Unreal Engine 4 for swtor : missed opportunity

TrixxieTriss

No it won't. They straight up said no new engine for SWTOR. They hear us asking for one, but they aren't doing it

It would be insanely cost prohibitive in time and manpower to port an entire game like this into another engine.

It wouldn't be worth the effort, they'd be better off making a completely new game instead.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it won't. They straight up said no new engine for SWTOR. They hear us asking for one, but they aren't doing it

Here we are in 2021 and no PC is capable of running 8v8 Warzones at 60fps at all times.

I have a Ryzen 5800x + 3070Ti + 3866Mhz 32gb ram + NvME SSD. The game drops to 35-40fps in the middle of all the action in a level 75 warzone. No matter if it's on Low, medium or High settings.

Friend of mine has an Intel 11900K + 3080Ti + 32gb 3600mhz + SSD, it drops to ~45fps on Yavin 4 mid node with everyone using skills.

Here we are in 2021 and no PC is capable of running 8v8 Warzones at 60fps at all times.

I have a Ryzen 5800x + 3070Ti + 3866Mhz 32gb ram + NvME SSD. The game drops to 35-40fps in the middle of all the action in a level 75 warzone. No matter if it's on Low, medium or High settings.

Friend of mine has an Intel 11900K + 3080Ti + 32gb 3600mhz + SSD, it drops to ~45fps on Yavin 4 mid node with everyone using skills.

That’s not entirely true. My FPS never drops below 120FPS because I don’t have all my graphics setting up to max.

If you turn your shadows off and bloom off you should run at higher speeds than me because you’ve the better system. The only reason you might not is if you are using higher refresh rate monitor(s).

But I do agree that we should be able to run max settings on a system like yours and never drop below 100FPS.

That’s not entirely true. My FPS never drops below 120FPS because I don’t have all my graphics setting up to max.

If you turn your shadows off and bloom off you should run at higher speeds than me because you’ve the better system. The only reason you might not is if you are using higher refresh rate monitor(s).

But I do agree that we should be able to run max settings on a system like yours and never drop below 100FPS.

Can I ask you something? Can you record a video of you playing a level 75 warzone in the middle of 12+ players using skills? I want to see if your FPS will stay above 60.

Can I ask you something? Can you record a video of you playing a level 75 warzone in the middle of 12+ players using skills? I want to see if your FPS will stay above 60.

Nope, because that is enough to reduce the FPS below 100ms.

Maybe try what I’ve suggested with the settings in my previous post and you can also run at higher FPS.

Also, I what hertz and Rez is your monitor (you haven’t said) and are you using display port, DVI or HDMI to connect.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Nope, because that is enough to reduce the FPS below 100ms.

Maybe try what I’ve suggested with the settings in my previous post and you can also run at higher FPS.

Also, I what hertz and Rez is your monitor (you haven’t said) and are you using display port, DVI or HDMI to connect.

Yes that's exactly my point, there's no CPU or GPU capable of keeping 60+fps in the middle of 12+ players in warzones.

In raids my fps is 100+ easily because it's just 8 players, but when it comer to 12+ then it drops from 60 frequently.

I use hdmi, 60hz 1080p but i'm gonna upgrade to 2580x1440p 120hz soon.

Yes that's exactly my point, there's no CPU or GPU capable of keeping 60+fps in the middle of 12+ players in warzones.

In raids my fps is 100+ easily because it's just 8 players, but when it comer to 12+ then it drops from 60 frequently.

I use hdmi, 60hz 1080p but i'm gonna upgrade to 2580x1440p 120hz soon.

Your CPU and GPU should be more than fine to run 100FPS in 8v8 warzones with shadows and bloom off on a 1080p monitor at 60hz. I don’t know why it isn’t unless you’re streaming and/or have other background apps running. But you can guarantee you’ll get a definite decrease in performance when you jump to that monitor you’re thinking of upgrading to.

As a comparison, my i7 7700k is OC’k to run at 4.7ghz across all cores constantly. I also have a GTX 1080 that runs 3 x 1080p monitors in surround at 60hz. With 16GB ram and SSD. I get 120-200FPS in warzones.

