Incentivizing players to NOT play? Weekly CAPs are bad mmmkay

OrionSol

Im wanting to run characters ....all my many many characters up to 80, but I kept getting notifications that Im losing medals of commendation.

So, now I DON'T want to do any activities that earn those, which limits what I can do and want to do... to only those things that don't waste comms.

This system has ZERO value.

PLEASE REMOVE WEEKLY CAPS.

Im wanting to run characters ....all my many many characters up to 80, but I kept getting notifications that Im losing medals of commendation.

So, now I DON'T want to do any activities that earn those, which limits what I can do and want to do... to only those things that don't waste comms.

This system has ZERO value.

PLEASE REMOVE WEEKLY CAPS.

Play on other servers... get the Cartel Coins from those through Galactic seasons 2

Why Bioware Developers didn't make it more like the reputation system is so beyond me. Where you hit a weekly cap but still earn reputation items you can use when the cap resets. Thus you still earn materials but it's in escrow till the reset. Why they just set a straight cap that gives absolutely nothing after you hit it is so damn ridiculous.

Play on other servers... get the Cartel Coins from those through Galactic seasons 2

Maybe he wants to just play on one server?? Seriously you say it like he wants to. What is wrong here is bioware dictating how much you can do in a week and it's stupid as hell. We were never limited on anything gear wise in 6.0. Now it seems not only is it a grind but it also has weekly caps. It's stupid. Admit it.

Maybe he wants to just play on one server?? Seriously you say it like he wants to. What is wrong here is bioware dictating how much you can do in a week and it's stupid as hell. We were never limited on anything gear wise in 6.0. Now it seems not only is it a grind but it also has weekly caps. It's stupid. Admit it.

exactly

That’s not the point. It’s not even about Galactic Seasons. I am nearly at the weekly cap for earning Medals of Commendation. That’s just doing all the normal things we have to do for gearing, conquest, and seasons. And it’s only on THREE characters. That means, if I don’t want my medals to be lost, I can’t do conquest on any other toons on this server this week. It ls obviously not about the leaderboards... our guild couldn’t mount much more than 10 million conquest on a good day before 7.0. We’ll never be able to compete with the super mega conquest guilds under the current system. And I’ve been able to earn well over 200k conquest on each of these toons. But it’s preventing me from leveling other alts solely on the basis of the 200 medals they would lose. And I’ve spent some already so I’m well under the STORAGE cap, but at like 950-something/999 for the weekly earned cap. So I will clearly need these medals for Noble Decurion gear and legendary implants on other toons, and could still bank them.

Remember that deconstruction and the one-MOC you rarely loot from NPCs also counts towards that limit.

So yeah, I don’t always agree with the OP, but I agree on this point. Weekly caps on how much you can earn DISINCENTIVIZES playing the content.

I complained about it as soon as it was announced on PTS but people didn't seem to care.

To be fair, the cap of Aquatic Resource Matrixes is what stops me more than the Medal one. I've never needed more medals, it's the matrixes I've always been short of.

I guess the idea is that they don't want everyone to have max gear in 2 weeks (not gonna lie, I'd be max gear already if I only had one character to gear up anyway, but I had to buy/level one of each weapon/offhand). They want people to keep subscribing and not dropping their subscription.

The only reason I've been playing past the cap is to get gear crates. CQ is such a grind now that I won't bother much with it once my characters are geared up...

I guess the idea is that they don't want everyone to have max gear in 2 weeks

I suppose you know that there is quite a lot of 330 gear around already. It was clear from the beginning more involved groups of players will find ways to speed through the process, even with all the caps around.

Mission accomplished by the forward thinking designers I guess? *facepalm*

And yes, they slowed down gear aquisition for the more normal players, quite substantially. Thing is, if it gets annoying, they will just pull the plug instead. Game and fun, or in this case, not being fun, and all that.

You know what's making me not play too? Conquest.

100k is such a grind that when I've reached it on a character... I don't want to play that character anymore. I still haven't finished the story on most of them and normally I would... except that now I feel that I have to save the story and its conquest points for a week when I will need the CQ points.

It's really a shame that their own designs make you feel that playing in certain conditions is a huge waste of time.

Really, that is your suggestion to the problem with certain activities? I used to log in every day (or at least as much as I could) now it is down to maybe 1 or 2 times a week and the other times I am playing another game, which is fun, which this used to be.

Of all the decisions made about SWTOR, the one that most puzzles me is why they have such a problem encouraging people to spend more time playing the game. This is just the latest example.

Probably they want to avoid player burnout from playing too much and loosing player for longer time.

Also, players would gear up too fast and loose interest, pretty much all mmos use some kind of slowdowns for players.

Edited by Ghostius

Probably they want to avoid player burnout

The current system is very much triggering player burnout rather than avoiding it because to get certain things you are railroaded into a limited subset of the existing content, compared to before where you had everything available. Which means there is enforced repetition, and that is a main driving factor for ... player burnout. Oopsy doppsy :cool:

The current system is very much triggering player burnout rather than avoiding it because to get certain things you are railroaded into a limited subset of the existing content, compared to before where you had everything available. Which means there is enforced repetition, and that is a main driving factor for ... player burnout. Oopsy doppsy :cool:

Imagine that!

And yeah, I had four hours to play today and didn't even bother. What's the point? I'm almost capped on tech fragments but can't buy my implants because I reached the Aquatic Resource Matrix cap days ago and only have 8.

So I didn't play.

BW, you're doing things wrong.

Edited by Pricia

I'm a very casual player, in that I do what I want, and seldom focus on things that would (for example) earn Medals of Commendation. Even without trying to earn any, I went over the weekly cap by (estimating for sure) about 300. That's a 30% loss on MC. If a filthy casual like me is blowing past the MC cap, it's way too low.

Imagine that!

And yeah, I had four hours to play today and didn't even bother. What's the point? I'm almost capped on tech fragments but can't buy my implants because I reached the Aquatic Resource Matrix cap days ago and only have 8.

So I didn't play.

BW, you're doing things wrong.

But you're still subscribed. You're paying while not playing. BW is fine with that, I'd think.

Edited by mike_carton

Probably they want to avoid player burnout from playing too much and loosing player for longer time.

Also, players would gear up too fast and loose interest, pretty much all mmos use some kind of slowdowns for players.

I'm already in full 326 and I don't plan to go higher. So, another 7.0 objective failed.