Miraluka masks - Age long request, repeated ad infinitum

Martrakk

It’s been over a decade of many threads asking for new and better miraluka masks, and it is unlikely there will be any, but nevertheless why not try. People, me included, claimed them to be ugly, lacking and unfitting to the outfit system. Furthermore, there is nothing to differ miraluka from baseline human, since they for unknown reason have eyebrows and if you clip inside their head you’ll notice that they do have eyes, just hidden behind the blindfold. Also, due to making them not clip through hats, helmets and like, if you wear one of those head accessories partially uncovering skin (like hoods) you’d see your chosen mask being replaced by the most basic metallic circlet-thing.

Many times people made an argument that miraluka should get a cartel appearance customization pack, but I think that due to them being one of the least chosen race, those might simply be deemed not profitable enough, I even wonder how even those already existing customizations for singled out more popular races could bring substantial enough profit.

To stop miraluka from being one of the most redundant and omitted races, I propose what follows.

1. New “face” slot

Miraluka would get an additional head slot only for aesthetics purposes where all the new blindfolds headbands and the like, would be applied over eyes. Those items, sellable in cartel market would be usable as well by other races, so it could be sold to any player, who could apply it as a headband, circlet or whatever it looks like in a normal head slot, as such I assume they could be as profitable as any similar piece of clothing already is on the market. It would also make those eyes coverings dyeable and able to blend better with the rest of the outfit. Since allowing a secondary spot which is just rotated and lowered head accessory would mean that you’d need to tweak each already existing head accessory to fit the new position, just don’t allow in this spot anything except masks newly-designed to fit that spot. Already established headdresses chosen by a player in character creation could simply spawn in a slot as a part of the first outfit, possibly buyable from some vendor if needed to be replaced or changed.

Since any hood seem consistent in shape, making a cut non-clipping version loading when worn with the hood shouldn’t be hard to code, but then I wouldn’t know. It would remove the need for that obnoxious default circlet.

2. New default (or not) face

It shouldn’t come as surprise that base default state of miraluka eye-space ought to be just skin over eye-sockets, and even if it could be too hard to code the new face and even more removal of possibly hard-coded eyes, it could simply be just given the default skin-texture blindfold phasing in the skin. Or it could be a special customization, replacing the default designated by the devs, could be as well the one that already is functioning, available in the cartel market, with specification that it’s only applicable by miraluka of course, I don’t think many would mind paying for that, even if they consider it a state that miraluka should have as a base look.

While there were some worries over this seeming grotesque to children, I don’t think it is, and neither did people behind already established Star Wars comic books, Visas Marr in Star Wars Tales Volume 6 (here), the Tenth Brother in Darth Vader comic book series (here) or Q’Anilia in Knights of the Old Republic 34 (here).

Now something that can make miraluka enter the uncanny valley: eyebrows shouldn’t be removed, since miraluka in accordance to their culture could simply paint them on to hide their supposed deformity further. And there is already a shaved eyebrow customization in character creator, though most favourably there could be an additional version of all complexions without the eyebrows added for miraluka only, and since it’s not much of a change, I would really advise developers from monetizing this.

Summary

With the masks:

1. Create an additional purely decorative slot for eye coverings for miraluka only;

2. Sell on the Cartel Market eye coverings as a normal head slot item, which would be used by miraluka in the decorative slot, while each of the other races could wear on their foreheads;

3. Turn character creation masks into normal dyeable items that spawn as a base gear with the player, and all are buyable at some vendor for credits;

4. Make the masks not to be replaced by the base blindfold while wearing the hood, but make a cut version of the item which would suit all the hoods and not clip through them, toggling while wearing hoods.

With the face:

1. Either:

• Replace miraluka’s vanilla state from this circlet-visor thing to a flesh colour texture over the eyes (maybe toggleable if some people wouldn’t like it);

• Make a cartel market eye flesh covering that is applicable only to miraluka and bound to the colour of the character skin;

2. Add a secondary set of complexions to the character creation of miraluka, nearly identical to the base but devoided of eyebrows.

Requested masks

Since I know it’s as sure as if a law of physics, asking vaguely for something new never bears any fruit, so I present here a short list of particular blindfolds that throughout those years people requested:

• Lace

• Rag bound with a knot behind the head

• Simple sash or a sweatband, plain dyeable colour (1, 2)

• Bandage wrappings, like in an old race icon (1, 2, 3)

• Maskless, as mentioned and shown above

• Narrow thread-like, akin to Jerec's from Dark Forces (1)

There are also some of miraluka’s headdresses/blindfolds from Star Wars universe which I’d show as an inspiration maybe, but it’s not a recommendation:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and even somehow one of this forum’s avatars, how it's not in the game, I don't know.

Threads before

Here come the list of the threads mentioned, which asked for new mask and functionalities for them:

2011 (1)

2012 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

2012 — 2013 (1)

2013 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

2013 — 2014 (1)

2014 (1, 2)

2015 (1, 2, 3)

2015 — 2016 (1)

2014 — 2016 (1)

2016 (1, 2)

2017 (1)

2018 (1, 2)

2019 (1)

2020 (1)

2016 — 2021 (1)

2013 — 2021 (1) – the longest and the most recently active thread

If you're a player, and you agree but don't really think like writing any response, just write something short like "I'm for/I support" to possibly show that it's a thing you'd like.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know that they will ever do this. But if they do?

Just a variety of simple blindfolds would be great. Or better yet! Maybe just a pack of items that are simple blind fold armor equipable as a helmet to open them up to anyone who wants to use them? Miraluka may be the blind human race .... but there are a few examples of characters in star wars losing their vision.

+1, support.

Seems fair. In fact both of my mirulkans I can't see their face/hair very well unless after character creation I make

them wear something that covers their missing eyes. i would have liked to have given them a cool hairstyle and

other features... but I am the one who can't see either... apparently!

Maybe they need more options on the creation/appearance change menu... so you can see/choose more easily.

I recently made a Miraluka, and wondered why I hadn't done it before. The answer is that I couldn't find a mask I liked.

This time, I did pick the least awful option, and make the character, but Miraluka desperately need more mask options.

I've probably replied to a lot of those threads of past years, but once again, I say: more Miraluka masks, please!

OP has some wonderful ideas, but honestly, at this point I'd be happy with just some recolors of existing masks. For example, I love the purple/grey one, but would prefer it in more neutral colors, like white/black. Why they thought making so many of the undyeable, part-of-character-creation masks available only in single, hard to match color schemes was a good idea is beyond me. :confused:

And while we're at it, how about adding ALL of the human hairstyles and the CM hair colors? Too wild and crazy? :p

Edited by Gwena

Oh, I wasn't imagining things, I did post to this thread.

To expand on my thoughts...

How about plain bands across the eyes in different colours?

Maybe domino-style masks (but without eyeholes), again in different colours?

This is interesting, and quite well detailed.

It reminds me there aren't many non-human esque masks. Species like the Togruta and Twi'lek have zero face mask options aside from the mouth/nose mask on the sith side, but nothing that's really tailored to what they might wear. Which is a shame.

This is interesting, and quite well detailed.

It reminds me there aren't many non-human esque masks. Species like the Togruta and Twi'lek have zero face mask options aside from the mouth/nose mask on the sith side, but nothing that's really tailored to what they might wear. Which is a shame.

Togruta have no helmet options of any kind, mask or not, that are visible.