Bracket Changes, and What's Next

ChrisSchmidt

When your data shows you that the massive drop of PvP participants correlates with your change to only reward WINS in warzones, then I really think you should buy a round of beer for the whole forum community.

The way I see it:

A. You changed PvP rewards to WIN only.

B. Since that change you lost so many PvP players that you needed to kill a whole PvP bracket and create a huge level imbalance, just so that you can fill up the queues again.

Conclusio: Your change to WIN-only caused the OPPOSITE of what you intended. Not more players started playing PvP. More quit.

Who saw that coming?

To quote Sheldon Cooper: "Oh, I so informed you thusly".

I don't need to say anything man... you said it all right here. Win only and level merge looks more like intentional sabotage then helping anything.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need to say anything man... you said it all right here. Win only and level merge looks more like intentional sabotage then helping anything.

Yep, we all saw how badly the win only and lockout decision was impacting pvp. We pointed out people were leaving and having the opposite affect. Tried to get BioWare to see reason. But they never admit a mistake. They just double down and sabotage their own game more because of pride.

Yep, we all saw how badly the win only and lockout decision was impacting pvp. We pointed out people were leaving and having the opposite affect. Tried to get BioWare to see reason. But they never admit a mistake. They just double down and sabotage their own game more because of pride.

seems that way, just came out of a match, 4 low levels against 3 high levels, didn't get to do anything, as I was targeted from the start, and stunned, couldn't move most of the rounds....

The sad part is, this is common. And there's worse.

seems that way, just came out of a match, 4 low levels against 3 high levels, didn't get to do anything, as I was targeted from the start, and stunned, couldn't move most of the rounds....

The sad part is, this is common. And there's worse.

the only way this is tenable is by granting players more of their abilities earlier in the leveling process, specifically mobility, closers, escapes, and INTERRUPTS. you just cannot compensate for the lack of those things with bolster.

things are easier on some classes at low level than others. trying to do anything in an arena as a sentinel in the teens is pathetic. just the one closer that requires distance, no movement buffs or escapes. no way to generate resources when you're snared, rooted, and stunned. I haven't had that issue playing sin or mando in the 10-29 range, but the sin has stealth so he can avoid being focused, and he doesn't have to use a builder ability to use his basic offensive attack(s). the mando has the benefit of range on top of not needed a builder ability.

also, how impossibly DUMB is it to put anyone in a WZ w/o an interrupt? not even a lousy interrupt in the teens for that sentinel.

Edited by CheesyEZ

The only way the 10-74 bracket is viable is to give everyone their class abilities when they enter pvp at lvl 10.

Yes this will be confusing for new players. But BioWare made this bed, so now they need to make it work. As it is, it’s a far worse experience than before.

Either seperate the brackets again and incentivise people to play lowbies and pvp. Or give players a fighting chance by granting all abilities and utilities up to lvl 74 in lowbies.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The only way the 10-74 bracket is viable is to give everyone their class abilities when they enter pvp at lvl 10.

Yes this will be confusing for new players. But BioWare made this bed, so now they need to make it work. As it is, it’s a far worse experience than before.

Either seperate the brackets again and incentivise people to play lowbies and pvp. Or give players a fighting chance by granting all abilities and utilities up to lvl 74 in lowbies.

another option could be that only limited stuns could work, say if you are stunned twice in a row, you couldn't be a third time, or something like that.

false.

bolster works just fine at equalizing attack power and mitigating dmg. the real problem is mobility, cc, and escapes (or lack of them for low levels).

you don't need to unlock the entire tech tree (snake? ladder?), but you do need to unlock the cc, movement, and escape abilities that every class has by 66.

Edited by CheesyEZ

false.

bolster works just fine at equalizing attack power and mitigating dmg. the real problem is mobility, cc, and escapes (or lack of them for low levels).

you don't need to unlock the entire tech tree (snake? ladder?), but you do need to unlock the cc, movement, and escape abilities that every class has by 66.