But I’ve got 3 new 1080p 240hz monitors ready to go. When I tested them in a WZ, my FPS dropped down to 70FPS. I’ve since back ordered a RX 6700 XT and a RTX 3070 because of stock shortages and I’ll test both to see which performs better with my set up and sell the other.

The only thing I can suggest is making sure you have all back ground apps off when you test. Even Ubisoft recently posted a list of things that decrease performance in their games. Have a look at their list and turn off any you have on to see if that improves your performance.

https://wccftech.com/ubisoft-says-apps-like-discord-skype-can-cause-issues-in-its-games/

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Your CPU and GPU should be more than fine to run 100FPS in 8v8 warzones with shadows and bloom off on a 1080p monitor at 60hz. I don’t know why it isn’t unless you’re streaming and/or have other background apps running. But you can guarantee you’ll get a definite decrease in performance when you jump to that monitor you’re thinking of upgrading to.

where is this expertise coming from? I'm not criticizing. i just want to source check as I look into possible new hw.

where is this expertise coming from? I'm not criticizing. i just want to source check as I look into possible new hw.

I’m a semi retired systems builder with my own IT business. I’ve lots of parts I can test in my workshop and have tested lots for swtor over the years.

It’s hard to find web sources specifically for swtor. Most of my knowledge comes from comparing systems on my work bench and also reading tech forums and reviews. If your looking for monitors vs swtor, the thing to remember is it’s originally designed for 1080p at 60hz. So it’s not optimised for higher hz or resolution. (It’s way I stuck with 1080p for my new monitors). The other poster said they were looking at 2580x1440p 120hz, which would put some strain on the engine (even with their good hardware it will have a negative impact, but how much is unknown until they test).

Also, according to ChrisS they are redoing the UI to improve FPS performance, so the changes may improve performance for higher res / hz monitors. You also need a good graphics card to drive those highend monitors, especially if you have multiple monitors.

That said, the new Intel Alderlake series was soft launched today and will be available for sale on the 4th-5th of Nov.

For other more modern games it should surpass the current AMD CPU series in gaming by up to 30% in some cases. But that’s Intel marketing, so I’d wait for real world reviews.

It looks like an interesting hybrid setup with P cores for performance and E cores for low power and less important tasking. You will need Windows 11 for that to work properly as Windows 10 can’t differentiate between the cores.

Now wether it’s any good for swtor, time will tell. I plan on building a new system based on the 12600k CPU to test for my business ;)

The difficulty will be getting stock of all the different parts because my whole sale suppliers are telling me there are delays on the DDR5 Ram and many of the motherboards are still in transit on ships. Otherwise I could have a test rig up and running on launch day and tell you how it performs.

Edit: I thought I’d add that the higher your monitor resolution the lower your FPS will be in any game. As an example, have a look at this review on the RX 6600 XT and you can see how much of an impact the higher res has on FPS in the games tested. Sadly, there is no Dx9 games or hero engine games to compare. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-6600-xt-pulse-oc/5.html

But from my own experience for swtor, you are better to stick with 1080p res and use a good graphics card to drive a higher refresh rate monitor than higher res monitor.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Even WoW hasn't ever introduced a new engine; FFXIV - which desperately needs it - has no plans to do so, either.

It's like replacing the frame, transmission, and the engine of an old car - you're better off just building a new vehicle. This is especially true with MMORPGs, because of the fickle way that the universal playerbase (all 'potential' MMO players) view these games: they generally give them one try, and if they aren't blown away, the game 'sucks.' TOR isn't an amazing product, but it was definitely a victim of this locust mentality, and those people will never come back, even if you dropped a hundred million rebuilding the car from the ground-up.

TOR had one chance to make a major dent in the market, and it failed to do so. That's it. Pray for another Star Wars MMORPG.

Edited by AJediKnight

first version of UE 4 came out 2014

this is honestly the best point in this thread, people without any experience or knowledge just think someone can wave a magic wand and magically everything transfers from an engine the game has and been developed on to a new engine

some of you need a reality check

Even WoW hasn't ever introduced a new engine; FFXIV - which desperately needs it - has no plans to do so, either.

