Yea, like what I wanted to see. switching skill sets..

TL_Roff

what I was hopeing to see was the ability to use different combat styles while STILL KEEPING my character focus..

examples.. Bounty Hunter getting two handed electro staff so the bounty hunter can use the Beskar Spear.. or unlock the use of sniper rifles to be able to use the Sniper rifle from the Mandalorian show.. on top of being able to use either a single or double blasters.

The Sith inquisitor being able to use two lightsabres or a double lightsabre.. etc etc.

I am pretty sure this is what WE PLAYERS had in mind.. the version of this you have in the PTR adds nothing to player choices and really just muddles things.

In a very short phrase, I don't like it.

Theres no reason really to want to use what the dev team has come up with especially conseidering that your not going to be switching styles/discepline in the middle of a fight. Utillity is rather lacking...

Likely not what the dev team wanted to see but truth none the less.. Sorry guys but thsi feature is more fail then benefit. And why can't a force user use blasters? I mean come on really?

what I was hopeing to see was the ability to use different combat styles while STILL KEEPING my character focus..

Probably a good idea to explain what you mean by "character focus".

examples.. Bounty Hunter getting two handed electro staff so the bounty hunter can use the Beskar Spear.. or unlock the use of sniper rifles to be able to use the Sniper rifle from the Mandalorian show.. on top of being able to use either a single or double blasters.

The Sith inquisitor being able to use two lightsabres or a double lightsabre.. etc etc.

And both of those things (well, not the electrostaff thing, see below) are possible with Combat Styles. Indeed, that's what it's for.

What 7.0 doesn't do, though, is allow you to use the existing combat style with different weapons (e.g. be a Mercenary with a sniper rifle). To have a Bounty Hunter using a sniper rifle, pick the Sniper combat style. You'll follow the BH story but be a Sniper for gameplay purposes, and use a sniper rifle.

OK, Bounty Hunters and Electrostaffs. No, that wouldn't work because SWTOR electrostaffs are Force weapons like double-blade sabres. They'd have to make (a) a new tech+melee combat style using a staff, and (b) a Beskar Techspear that looks like the current Beskar Spear but is a Techstaff.

I am pretty sure this is what WE PLAYERS had in mind.. the version of this you have in the PTR adds nothing to player choices and really just muddles things.

It adds a significant thing to player choices - the ability to fight in style X and follow story Y in a way that you choose. To be an Assassin while playing the Warrior story, which is something that people among "we players" *have* asked for. I've seen them do it here on the forums.

Example (idea 1 is pretty much *exactly* what Combat Styles are about):

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=980697

Example:

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=988854

But also to play ranged trooper without having to use an Assault Cannon (achievable by taking Sniper style and Trooper story), or playing Light Sith using the Jedi mirror style, or Dark Jedi using the Sith (lightning, chokes) mirror style.

All of those have featured on these forums more than once.

In a very short phrase, I don't like it.

Theres no reason really to want to use what the dev team has come up with especially conseidering that your not going to be switching styles/discepline in the middle of a fight. Utillity is rather lacking...

Likely not what the dev team wanted to see but truth none the less.. Sorry guys but thsi feature is more fail then benefit. And why can't a force user use blasters? I mean come on really?

Help us understand: what you wanted was an AP PT, playing AP but with a sniper rifle? So a Melee class playing melee but using a sniper rifle instead of a pistol?

I agree that it's probably what people wanted - sorry but a BH having to use cover to use a sniper rifle is ridiculous, same for a Sith warrior only using the force and no lightsaber attacks.

But I'm hoping that they will give us new combat styles to bridge the gap - at least now they can do that. Some melee non force spec, or a hybrid melee/range spec for force users etc.

Because that overly complicates things and requires even more effort to put in balancing, because now you have a ton of possible combinations leading to an even messier balance, that is gonna be way worse than now.

And let's not forget sooner or later metaslaves would go "this is the bext combination, any other combination is bad" and people who follow guides would parrot that everywhere so the "choice" wouldnt rly be a real meaningful choice for many anyway.

Edited by ralphieceaser