Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dear Story Team, What Year Are We Currently In?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Dear Story Team, What Year Are We Currently In?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ylliarus
05.24.2020 , 05:40 PM | #71
Sadly, no response from Charles Boyd over Twitter about this issue yet. But that's understandable! It's been the weekend so I can imagine even the devs want to take a break from their work when they're off on the weekends. Or well, I assume they're off on the weekends...

Anyway, I will try to tweet this thread and its topic at Charles Boyd tomorrow again. Perhaps he'll notice it then! And there really are a lot of players who would like answer on this question. It's not an issue that will go away at some point, as players will keep asking about this and will want to have an answer. The RP community alone keeps asking this question in Discord servers and chats. I don't see why the the devs can't come out with an answer as to the in-universe date, it would clear up a lot of confusion and speculation!
The One, True Lord Ryssius
Playing SWTOR since November 2012
Darth Malgus [EU]

ceryxp
05.24.2020 , 05:58 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Sadly, no response from Charles Boyd over Twitter about this issue yet. But that's understandable! It's been the weekend so I can imagine even the devs want to take a break from their work when they're off on the weekends. Or well, I assume they're off on the weekends...

Anyway, I will try to tweet this thread and its topic at Charles Boyd tomorrow again. Perhaps he'll notice it then! And there really are a lot of players who would like answer on this question. It's not an issue that will go away at some point, as players will keep asking about this and will want to have an answer. The RP community alone keeps asking this question in Discord servers and chats. I don't see why the the devs can't come out with an answer as to the in-universe date, it would clear up a lot of confusion and speculation!
Tomorrow, 24 May, is a holiday in the States (Memorial Day). The BW offices may be closed.
≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈
Just your average, opinionated, disabled, queer gaymer.

Ylliarus
05.24.2020 , 06:03 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
Tomorrow, 24 May, is a holiday in the States (Memorial Day). The BW offices may be closed.
Ah, noted! Then I will try the day after or somewhere else next week!
Darth Malgus [EU]

Ylliarus
05.26.2020 , 03:13 AM | #74
Yesterday there was a brief discussion going on in one of the RP servers I am a part of. It was a friendly discussion between roleplayers while debating the issue of the in-universe year, but it just showed how much confusion there exists.

The issue arose because Wookieepedia lists the events of Onslaught happening in 23 ATC on one page, but simultaneously also states they happen in 24 ATC on another one. Which shows that even on sites that work to convey the lore of Star Wars in the most accurate way are confused on this topic.

It's why it would help the lore of the game tremendously if the story team told us their perspective on how the timeline looks. If the story team shared their thoughts on what year SWTOR currently is in, that would help to clarify things immensely.
Darth Malgus [EU]

Ylliarus
05.27.2020 , 06:35 AM | #75
I know this will basically count as a bump, but this is a topic that a lot of players - myself included - care about. It's not a matter of urgency of course, but it would be really great to have some clarity regarding the matter.

And I can't imagine it would be too much to ask to have a short post outlining where the story team's thoughts are at regarding the timeline and what in-universe year the most recent story takes place in.
Darth Malgus [EU]

ceryxp
05.30.2020 , 09:07 AM | #76
Playing through Onslaught last night something Darth Savik said on Onderon caught my attention. Savik states that we, our PC, struck them down on Corellia and that they haven't engaged in direct combat in a decade. So, we can take "decade" either literally or as a general period of time roughly equal to or greater than ten years. We know that the Battle of Corellia occurred in 3641 BBY (12 ATC). A decade later, if taken literally, would place the year at 3631 BBY (22 ATC). According to the TOR Community timeline only three events occurred in 3631, the Raid on Darvannis, the GEMINI trap, and the Battle of Odessen. These events are Fallen Empire chapters XIV, XV, & XVI respectively. The TOR Community timeline places all of Eternal Throne and the events of the Traitor arc in 3630 BBY (23 ATC). I think that's wrong. I don't think that we should take Savik's "decade" as a literal ten years, at least not from the Battle of Corellia, but it wouldn't make sense for Savik to say a decade if they meant 12 years (which would make the year 3629 BBY (24 ATC)). Savik states that Corellia would have been their tomb if their droids had not found them, so they were clearly quite injured. I think it's reasonable to assume that the decade began after Savik's convalescence. I think the Raid on Darvannis, GEMINI trap, and Battle of Odessen occurred in 3632 BBY (21 ATC) along with the rest of Fallen Empire, and that Eternal Throne and the Traitor arc all occur in 3631 BBY (22 ATC), which places the current year at 3630 BBY (23 ATC) 11 years after the Battle of Corellia and roughly a decade after Darth Savik recovered from their injuries.

