>>> 7.0 Ugh: Scaling/Bolster RUINS your stats. What is the point of gear or levels?

Muckbeast

What is the point of gaining levels or getting gear if it makes you weaker? The scaling/bolster system just absolutely ruins your stats. What you see here is probably similar to what happens to companions ruining them too. :confused:

Look at these two comparisons of your stats in fleet vs. your stats on a planet where you get scaled/bolstered down for solo/story/conquest content.

Level 80 Experiment. Fleet vs. Tatooine.

https://imgur.com/ZbgPjPf.jpg

Stats in Fleet:

Acc: 110.06%

Crit: 36.59%

Alac: 7.42%

Stats in Tatooine:

Acc: 115.65%

Crit: 27.97%

Alac: 2.35%

Change:

Acc: Gain 5.59% (why?!?!?! useless)

Crit: Lose 8.62%

Alac: Lose 5.07%

Level 75 Experiment. Fleet vs. Taris.

https://imgur.com/2VsRVXT.jpg

Stats in Fleet:

Acc: 110.62%

Crit: 45.89%

Alac: 7.56%

Stats in Taris:

Acc: 103.7%

Crit: 24.2%

Alac: 1.38%

(Had to mouse over alacrity stat to see the actual alacrity %.)

Change:

Acc: Lose 6.92%

Crit: Lose 21.69% <=== ?!?!?!?! BRUTAL!

Alac: Lose 6.18% <=== rip GCDs

Why aren't they talking about this?

This makes solo, story, conquest content a lot less fun as it makes your gear and levels feel worthless or even a bad thing.

How did this make it to live without someone at least teleporting down to a planet ONCE to see what happened to their stats?

Please comment, bump, post your own stats from checking, etc. This really needs more dev attention.

How did this make it to live without someone at least teleporting down to a planet ONCE to see what happened to their stats?

My theory? They want to railroad us into specific content so they turn everything else into a joyless slog (atrocious scaling, soul crushing grind in solo gearing, laughable iRatings from lower difficulty group content). Someone at BW decided that the game is a training ground for specific content (that is most difficult operations) and every player should end up doing them.

And if in case I'm right...

This is freaking stupid. A 1% alacrity, what's the point of having it then when you are only casting 1.5s GCD? Gonna comment to bump this up so hopefully somebody at Bioware reads and fixes. But I agree, what's the point of gearing to the max when you can just get bolstered down. Sure, you may be better off on higher level planets/instances, but there are not a lot of those in this "expansion", arent there?

This is freaking stupid. A 1% alacrity, what's the point of having it then when you are only casting 1.5s GCD? Gonna comment to bump this up so hopefully somebody at Bioware reads and fixes. But I agree, what's the point of gearing to the max when you can just get bolstered down. Sure, you may be better off on higher level planets/instances, but there are not a lot of those in this "expansion", arent there?

Right now the only content where we benefit from our full stats is... a broken flashpoint.

Right now the only content where we benefit from our full stats is... a broken flashpoint.

Careful, or they fix it by mending that oversight (meaning caps will be in full effect) without changing anything else. That this caps even on max-level would decidedly not stop them based on record.

Exactly.

This horrendously broken scaling actually means as you level up and gear up, you get WEAKER when doing solo/story/conquest content (which a lot of people spend most of their time doing).

This is so depressing to see all your efforts get completely invalidated.

It is aggravating that their scaling equation(s) fail to take into consideration the scale of differing level caps of the various content. You'd think they'd have this bolster stuff down to a science by now.

It has been decades since having to think about algebraic equations or much at all about math beyond simple statistics, but shouldn't they have some sort of constant or ratio coded in years ago to take the difficulty of content and factor it into the equation?

It is aggravating that their scaling equation(s) fail to take into consideration the scale of differing level caps of the various content. You'd think they'd have this bolster stuff down to a science by now.

It has been decades since having to think about algebraic equations or much at all about math beyond simple statistics, but shouldn't they have some sort of constant or ratio coded in years ago to take the difficulty of content and factor it into the equation?

No kidding. This should be simple math.

Also, all you have to do is put on your gear, teleport to a few planets, and look at your stats.

You INSTANTLY see what is happening and you can see how broken and terrible it is.

There is really no excuse for them letting this through.

Yeah, I find this to be quite frustrating.

I gave 7.0 a shot and geared up to purple 326 finally, then augmented everything.

Did some quests that were scaled down, and my character performed better in old optimized 6.x 306 gear in those areas. I never got rid of it, so, after 3 weeks of gearing, I'm using a 6.x 306 set more often than the new 7.0 gear that took most of a month to grind out.

It's not clear what BW is trying to achieve with how scaling works. The game isn't any more difficult or challenging with it, and basic aspects of it, like characters' global cooldown or accuracy levels, vary wildly between doing an Op or WZ and doing planetary content.

This really needs to be addressed.

Edited by arunav

Every other game I have played, you get stronger as you level up. Having difficulties with a certain boss or group? Go grind and level then come back.

Here, you spend an hour gaining the newest five levels just to be penalized for doing so. I have a fairly set routine to run heroics with a friend. We are both level 80 with 322 or better gear (lowest piece is a 322). It takes us longer to do heroics than before (noticeably longer). If leveling up equals longer times to do what we have been doing for a long time (and enjoying), then stop increasing the level cap.

