Starparse now parses everyones DPS / HPS?

Screaming_Ziva

I've never used Starparse since I don't do NiM ops and haven't really had the need for it. However, I've been joining HM ops and recently, people in the group are reading off the DPS / HPS numbers for everyone in the group after boss fights. I thought Starparse needed your local log file to parse your numbers? Edited by Screaming_Ziva

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was quietly added with patch 7. Here is what Parsely.io has to say about it:

Group Logging: With the addition of group logging to the game, logs now contain entries from the other members in your group and the site has been expanded to take advantage of this. New additions include, but aren't limited to, a whole new group overview page, which includes overall summary, breakdowns of incoming and outgoing damage and healing, group deaths, and an interactive replay, and the ability to change your point of view to anyone in the log, including NPCs.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. One the one hand its really nice to see how you're doing in comparison to everyone else in your group and extra data that can help organized groups defeat tough challenges is a good thing. On the other hand, it often fosters a toxic elitism in people who are constantly comparing the numbers and discourages groups from accepting newer players.

Any know if "combat logging" needs to be on in your Preferences? 🤔

You need it on to see anything.

When turned on you see everyones details whether they have logging turned on or not.

Actually you don't see anything but all the information begins to be written to your computer and a third party program like starparse can read that log and put it into a readable form.

Edited by Gyronamics

I thinks it's a very good addition because without it I would probably still deal pretty poor DPS. There were people who posted the DPS of all members in the group chat every now and then and sometimes I was the lowest so I tried to focus better and we actually beat the bosses.

Sure I also got kicked from the group quiet a few times but so did others and I think it's only fair because with poor DPS you have no place in master mode dungeons.

Way to make ops just as toxic as warzones.

On Star Forge, I've seen ops people raging in fleet gen chat after a failed run. Naming and shaming newer / less skilled players publicly because, in one specific example, a player was a TK Sage not putting up average numbers on a boss fight. It's really pathetic.

And the sad thing is, the swtor community in general chats tends to pile on with the mockery instead of hushing the toxicity.

Edited by waisting

Way to make ops just as toxic as warzones.

I was wondering why I kept hearing people complaining about players not parsing high in an ops. I was like "wow, all these people are using a parcer?"

I thinks it's a very good addition because without it I would probably still deal pretty poor DPS. There were people who posted the DPS of all members in the group chat every now and then and sometimes I was the lowest so I tried to focus better and we actually beat the bosses.

Sure I also got kicked from the group quiet a few times but so did others and I think it's only fair because with poor DPS you have no place in master mode dungeons.

I wish there was a in game personal parser so we could measure ourselves.

Edited by illgot

Its a tool just like any other. If used properly, its great to see how you're doing as a team and what can be improved. It can also be used as weapon to bash heads. While I can see how it could be used to name/shame others, it can also be helpful to see what happened beyond the simple DPS numbers.

The tank died...was it because they took too much damage, what was their DTPS? Was it a healing issue? Positioning issue? etc. We didn't beat the boss, was total DPS too low? Or was raw DPS high enough and it was more of a target focus issue?

I wish there was a in game personal parser so we could measure ourselves.

You can use Starparse which this thread is about. You can run it while you solo things or while you are in a group:

http://ixparse.com

This is the site some people upload their parses to so you can check that out to see how you compare. You can view their actually parses as well to see the rotations they used etc:

https://parsely.io

Any know if "combat logging" needs to be on in your Preferences? 🤔

No combat log doesn't need to be turned on for others to see your dps/hps numbers. However if you want to use starparse yourself you'll need to have combat logging on to see anything.

Its a tool just like any other. If used properly, its great to see how you're doing as a team and what can be improved. It can also be used as weapon to bash heads. While I can see how it could be used to name/shame others, it can also be helpful to see what happened beyond the simple DPS numbers.

The tank died...was it because they took too much damage, what was their DTPS? Was it a healing issue? Positioning issue? etc. We didn't beat the boss, was total DPS too low? Or was raw DPS high enough and it was more of a target focus issue?