Something else that stuck out. Kira states that the transport that they placed Satele on was set to travel a course in the outer rim that put it weeks away from civilization. Kira also says that it will take a while for the transport to come into range. So I clearly underestimated the amount of time that has passed between the Meridian Complex Battle and the Task at Hand where Kira and Scourge say the transport is late. Interestingly, Wookieepedia places the Meridian Complex Battle in 3630 BBY (23 ATC).

Of course, this is all still just speculation, an official timeline would be greatly appreciated, and would settle any ambiguity in the timeline.

Ylliarus
05.30.2020 , 03:31 PM | #77
Playing through Onslaught last night something Darth Savik said on Onderon caught my attention. Savik states that we, our PC, struck them down on Corellia and that they haven't engaged in direct combat in a decade. So, we can take "decade" either literally or as a general period of time roughly equal to or greater than ten years. We know that the Battle of Corellia occurred in 3641 BBY (12 ATC). A decade later, if taken literally, would place the year at 3631 BBY (22 ATC). According to the TOR Community timeline only three events occurred in 3631, the Raid on Darvannis, the GEMINI trap, and the Battle of Odessen. These events are Fallen Empire chapters XIV, XV, & XVI respectively. The TOR Community timeline places all of Eternal Throne and the events of the Traitor arc in 3630 BBY (23 ATC). I think that's wrong. I don't think that we should take Savik's "decade" as a literal ten years, at least not from the Battle of Corellia, but it wouldn't make sense for Savik to say a decade if they meant 12 years (which would make the year 3629 BBY (24 ATC)). Savik states that Corellia would have been their tomb if their droids had not found them, so they were clearly quite injured. I think it's reasonable to assume that the decade began after Savik's convalescence. I think the Raid on Darvannis, GEMINI trap, and Battle of Odessen occurred in 3632 BBY (21 ATC) along with the rest of Fallen Empire, and that Eternal Throne and the Traitor arc all occur in 3631 BBY (22 ATC), which places the current year at 3630 BBY (23 ATC) 11 years after the Battle of Corellia and roughly a decade after Darth Savik recovered from their injuries.

Something else that stuck out. Kira states that the transport that they placed Satele on was set to travel a course in the outer rim that put it weeks away from civilization. Kira also says that it will take a while for the transport to come into range. So I clearly underestimated the amount of time that has passed between the Meridian Complex Battle and the Task at Hand where Kira and Scourge say the transport is late. Interestingly, Wookieepedia places the Meridian Complex Battle in 3630 BBY (23 ATC).

Of course, this is all still just speculation, an official timeline would be greatly appreciated, and would settle any ambiguity in the timeline.
The speculation makes sense and the deduction is sound. But there are the companion conversations which place the Battle of Zakuul (aka chapter 9 of KotET) in 23 ATC. Since Kira and Scourge stated that they destroyed Tenebrae's body concurrently with the destruction of Valkorion's spirit. So, that happened in 23 ATC as well. Kira then states they fell into a coma for more than a year, which would place her return in the finale of Onslaught to occur in 24 ATC.

As to Wookieepedia, the site itself adds to the confusion. As for example, it has an entire page on 24 ATC and places all the events of Onslaught in that year. This is the Wookieepedia page on 24 ATC.

So as to what Savik says, my feeling tells me we have to take her "decade" with a plus minus range of 2 to 3 years. After all, we have to take what she says with a grain of salt, as it's highly subjective. Nonetheless, you did make a very good point and you made a great deduction. It's a pity though that it's only speculation, as it would have made a great official explanation!

