Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Print Screen/Screenshots not always working

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Print Screen/Screenshots not always working

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

iRouven
01.24.2012 , 11:11 AM | #1
I tried the search function but couldn't find a thread about this, perhaps it's just me.

Particularly in the class quest cinematics I often like to take screenshots. For some reason this does not always work. Typically I can tell I actually took a screenshot because of a slight delay in the video continuing.

Sometimes I can't take screenshots in one cinematic and then later (same session not logged out or anything) it works again.

Does that happen to anyone else? Ideas?
“Rattatakii rattataki rakghoul est.” – Jassna Orda
Scions of Korriban
Experience the dark side of the Sons of Numenor on Lord Adraas
http://www.sonsofnumenor.com/

sinnaman
01.24.2012 , 12:05 PM | #2
I have never gotten a screenshot to work in a quest cinematic. They do seem to work in the cutscenes between worlds and whatnot.
"We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life." - C-3PO from Star Wars - A New Hope

iRouven
01.24.2012 , 12:38 PM | #3
Mhh ... now I really have to check my screenshots again, could have sworn there were some from class quests, but I'm very likely just mistaken.

If so it would be interesting to know if that's WAI (making sure no class quest spoilers get out?) or not.

Thanks for the reply.
Scions of Korriban

DrunkenGundark
01.24.2012 , 03:24 PM | #4
Same boat as you. Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesn't. I just figured it was because my computer is kinda crappy and decides to check out sometimes during cutscenes and such.

But maybe there's a real reason. (As in, the problem's not on my end.) I don't have a clue what it is, though.

I toyed with the idea of just having a program like Fraps running while I play, but that's kinda more trouble than it's worth.

Oneeve
01.24.2012 , 03:26 PM | #5
I have the same issue. I just use fraps to take screens from cutscenes.

iRouven
01.24.2012 , 07:07 PM | #6
So I just checked and I definitely got pictures from my Bounty Hunter class missions.

Confronting Veeboo, A Barter with the Lady of Pain and a mission on Alderaan, pouring myself a drink (must have been on of the first ones there), during the ceremony at the end of chapter one and on board the Spirit of Vengeance (before and after the mission you get).

As a Consular there are some cutscenes where you use force powers - I've never seem to be able to take screenshots during these, but I have some during Ancient Secrets and one from the hologram girl Holiday.

Edit: And some between worlds as sinnaman mentioned.
Scions of Korriban

GonzyHalcyon
01.24.2012 , 07:46 PM | #7
I have also noticed this inconsistency with conversation/cutscene screenshots. I often just hit PrintScreen, alt-tab, paste into paint, and save, but that's very inconvenient. Then sometimes I do it and find the game did take a screenshot after all. Plus I end up having to hit escape in conversations to re-go through them after the interruption of making manual screenshots, especially if there's multiple things I want to screenie in a conversation, like two things in a row before a dialogue wheel "pausing point". See a nice line, hit printscreen, escape to leave conversation, alt-tab to get out of the way, then open paint, then paste a screenshot and save it, then go back in the game, re-attempt the conversation until you get to another part you want to screenshot, rinse and repeat. Very annoying.

But alas, the screenshot or non-screenshot taking seems to be random so I see no pattern for BioWare to go with. Just add it to the "Big Wall Of Little Bugs To Be Fixed".

iRouven
01.25.2012 , 09:16 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by GonzyHalcyon View Post
I have also noticed this inconsistency with conversation/cutscene screenshots. I often just hit PrintScreen, alt-tab, paste into paint, and save, but that's very inconvenient. (...)
I am not sure why you have to do this, for me it made a folder under pictures for Star Wars and saves them nicely in there, maybe have a look.

Quote:
But alas, the screenshot or non-screenshot taking seems to be random so I see no pattern for BioWare to go with. Just add it to the "Big Wall Of Little Bugs To Be Fixed".
Since the thread got moved to customer service this is probably the case. I had posted it under community because I thought here is where people look that take screenshots the most.

I'm sure it's not the highest priority but it will be nice when it's fixed - since you can't really go back in the class quests other than playing the class again.

Thanks all for the input, now I know I'm not alone
Scions of Korriban

Eambo
01.25.2012 , 09:21 AM | #9
As far as I can tell, this is somewhat of a hardware limitation. I think the cutscenes are considered 'video' almost, and rendered in a different way. When this happens, the screencapture cannot work through normal methods. I remember this happening when you try to take screenshots of videos in Windows XP with Windows Media Player years ago.

A temporary workaround would be to use a third party program like FRAPS for screenshots - bind it to PrntScrn and you won't even notice a difference :-)

GonzyHalcyon
01.25.2012 , 10:15 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by iRouven View Post
I am not sure why you have to do this, for me it made a folder under pictures for Star Wars and saves them nicely in there, maybe have a look.
I know about the screenshots folder in Documents>Star Wars The Old Republic. You mentioned how pictures take sometimes but not others, and I was backing you on that, where I take manual screenshots in lieu of relying on random screenshots that may or may not take during conversations.