This is very true right here. With this being said people should never name/shame in open fleet chat, however if someone isn't doing enough dps for a fight in group that definitely needs to be said (Politely of course) and if the group can't carry them, they should be replaced if pugging, Offering to help them if you know the person's class/spec if they want it.

Edited by Toraak

I decided to download Starparse to see what the fuss was about and now I see what it tells and how it can be a learning tool.

I fired it up and joined a HM EV.

We had four DPS Sorcs in the group all with a 327 gear rating:

First fight, Annihilation Droid

Madness #1 (Me) - 21.3k

Lightning #1 - 17.8k

Lightning #2 - 15.1k

Madness #2 - 11.7k

Second fight, Gharj

Madness #1 (Me) - 18.5k

Lightning #1 - 14.0k

Lightning #2 - 12.6k

Madness #2 - 10.8k

The DPS difference between me and the other Madness Sorc is astonishing. We both had a gear rating of 327. I had full 286 augments and they had full 300 augments and I out DPS'd them by almost 10k on the first fight.

We were able to clear the op with no issues but I can see if teams are having issues, they can find the weakest link in the group.

However, I can also see how toxic this can be if someone else was running it and started in on the lower DPS during the op.

Star Parse is used to bully and humiliate low level players in flashpoints. Not long ago i was in Mandalorian Raiders with two other lv 80 and a lv 57 - he ( a marksmanship sniper) died at the 4 Rep minibosses because of the poison debuff and was bullied and then kicked off squad because ... " he was boosted to 80 and his damage according to star parse, should have been way more higher"!

Sorry but this is utter BS!

You cannot ask a lv 57 to do the same damage as a lv 80, not even in vet fp!

This star parse thing is TOXIC and should be deactivated for veteran flashpoints, because veteran flashpoints ARE for gearing and level.

Star Parse is used to bully and humiliate low level players in flashpoints. Not long ago i was in Mandalorian Raiders with two other lv 80 and a lv 57 - he ( a marksmanship sniper) died at the 4 Rep minibosses because of the poison debuff and was bullied and then kicked off squad because ... " he was boosted to 80 and his damage according to star parse, should have been way more higher"!

This star parse thing is TOXIC and should be deactivated for veteran flashpoints, because veteran flashpoints ARE for gearing and level.

I would really like to see one positive post from you, swtor and players cant be that bad. :)

But yes, starparse can be abused, making it toxic tool against some players. This is mostly happening in pugs and only way to avoid it is going to guild/friend runs.

Personally, I like starparse, discovered it with 7.0 and it actually made me more interested in swtor group content, I just like to see how I am doing, never to judge others.

That's not how allocating blame works at all.

Why is your mind so twisted that you don't once blame the players but multiple times blame a data display.

The parser doesn't say what your damage should be. That requires an informed person to decide depending on circumstances.

Groups have kicked people unfairly since the game began and you had the opportunity to ditch the toxic players you were in a group with rather than going along with it.

I have not seen it abused in HM operations yet. The benefits have far outweighed the drawbacks in my experience. An entire group should not be penalized because a dps that only does 6K or a healer that gets outhealed by the tank is in the group and we wipe. If the boss dies, no one has cared. People should know the basics of their class or stay in story/solo content and not expect 7 other people to carry them.

No, but if it's used to micromanage groups and establish elitist minimums, that's another story.

A boss has a certain amount of HPs, you have a certain amount of time to kill him before enrage so, each DPS is required to do a certain amount of DPS. How is that elitism? How is knowing if people are pulling their weight wrong?

A boss has a certain amount of HPs, you have a certain amount of time to kill him before enrage so, each DPS is required to do a certain amount of DPS. How is that elitism? How is knowing if people are pulling their weight wrong?

Depends where the parser users set the bar for "enough DPS" or "enough HPS". If they set it at "what it takes for us to put the smack down on the boss", then it's not a problem. If they set it at "twice what it takes" to exclude the "good enough" because "only barely good enough to kill the boss but not really good enough even to waste oxygen on", then there's a problem.

The good part is that the "elites" soon get on a lot of ignore lists and then GF auto-sorts itself into two groups - elite and non-elite. 🙂

And yeah, there's a big difference between "not enough" and "not as much as you'd like". 😅

Edited by JediQuaker