Most of which are linked to unlocking the majority of the utility tree. If they are ever to go down this path, they may as well go the whole way and give everyone the same abilities up to lvl 74. That way it’s 100% lvl playing field and it comes down to skill and not lvl.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

another option could be that only limited stuns could work, say if you are stunned twice in a row, you couldn't be a third time, or something like that.

The 10-74 bracket idea is a massive failure in terms of playability and enjoyment for anyone below lvl 40. Whoever thought this would work and be healthy for pvp or that it was a good idea, needs a refresher on game development.

Most of which are linked to unlocking the majority of the utility tree. If they are ever to go down this path, they may as well go the whole way and give everyone the same abilities up to lvl 74. That way it’s 100% lvl playing field and it comes down to skill and not lvl.

every class has a base mobility enhancement, hard stun, and sap. you don't need to run through the heroic skills options for these. it's a lot less convoluted to add the standard stun, sap, stealth, hydrolics, barrier, undying, w/e. that's like 3-4 activated abilities per class rather than throwing the entire playbook of the class on a new player at lvl 10.

I wouldn't care if they opened the whole book to lvl 10s, but that's a far cry from just giving them their class base CCs, movements, and escapes.

The 10-74 bracket idea is a massive failure in terms of playability and enjoyment for anyone below lvl 40. Whoever thought this would work and be healthy for pvp or that it was a good idea, needs a refresher on game development.

I know, and you know. But this came from a certain group. The is no healthy pvp anymore, it's premade ranked people rolfstomping their way through it. All they care about is queues popping all the time, so they can keep smashing their way through, and believing they are really great.

This has been brought up a few times, and if you look on FB, and others places that don't have biased people in control, you can see different stories.

The changes of brackets was purely to make pvp pop more, it doesn't promote anything healthy.

All it's going to do in the end, is stop new people from learning, and wanting to get better. When the queues stop popping, we'll see more pushes from GS, and/or bigger rewards, or possibly even cross server.

every class has a base mobility enhancement, hard stun, and sap. you don't need to run through the heroic skills options for these. it's a lot less convoluted to add the standard stun, sap, stealth, hydrolics, barrier, undying, w/e. that's like 3-4 activated abilities per class rather than throwing the entire playbook of the class on a new player at lvl 10.

I wouldn't care if they opened the whole book to lvl 10s, but that's a far cry from just giving them their class base CCs, movements, and escapes.

the system is not fair at the moment, a level 10 versus a level 74 is unbalanced, and bolstering will never fix that, there are too many other factors to consider, before they can be even considered, that's why there was always brackets.

So small fish could learn to grow, become big fish, before heading to a bigger ponds, then training from small fish again, to be bigger fish, then eventually, training enough to be come a shark, and take a bite out of ranked.

the system is not fair at the moment, a level 10 versus a level 74 is unbalanced, and bolstering will never fix that, there are too many other factors to consider, before they can be even considered, that's why there was always brackets.

So small fish could learn to grow, become big fish, before heading to a bigger ponds, then training from small fish again, to be bigger fish, then eventually, training enough to be come a shark, and take a bite out of ranked.

I think this'll my last post in here. I don't like being dragged into these pb loops.

bolster isn't perfect, but it does do an adequate job of buffing 1) lower level player's passive mitigation and 2) lower level's limited and basic attacks. what's sorely missing for lower level players is not the strength of their attacks or their passive mitigation. it is their ability to control, escape, chase, and kite. 90% of those abilities are rolled-up in having your class' base CC, escape/mobility abilities.

let me explain: on a concentration sentinel, I can go toe to toe with any level 70+ class in the game so long as we both just stand there hitting each other. i've tested this numerous times. I can actually dps down a 70s AP PT with nothing more than unbuffed saber ward, rebuke, and the cc breaker.

