Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

If i run dungeons which i rarely do because of people like this i'm normally the leader and if someone needs on something that isnt their armor class ie bh needing on strength gear i give them one chance and if they do it again they are kicked if you need something another player in the group needs for your companion you are kicked from my group and blacklisted, Players take priority over companions.

Yeah my companion is important and i *********** love doctor lokin but i give him my old gear once i upgrade but i would never do something as stupid or greedy as to need a piece of loot to gear one of my other companions when a player needs it. And if i'm not the leader that leader is given an ultimatum to kick the person who did it or lose my respect and the respect of my guild and i leave.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people keep accusing those who roll need of a having a "ME ME ME, ALL MINE" mentality. That's the way the other side thinks.

Let me ask this. If some guy rolls need on an item for his companion, and you roll need for yourself and win, would he scream and yell about how you took his item? Of course he wouldn't. He doesn't feel entitled to the item, just a fair chance at it. But when you lose the roll you scream that you were robbed.

He losses a roll: "Oh well, it was a fair roll"

You lose a roll: "HE'S A THIEF, I WAS ROBBED!!!"

Who has the "ME ME ME" mentality here.

... really?

You can't see how it is a little stupid to try to say that a player is guilty of a "me me me" mentality when they lose an item to a person who will give it to an npc companion that they probably won't be using 10 minutes from now?

besides that, even if you fail to see reason, at least consider something you failed to realize that if "my companion needs it" is a legit reason to roll on loot your own character can't use, then that really sets the precedent for people to roll on practically any mutha****** item in the game because "one of my companions can use it hurp"

... really?

You can't see how it is a little stupid to try to say that a player is guilty of a "me me me" mentality when they lose an item to a person who will give it to an npc companion that they probably won't be using 10 minutes from now?

besides that, even if you fail to see reason, at least consider something you failed to realize that if "my companion needs it" is a legit reason to roll on loot your own character can't use, then that really sets the precedent for people to roll on practically any mutha****** item in the game because "one of my companions can use it hurp"

They wont roll on everything, only things that would be a direct upgrade for their companion.

And you also backed up my assertion about the "me me me" mentality. You talk about losing an item to someone, but you're not losing anything. That items doesn't belong to you, it is there for anyone who wants it to roll for it.

Read the first few pages, then skipped to the last and thankfully found this:

It's good to see people with actual common sense.

As a healing specced player, I'd like my tank companion in top shape. Some elites really hit like trucks so anything to make him tougher is most welcome. Needing for him is viable, but it depends on the situation and established rules of course. No rules = fair game. You need if you have immediate use for it, and equipping it to a companion right after the instance is about as immediate as winning a crafting material and using it would be.

The people that don't "need" companions with decent gear are probably the facerolling DPS people. The ones each MMO has too many of and are most disposable. Oddly they feel they have most right to gear, perhaps because of the bigger competition. They try everything to limit other players to roll on gear because DPS players are generally selfish, which shows in their class choice. They offer no support.

Companions matter to healers and tanks (and should matter to others as well), and a (significant) upgrade for a companion is a viable reason to roll need. I'd rather have someone roll need for a companion, than having that person roll greed and someone else rolling greed as well wins just to vendor it.

As a healing specced player i actually are disgusted what you are saying.

You call that common sense i would call that spoiled

yes we do need a good tank companion for soloing as a healer

BUT

For the love of all that is sacred you dont take group content gear over a real player for something you use only in soloing.

I would suggest you would reconsider youre stance on this

Seems awful close to paladins/druids and why Blizz had to use the -10% on wearing something else then Leather/plate.

And shockingly that is because of people like you and the one you qouted

They wont roll on everything, only things that would be a direct upgrade for their companion.

with up to five companions spanning all armor types and gear progressively getting better, you ARE talking about people NEEDing everything.

this thinking is so flawed and obscured by selfishness

My companion is Bad *** and equiped with good armor/mods too.

I just didn't ninja them from other players in the world for it.

GTN,PVP,story quest reward companion armor, craft your own, use commedations, trade between characters...

with soo many ways to equip your companion. Needing for comps in flash's IS stealing. just admit it.

My companion can kick your companions *** and I have never screwed anybody to do it. Can you say the same? Take down the viel of internet anonimity and you would act differently (or you really are just a horrible person)

[quote=snooggums;1648608

You are the selfish player, the one who is all jealous because someone else wanted something YOU thought YOU deserved. Please do put me on ignore.

Woah! You think HE is selfish? The selfish person rolls need for his companion instead of a player getting it for his character. I am glad someone has finally addressed this and I hope that in the future something can be implemented in game to stop this.

Originally Posted by Zebular

My own common sense has lead me to believe:

My created character is my character.

My obtained companion characters are my characters.

My obtained ship character is my character.

My characters that I am not playing, at that moment, are my alternate character(s).

I would clarify this to say that only the companion that I use regularly should count. Companions that sit on the ship doing diplomacy missions don't need gear over those that would use it right away.