It's like replacing the frame, transmission, and the engine of an old car - you're better off just building a new vehicle. This is especially true with MMORPGs, because of the fickle way that the universal playerbase (all 'potential' MMO players) view these games: they generally give them one try, and if they aren't blown away, the game 'sucks.' TOR isn't an amazing product, but it was definitely a victim of this locust mentality, and those people will never come back, even if you dropped a hundred million rebuilding the car from the ground-up.

TOR had one chance to make a major dent in the market, and it failed to do so. That's it. Pray for another Star Wars MMORPG.

FFXIV has an amazing performance, it runs dx11 64bit.

There's one little trick to make your fps high in that game, limit the maximum visible characters to 20.

If you let the game renderize 100 players then it'll have bad performance.

Doing 24man raids I get 80+ fps, doing tier A Hunts and Bozja I get 80+ fps easily.

It would be insanely cost prohibitive in time and manpower to port an entire game like this into another engine.

It wouldn't be worth the effort, they'd be better off making a completely new game instead.

i do not think either of you understand?

they do NOT HAVE to "port" this game to a "new engine".

All they have to do is go back to the UN-FORKED version of Hero Engine WHICH ALREADY (and has for YEARS) supports DX12, IS 64-bit, and is built for MODERN SYSTEMS OUT OF THE BOX. AND it has many more great features ALREADY OUT OF THE BOX. Right now we are stuck with a forked code base that had STOPPED DEVELOPMENT of THAT version since what, 2007??? :( Yet the people who MAKE Hero Engine kept on developing it and i have read their website many times now. NONE OF THE THINGS that modern main code base Hero Engine either does or can do now, are things that forked SWTOR is doing now.

The devs ALSO said they were taking suggestions and requests from DISABLED people who have either bad EYESIGHT or other DISABILITIES as to how to make the game MORE ACCESSIBLE for handicapped people -- like me and many many others. THIS ABSOLUTELY DOES NECESSITATE A GRAPHICS ENGINE UPGRADE IN MANY CASES. Period.

so i didnt exactly imply that we would get Unreal or Frostbite (but it really is NOT IMPOSSIBLE and it would never be Frostbite now, anyway). BUT IT CAN HAPPEN and they DID say they were bringing MANY BIG things for us for 10th anniversary. And frankly i think they LIED or SPUN DISINFO about "no new engine". Sorry but i do not believe them or you, when it comes to this topic.

i just will not believe you. i think i know better.

and i, too, am a semi-retired PC system builder like that other guy is.

by the way, and maybe it doesnt matter, but i know the devs read my posts and my suggestions because COMBAT STYLES was MY IDEA at the very least (maybe other people said similar things on the forums as well, but i know dang well for sure i had it in my suggestions for new game expansions posts for at least the past 2-3 years).

Edited by lightningseven

All they have to do is go back to the UN-FORKED version of Hero Engine WHICH ALREADY (and has for YEARS) supports DX12, IS 64-bit, and is built for MODERN SYSTEMS OUT OF THE BOX. AND it has many more great features ALREADY OUT OF THE BOX. Right now we are stuck with a forked code base that had STOPPED DEVELOPMENT of THAT version since what, 2007??? :( Yet the people who MAKE Hero Engine kept on developing it and i have read their website many times now. NONE OF THE THINGS that modern main code base Hero Engine either does or can do now, are things that forked SWTOR is doing now.

The devs ALSO said they were taking suggestions and requests from DISABLED people who have either bad EYESIGHT or other DISABILITIES as to how to make the game MORE ACCESSIBLE for handicapped people -- like me and many many others. THIS ABSOLUTELY DOES NECESSITATE A GRAPHICS ENGINE UPGRADE IN MANY CASES. Period.

so i didnt exactly imply that we would get Unreal or Frostbite (but it really is NOT IMPOSSIBLE and it would never be Frostbite now, anyway). BUT IT CAN HAPPEN and they DID say they were bringing MANY BIG things for us for 10th anniversary. And frankly i think they LIED or SPUN DISINFO about "no new engine". Sorry but i do not believe them or you, when it comes to this topic.

by the way, and maybe it doesnt matter, but i know the devs read my posts and my suggestions because COMBAT STYLES was MY IDEA at the very least (maybe other people said similar things on the forums as well, but i know dang well for sure i had it in my suggestions for new game expansions posts for at least the past 2-3 years).

