan!
Around Since 2006!
Check out our roster!!!
http://www.swtor.com/guilds/50953/brave-little-toaster
Join us today! Bads need not apply.

Notsensible
02.09.2012 , 01:32 AM | #7
I sorta hit that roadblock around 40s. PvP was my main enjoyment in the game. Friends barely play ever since high 30s, so that part of the fun went right out the window lol. As soon as my BH hit 50, I just... stopped. PvP sorta lost its glamor because of its current state, namely as a fresh 50. I haven't run any ops or higher lvl flashpoints, I just lost interest in many aspects of the game from a while before 50 unfortunately.

My account is still active, I don't mind supporting them for another month. I do that for many monthly fee games I play. I think it's also due to other RL stuff that I don't play right now, but my dwindling interest from before didn't help lol. I'm pleased with the purchase and money spent thus far, but things like how BW separates maint and patch downtimes, just loses points for me.

Scoring this game out of 10, I'd give it a solid 7 for the game itself as it is. If we incorporate other things outside of just the game, like my previously mentioned dislike, the purchase gets a 6/10. I am also keeping in mind that the game is still new. Hence why I'm not mentioning other things like the UI and bugs.

Canisrah
02.09.2012 , 01:34 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mackuss View Post
It's not you - it's how they designed the game.

Also, the age of the MMO isn't over, just the theme park MMO. Trust me man, guys like you and me, GENTLEMEN like you and me, want something deeper than an incredibly, incredibly, mind numbingly, and utterly guided experience.
I have to say sir - your comments do resonate with me...I think you're onto something there.
STAR WARS™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION

SQUADRON 419

Gulthaw
02.09.2012 , 01:35 AM | #9
/signed

But in my case I will still be paying because I need to know the stories!
The grinding doesn't bother me much (if only you knew what I've grinded in my life... this game is nothing) but the bugs and the unexistent CS do.

Still, I have to continue and learn the stories, but I'm going back and forth between characters because the whole game is boring, and there's no much to do.

Farewell and may the Force be with you.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici - Quis custodiet ipsos custodis
http://www.evil-wizards.org/swtor-wi...Jon%27naa_Keen (not finished yet)

Skoobie
02.09.2012 , 01:35 AM | #10
The game is going to be here for a long time. Maybe someday it will call you back for a visit.

Props to the OP for making a tasteful goodbye post. Refreshing to see instead of the normal bash everything/everyone threads.

Good luck Canisrah!