Originally posted by Rammiee:

As a healing specced player, I'd like my tank companion in top shape. Some elites really hit like trucks so anything to make him tougher is most welcome. Needing for him is viable, but it depends on the situation and established rules of course. No rules = fair game. You need if you have immediate use for it, and equipping it to a companion right after the instance is about as immediate as winning a crafting material and using it would be.

My tank companion (Corso) needs good armor or he dies.

Originally posted by Rammie:

I'd rather have someone roll need for a companion, than having that person roll greed and someone else rolling greed as well wins just to vendor it.

This is why I think it would be worthwhile to add a "need for companion" button.

As part of a four-man group, I earn the right to a quarter of the loot. If I use my quarter to upgrade my companion, rather than myself, why should that matter to anyone else?

Clarification: Just because it is possible that I need to fill more gear slots (myself and my companion) than someone that doesn't see any need to upgrade their companion's gear, it does not mean that I deserve a larger share of the loot. I deserve a quarter of the loot and I should be able to distribute that quarter in the way that is most effective for my overall character.

Personally, I would prefer they got rid of bind-on-equip and need-before-greed, and just assign loot randomly. NBG is biased towards people that cannot be bothered to upgrade their gear regularly. If someone else got something that you wanted, you could barter for it or buy it from the GTN with the cash you get for your share of the loot. On items that are not bind-on-equip, you can do that now.

But if we have to distribute based on need (which bind-on-equip leads to) my companion is an integral part of my character and needs gear as much as anyone does.

Disclaimer: None of this likely applies for level 50ish adventuring since I expect you don't need to gear your companion anymore one you are 50 (am I correct?).

All that said, I would not roll need on a bind-on-equip item without discussing it first, since it would likely lead to spending the next hour arguing about it, and no pre-50 loot is worth that.

Edited by sjmc

Companion discrimination is running rampant here. Companions need gear. All this hate speech directed towards our best friends should not be tolerated

I am starting the CDL or Companion Defamation League. "companions need gear, we will make you care!"

Edited by RealAeiouy

As a healing specced player i actually are disgusted what you are saying.

You call that common sense i would call that spoiled

yes we do need a good tank companion for soloing as a healer

BUT

For the love of all that is sacred you dont take group content gear over a real player for something you use only in soloing.

I would suggest you would reconsider youre stance on this

Seems awful close to paladins/druids and why Blizz had to use the -10% on wearing something else then Leather/plate.

And shockingly that is because of people like you and the one you qouted

Don't be such a moron. I said it's viable and understandable, I wouldn't rage if someone needs for their companion. I said it's dependant on the situation. If the person I roll against is an awful player then the item would be more suited for my companion so I roll need. If the person is a moron, I roll need. If someone definitely needs it for his own character, I roll greed or pass. If that makes me awful, I couldn't care less.

And don't bring WoW crap here. I never played it because the people there are... generally the ones one shouldn't be playing with.

I have something called adaptability. I do not stubbornly stick to some mindset and force it on other players, or stick with a mindset from another MMO with different mechanics. Playing without scripts and macros left me with individual thought, which seems like a rarity.

[quote=_Rammie_;1741651. I said it's dependant on the situation. If the person I roll against is an awful player then the item would be more suited for my companion so I roll need. If the person is a moron, I roll need.

And don't bring WoW crap here. I never played it because the people there are... generally the ones one shouldn't be playing with.

Incredible. You do an analysis on the player and decide if they are worthy and if not then you roll need.

Even in Wow I never came across that bad of an attitude with any player.

Maybe the person was 'awful' because they needed that piece you just took for your companion.

I think this wins the prize for the most amazing post I have seen in many years of gaming.

EDIT: I realize that my original post is unnecessarily confrontational, and has ignited a pointless debate, so I will re-state the original (which follows below).

Dear People who are New to Need/Greed:

IF you roll "Need" on a drop that your character can't use, but other people in the group can, you run the risk of being booted from the group, being /ignored, and generally, lessening your chances of finding a decent group going forward. That is the sizable risk you take by rolling "Need" on gear your character can't equip, when there is another character in the group who CAN equip it.

IF you do this, some people will perceive you to be: a) a ninja, b) a selfish person, and/or c)

a person to avoid in the future.

Just a friendly word to people who are new to the Need/Greed system.

Original post follows:

Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

Period.

It's bad enough that some people think it is ok to roll Need on gear for their companions while other people who can use the gear are in your group.

What's worse is that the game allows this.

If you EVER roll Need on gear for your comp when someone of that class is in your group, you are a greedy, selfish person who is ruining someone else's experience.

Need for companions = Need for alts

Don't look down

Well aren't you an arrogant little self important person. See, I paid for the game just like you. I'll most likely be paying a subscription, just like you. To date I haven't seen anywhere in "rule book" for SWTOR that states I have to roll a certain way on something because you feel like I should. So, until I do, I'll roll as I see fit. Now go play Third Reich with yourself in the mirror.

Incredible. You do an analysis on the player and decide if they are worthy and if not then you roll need.

Even in Wow I never came across that bad of an attitude with any player.

Maybe the person was 'awful' because they needed that piece you just took for your companion.

I think this wins the prize for the most amazing post I have seen in many years of gaming.