There’s no such thing as going back to an unforked version because BioWare never actually had a fully released version. When they acquired the rights to use the engine it was still in alpha testing. Which means the majority of the engine in swtor is customised by BioWare engineers. There is obviously some original Hero Engine DNA in the game, but not as much as you think. It would be ludicrous to even try going back and untangling it so you could apply a more modern version of Hero. The costs would nearly be the same as porting it to a much better and easier to manage game engine.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

lol, do you honestly think they can just flip over 10 years of independent development by BW on their custom engine into the main Hero engine?

Also, "COMBAT STYLES was MY IDEA"

how arrogant can you get? This has been an idea floating around in one form or another for many years. Congrats, you sound like a kid that just solved their first quadratic equation, only to claim they invented algebra.

lol, do you honestly think they can just flip over 10 years of independent development by BW on their custom engine into the main Hero engine?

Also, "COMBAT STYLES was MY IDEA"

how arrogant can you get? This has been an idea floating around in one form or another for many years. Congrats, you sound like a kid that just solved their first quadratic equation, only to claim they invented algebra.

uhhhh Combat Styles WAS MY IDEA (and i did write a post about it SEVERAL YEARS AGO). You never read my tagline?

Read my old post about it: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=889020

i also did not say that it was ONLY my idea. But i was one of the ones who did talk about it, ON HERE, MANY years ago. When i mention "Proficiencies" in that post? that is what i was talking about, like in tabletop RPGs you can have 1 degree or another more ability with certain kinds of gear, instead of only 1 kind of gear.

THAT, BASICALLY, IS combat styles + loadouts.

Also to the others: there is no way you can possibly know what is possible and what is not, unless you have ever tinkered with Hero Engine CODE and the SWTOR forked code base, and seen the differences.

I HAVE NOT DONE THAT, no, but that would be the only sure-fire way to know 1 way or the other, as to whether we would get real engine upgrades in some form, or not.

A LOT OF FEAR, UNCERTAINTY, and DOUBT, and EXTREMELY NEGATIVE BIAS ALL OVER this thread!!!!

So, yes, read BOTH LINKED POSTS in my tagline and see where i was at, years ago, and MAYBE DEVS LISTENED ???

MAYBE.

uhhhh Combat Styles WAS MY IDEA (and i did write a post about it SEVERAL YEARS AGO). You never read my tagline?

Read my old post about it: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=889020

i also did not say that it was ONLY my idea. But i was one of the ones who did talk about it, ON HERE, MANY years ago. When i mention "Proficiencies" in that post? that is what i was talking about, like in tabletop RPGs you can have 1 degree or another more ability with certain kinds of gear, instead of only 1 kind of gear.

THAT, BASICALLY, IS combat styles + loadouts.

Also to the others: there is no way you can possibly know what is possible and what is not, unless you have ever tinkered with Hero Engine CODE and the SWTOR forked code base, and seen the differences.

I HAVE NOT DONE THAT, no, but that would be the only sure-fire way to know 1 way or the other, as to whether we would get real engine upgrades in some form, or not.

A LOT OF FEAR, UNCERTAINTY, and DOUBT, and EXTREMELY NEGATIVE BIAS ALL OVER this thread!!!!

So, yes, read BOTH LINKED POSTS in my tagline and see where i was at, years ago, and MAYBE DEVS LISTENED ???

MAYBE.

So after admitting you’ve not seen the code yourself, you say our logical conclusions are wrong because we’ve not seen the code. Not only that, but in your previous post you flat out said BioWare were wrong or lying when they said they had no plans to upgrade the engine. Talk about a big head syndrome and arrogance.