At this rate, when we reach level 100, heroics will take all week instead of all day.

Edited by Minden

Yeah, I find this to be quite frustrating.

I gave 7.0 a shot and geared up to purple 326 finally, then augmented everything.

Did some quests that were scaled down, and my character performed better in old optimized 6.x 306 gear in those areas. I never got rid of it, so, after 3 weeks of gearing, I'm using a 6.x 306 set more often than the new 7.0 gear that took most of a month to grind out.

Progression destroyed.

New gear excitement? Killed.

Level up excitement? Ruined.

It's not clear what BW is trying to achieve with how scaling works. The game isn't any more difficult or challenging with it, and basic aspects of it, like characters' global cooldown or accuracy levels, vary wildly between doing an Op or WZ and doing planetary content.

Right. It isn't adding challenge, it is just adding tedium and frustration.

This really needs to be addressed.

Badly. And yet Bioware doesn't even seem to be talking about it.

This scaling issue is one of the worst problems in the game because it makes gear and leveling utterly worthless. You get WEAKER when you get better gear and levels? ***? They've ruined progression completely.

That would be acceptable. Getting rid of scaling altogether would be preferable.

I don't mind scaling. It does make more content playable.

But for the love of god, actually test how the scaling formula works so people aren't being gutted.

Did the "veteran's edge" system used to remedy this pre-7.0?

Did the "veteran's edge" system used to remedy this pre-7.0?

Yes but it would need to be adjusted because back in 6.x max iRating was avaliable for everybody. Now only people doing hardest content would benefit from easier open world which would be silly.

So, either Edge up to 326 or Edge limited to green solo gear. Or higher iRatings for other kinds of playstyle.

Yes but it would need to be adjusted because back in 6.x max iRating was avaliable for everybody. Now only people doing hardest content would benefit from easier open world which would be silly.

So, either Edge up to 326 or Edge limited to green solo gear. Or higher iRatings for other kinds of playstyle.

Yet another reason why the separate gear paths is such a foolish disaster.

Stats in Fleet:

Stats in Tatooine:

Change:

Stats in Fleet:

Stats in Taris:

So........

When are we getting this fixed?

What is the point of gaining levels or getting gear if it makes you weaker? The scaling/bolster system just absolutely ruins your stats. What you see here is probably similar to what happens to companions ruining them too.

Which therefore leads to another question - why get so hung up on gear?

Lost. Of course they decrease your stat pool - you are supposed to be level 35 or w/e. Yes you don't lose your abilities but that would be really punishing, who gives a duck if you have 6% more alacrity? 99.99% of players neither care nor even notice the difference, and even if - everything would still take the same amount of GCDs to kill so it is even more worthless.

This is not some 5head move from bioware to scam gametime or whatever you guys were saying. They just want to keep the old planets hard enough so you don't steamroll over them since you will be overleveled most of the time! Imagine if they wouldn't do that, you could one hit worldbosses.

Yes I know what you are gonna say next "oh but they didn't scale crit/alac/acc last expansion", correct! And now they do and it changes nothing - it just doesn't matter. You are doing planet content my guy, just grab a beer sit back and relax instead of worrying about your stats on taris.

I hope this is a troll post. Every player that worries about stats should have no problem completing planet stuff, regardless of alacrity or crit. It is very overrated to have to correct gear. But I also think that the theory crafters have been lying to us for over a year in 6.0 so why should anyone still care what they calculate, but hey - that is just my opinion.

Edited by ZUHFB
swearing - sorry I got carried away 8(

Such a mess. You know, I wouldnt be even mad if the next patch reverses everything to 6.3.1 and we have to redownload the entire game again

Word.

I would love to have the general gameplay return to then.

Scaling was better. Companions were better. Weapon cosmetics were better. Moddable gear.

Combat styles are cool but the cost was too high.

I honestly thought I was the only one but yeah. It has really pissed me off how tertiary stats are adjusted now compared to 6.0. If my gear on fleet gives me 110% accuracy, 7.15% alacrity and the rest in crit. It should scale down to give me the EXACT SAME STATS ON SOLO WORLDS. There was a story planet that gave 118% accuracy. I was like "What is the freaking point of this??".

Level 80 Experiment. Fleet vs. Tatooine.

https://imgur.com/ZbgPjPf.jpg

Stats in Fleet:

Stats in Tatooine:

Change:

Stats in Fleet:

Stats in Taris:

(Had to mouse over alacrity stat to see the actual alacrity %.)

Change:

Acc: Lose 6.92%

Crit: Lose 21.69% <=== ?!?!?!?! BRUTAL!

Alac: Lose 6.18% <=== rip GCDs

Really cool, could you post either a Lvl 80 comparison for Taris, or a Lvl 75 comparison for Tatooine?

Agree with others and OP though, tertiary stats *should not be touched* for scaling. It used to be that the "%" you got in alacrity, crit chance, and crit dmg was based off of your character lvl (so, getting to 100% accuracy required more accuracy gear at lvl 75 than lvl 80), which makes sense. If it's getting *scaled* though, you can never be geared correctly when going down to planets. Mastery and Power should be scaled, and the other dmg stats should *not* be touched.