the problem occurs when the lower level player has to move. no low level player has the CC or the movement/escape abilities to kite anything under 20, and even under 40 it's pretty rough. I don't need the immunity + root breaker attached to the lvl 66(?) ability that makes JKs "sprint" 30m or the skill that goes along with it. but I do need awe to aoe CC and force choke to hard stun players that are tunneling me. I need to be able to transcend at least once (valorous call) OR be able to stand and fight w/o generating resources with zen (again, valorous call). these are not specially talented abilities in the skill tree. they are not a slew of perks slowly built into the abilities ladder.

there a small group of basic class abilities that enable players to pvp on a very basic ground floor level of competition. I'm not arguing that mashing 10-74 together was a good idea. of course it's dumb. however, only a few small tweaks that grant 2-4 movement and CC related abilities + bolster the way it already works now would be sufficient to give low level players a chance to meaningfully contribute in both arenas and WZs. right now, what is a sorc in the teens going to do in an arena? no PW. no barrier. I think he has a sprint and one break. night not even have a CC. he could do solid dmg, but not if he doesn't have the opportunity to use is b/c he lacks his class' basic escapes. again, don't need to reinvent the wheel. don't need to give level 10s the whole skills library and have them setup all their bars and whatnot before each match. but yeah, give the 2-4 base mobility/cc/escape moves that everyone would have ~lvl 50.

Edited by CheesyEZ

• 2 weeks later...

I mean i just tried it. I qued as a lvl 16 for unranked. It was a total disaster!! As expected. Who in their clear mind would que for PVP if he was lvl 16, had 4 abilities and would be qued up against level 70s??? Are you guys our of your mind??

HOW is this supposed to increase pops?? People will not que at all!

When your data shows you that the massive drop of PvP participants correlates with your change to only reward WINS in warzones, then I really think you should buy a round of beer for the whole forum community.

The way I see it:

A. You changed PvP rewards to WIN only.

B. Since that change you lost so many PvP players that you needed to kill a whole PvP bracket and create a huge level imbalance, just so that you can fill up the queues again.

Conclusio: Your change to WIN-only caused the OPPOSITE of what you intended. Not more players started playing PvP. More quit.

Who saw that coming?

To quote Sheldon Cooper: "Oh, I so informed you thusly".

Maybe if we had a dev team that actually played their game or PVPed we wouldn't live in a reality of endless bad decisions and zero positive ones. Maybe the development team should spend LESS time listening to the extremely vocal minority of loudmouths on the forums and just log in to their game and queue for some warzones for once. Get some feedback by actually seeing the game they are responsible for in action. Like maybe a dev should hop on a lv.13 Jugg then try to 1v1 a lv.67 Jugg.

Maybe if we had a dev team that actually played their game or PVPed we wouldn't live in a reality of endless bad decisions and zero positive ones. Maybe the development team should spend LESS time listening to the extremely vocal minority of loudmouths on the forums and just log in to their game and queue for some warzones for once. Get some feedback by actually seeing the game they are responsible for in action. Like maybe a dev should hop on a lv.13 Jugg then try to 1v1 a lv.67 Jugg.

They do, I think. It's just that they're not allowed to publicly acknowledge which characters are theirs'. So, we're very unlikely to know. What's more, they get their marching orders from their corporate overlords at EA. So, as much as I believe they favor operatives for some unholy reason, I also believe that they are not very much in control.

I am not apologizing for them. They need pushback against these awful ideas from within Bioware, but people are far to interested in self preservation than in boldly opposing bad policies.

They do, I think. It's just that they're not allowed to publicly acknowledge which characters are theirs'. So, we're very unlikely to know. What's more, they get their marching orders from their corporate overlords at EA. So, as much as I believe they favor operatives for some unholy reason, I also believe that they are not very much in control.

I am not apologizing for them. They need pushback against these awful ideas from within Bioware, but people are far to interested in self preservation than in boldly opposing bad policies.