Indeed. It's painful to see a good item go to a useless player, I'd rather see it go to a companion then. And I don't know what you do in fights, but really awful players are hard to miss. You'd rather have some neat gear go to the player that made the run a pain than it going to your companion?

And again, I can live with people rolling for companions, as I understand that they're an important part of this game. If you do not like companions, just go back to WoW. Learn to adapt, or get out. Don't enforce your ridiculous rules on a game with different mechanics. Adaptability for the win.

This game is unique in the area of companions and MMOs. The companion is our character, btw. Without the companion, most of the content is impossible to play solo, and gearing our companions up is very important.

The scruples of the other people in my group aren't necessary more holy than the scruples of my need for my companion to have gear to assist my game play.

I am saying that because there are many people who do not actually need the gear to improve what they already have. But since they are the class that uses that gear, they feel like they are more privileged than my companion, which is just an extension of myself.

I do not group much. I am as fair in my logic of whether or not I roll greed or need as I can be. If I compare the gear to what I have already and decide, rather quickly i might add, that I need it, that is what I roll.

I have had people in chat tell me that the companion doesn't deserve any gear because they didn't participate in the group. I somewhat see that logic. But to deny their importance to the player in the group is just not realistic, in my opinion.

60 pages? :eek:

Time for a summary:

1. Many people think that it isn't fair to roll need for a companion if someone else needs it for a character.
  2. Roughly the same number of people think it is perfectly fair to roll need for a companion if someone else needs it for a character
  3. After 60 pages of argument, almost all people with opinion (1) still have opinion (1), and almost all people with opinion (2) still have opinion (2)
  4. The accuracy of point (3) won't stop people arguing...
  5. Some small voices occasionally point out that if groups are civil and agree loot rules beforehand, either opinion could be equally valid. They tend to get drowned out in the flamestorm, however...

That cover everything? :)

Thanks for telling me how to play my game that i pay just as much as you for!

Ignore me all you want but in a pug enviroment i will roll need if i or my companions needs said item unless i specifically agreed not to do so when joining the group. In a guild enviroment it depents on the their rules for it, again that would mean i agree to abide to it by joining said guild.

I agree. VERY replaceable.

***other ways of gearing companions without stealing from the players that helped get the item for you.***

1) GTN, just buy whatever you want. And help the economy work.. other players benefit

2) Craft them stuff. you worry about your companions having the best gear? take a crafting skill that will always keep them up to date.

3) take the items designed specifically for them at the end of certain quests. thats what its there for.

4) overlevel then try to do heroics solo with companion. Take all you want...

5) PVP to get gear for them

6) use eqiupment commedations to buy them new gear.

look i can go on and on. Gear your comps all you want. just dont need on gear dropped in a 4 man flashpoint where a player could use it.

Its been said before but Companions do not help in PVP, warzones, flaspoints, operations and so on. Therefore they should not take priority.

Treat others in the community as you would like to be treated and all will be well. Players will appreciate this. Companions affection meter will not change...

Don't forget the daily heroic to get a level 50 orange weapon for your companions.

The only thing I wish for: When you add a toon to your ignore list, it ignores that persons ACCOUNT.

When I group with cool people that don't need roll for their companions, I add them to my friends list.

The ironic thing? I had a Sith Assassin in a group. He/she was rolling need on everything. I rolled need on a double handed lightsaber (I was playing my BH), I rolled need and won it. Boy was he mad. Myself and the other 2 people were laughing as he got a taste of his/her own medicine.

Since you want to dictate my decision on Need and Greed, can you come to my house and push my attack buttons too?

Excuse me but what are you doing? By rolling need on companion gear you are there for dictating the loot rules if not bending them to make yourself seem correct. I know it's so hard to ask people to not be let's see whats the word here, INCONSIDERATE and leave gear for peoples MAINS. I mean hell you can have it if he don't need it.

As far as I'm concerned companion looting is the new style of ninja looting. I will never play in a party without loot rules up anymore and I will not be amazed when everyone else does the same, if it's not changed.

The ironic thing? I had a Sith Assassin in a group. He/she was rolling need on everything. I rolled need on a double handed lightsaber (I was playing my BH), I rolled need and won it. Boy was he mad. Myself and the other 2 people were laughing as he got a taste of his/her own medicine.

But you are a Bounty Hunter and none of your Companions can use that loot! <- Companion need roll logic. So the guy still thinks he is doing it right ;)

Wow. I'm shocked so many of you think it's cool to roll 'need' for your companion over a player, it should be a no brainer for anyone who's played an MMO before. No wonder this game/forum is in such a ****** state. Never again will I play an MMO based on such a popular IP, brings out all the ******es, like the people who think it's cool to roll need for a pet.

God, I loathe this community.

Wow. I'm shocked so many of you think it's cool to roll 'need' for your companion over a player, it should be a no brainer for anyone who's played an MMO before. No wonder this game/forum is in such a ****** state. Never again will I play an MMO based on such a popular IP, brings out all the ******es, like the people who think it's cool to roll need for a pet.

God, I loathe this community.

no other mmo has been so heavily based around running with your companion as swtor is, so of course you never played an mmo before with people that think this way.