You are right that Bioware employees arent allowed to publicly say who they are in the game. I’m sure some of them play, but certainly not the ones who do the balancing or make stupid changes to the pvp eco systems.

As for the bad decisions, someone has to sign off on those and they are ultimately responsible for stupid policies like merging lowbies and mids. But along the way, someone had to come up with that idea and surely someone at Bioware could have said how fundamentally F’ing dumb it was. It’s more than one person making the ideas and decisions, surely there is someone still at BioWare with half a brain and enough balls to call out utter dumbarsery. Merging those brackets is the dumbest thing I think they’ve ever done (and they’ve done some dumb crap over the years). It’s why I feel there maybe elements in BioWare who are trying to sabotage the game so EA will move them onto another project. Like they moved the Anthem guys back to swtor (funny that?).

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

Based on the feedback we received from the community, the PvP brackets were reverted back to what they were prior to 6.3. The brackets are now 1-42, 43-74, and 75. This update was implemented with 6.3.1, but was missed in the patch notes. We are updating the patch notes to reflect this change.

Hi everyone,

Based on the feedback we received from the community, the PvP brackets were reverted back to what they were prior to 6.3. The brackets are now 1-42, 43-74, and 75. This update was implemented with 6.3.1, but was missed in the patch notes. We are updating the patch notes to reflect this change.

difficult to see, the future is. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

They just so happened to "Miss this in the patch notes"???

They wanted use to find out without saying. They didn't want to state they made a mistake with the PvP brackets and are now chalking it up to player feedback. We all know that is BS

They just so happened to "Miss this in the patch notes"???

They wanted use to find out without saying. They didn't want to state they made a mistake with the PvP brackets and are now chalking it up to player feedback. We all know that is BS

lmao is that a big deal? Like if this is the first time they forgot to write all the update changes. What is important here is that they listened to the community and did what it was asking, so thanks for that at least, BW, hopefully, we'll see more of that in the future.

We understand the impact that this had on our PvP community, and will be mindful of communicating changes such as consolidating the number of total queues and their intentions ahead of time before they are implemented.

-Chris

:csw_jabbapet:

Chris what happened to this? Communicating to the players about changes? Took a week for you guys to admit that you were wrong on the PvP bracket merging? A week to say hey we missed this in the patch notes and they will be reflected now? A week of people noticing the change, posting on the forums about it, and got no reply from the DEV team? So much communication coming from the DEV team about current changes.

lmao is that a big deal? Like if this is the first time they forgot to write all the update changes. What is important here is that they listened to the community and did what it was asking, so thanks for that at least, BW, hopefully, we'll see more of that in the future.

They didn't listen to the community. They implemented changes pre 6.3.1 that once again NO ONE asked for. Didn't communicate those changes. THEY MADE A MISTAKE WITH THE BRACKETS MERGING. THEY DECIDED TO DO THAT WITHOUT ANY INPUT FROM THE COMMUNITY. AND INSTEAD OF SAYING WE AS A DEV TEAM MADE A MISTAKE, WE ARE NOW LISTENING TO THE COMMUNITY. Do you really buy that? If so you are sadly being taken for a ride.

Edited by BallisticKaine

They didn't listen to the community. They implemented changes pre 6.3.1 that once again NO ONE asked for. Didn't communicate those changes. THEY MADE A MISTAKE WITH THE BRACKETS MERGING. THEY DECIDED TO DO THAT WITHOUT ANY INPUT FROM THE COMMUNITY. AND INSTEAD OF SAYING WE AS A DEV TEAM MADE A MISTAKE, WE ARE NOW LISTENING TO THE COMMUNITY. Do you really buy that? If so you are sadly being taken for a ride.

bruh, chill.

this is as close to admitting an error as you're ever going to get. just rejoice in not having 17s in the same arenas as 71s.

we can still laugh at BW for ever thinking that was a good idea in the first place. I think even my dog rolled his eyes when I read that one aloud (granted, hes smart for a dog; he only licks his balls after he's had dinner). :D