Which again returns me to the point I made in the OP: there is a lot of speculation and confusion going on regarding the timeline, even on Wookieepedia xD it would be incredibly nice if the story team or Mr. Boyd came forward to inform us what the actual year is and how the timeline looks like
Darth Malgus [EU]

ceryxp
05.30.2020 , 05:17 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
The speculation makes sense and the deduction is sound. But there are the companion conversations which place the Battle of Zakuul (aka chapter 9 of KotET) in 23 ATC. Since Kira and Scourge stated that they destroyed Tenebrae's body concurrently with the destruction of Valkorion's spirit. So, that happened in 23 ATC as well. Kira then states they fell into a coma for more than a year, which would place her return in the finale of Onslaught to occur in 24 ATC.

As to Wookieepedia, the site itself adds to the confusion. As for example, it has an entire page on 24 ATC and places all the events of Onslaught in that year. This is the Wookieepedia page on 24 ATC.

So as to what Savik says, my feeling tells me we have to take her "decade" with a plus minus range of 2 to 3 years. After all, we have to take what she says with a grain of salt, as it's highly subjective. Nonetheless, you did make a very good point and you made a great deduction. It's a pity though that it's only speculation, as it would have made a great official explanation!

Which again returns me to the point I made in the OP: there is a lot of speculation and confusion going on regarding the timeline, even on Wookieepedia xD it would be incredibly nice if the story team or Mr. Boyd came forward to inform us what the actual year is and how the timeline looks like
Sigh... Yeah, that line from Kira really mucks up things. More than a year is an indeterminate amount of time, which really tosses any speculation of the timeline out the window, with the baby, the bathwater, and the whole wash basin.

Okay, so Kira and Scourge do their thing with Tenebrae's body at the same time we're doing our thing with Tenebrae's spirit. Then they spend "more than a year" in a coma before Satele finds them. Then they show up on Odessan after Hearts and Minds, which is after Ossus. That means that all of Iokath, Umbara, Copero, Nathema, Ossus, Dantooine, and Hearts and Minds takes between an entire year to a year and 367 days. If it had been 368 days then that would have been two years and I'd hope Kira would have said two years in that case, but probably not. Even if we assume standard rounding, thus 1-1.49 years is "more than a year," and 1.5-2 years is "almost two years," that still leaves a whole lot of wiggle room and could still (quite likely) put us in 3628 BBY (25 ATC). Remember, that "more than a year" can't include anything from Onslaught because they showed up on Odessan before Onslaught.

At this point the timeline is as tangled as the Giant Spaghetti Monster.

Goreshaga
05.30.2020 , 05:47 PM | #79
There's one more thing to take into account while calculating the particular timeline with Kira and Scourge : we see Satele at the end of "The Nathema Conspiracy" (if leaving Theron to die), which would place her finding Kira and Scourge after Nathema.

If we go by rl time, there's a whole year between the end of KOTET and Copero + 6 month between Copero and Nathema, which would place Satele finding K&S roughly a year and a half after Tenebrae's death. They would then have spend more than 1 year but less than 2 in their coma.
We know they spend more than 1 year in coma, but not how much time passed between them being found by Satele and them popping up on Odessen during the short "Mysterious observers" story bit.
For all we know another year could've passed between these 2 events without changing what Kira said.

So, i still think that rl time seems pretty plausible as also being the ig time.
But i'd still also like to have an official word about that, as we still are all speculating
In need of more Arcann, Aric, Torian, Vector, and a lot, lot, lot more Theron.
There's nothing like geting too much Theron

My characters

Ylliarus
06.01.2020 , 09:11 AM | #80
Sigh... Yeah, that line from Kira really mucks up things. More than a year is an indeterminate amount of time, which really tosses any speculation of the timeline out the window, with the baby, the bathwater, and the whole wash basin.
I think it also sort of rips out the bathroom itself and throws it right after the baby xD

Okay, so Kira and Scourge do their thing with Tenebrae's body at the same time we're doing our thing with Tenebrae's spirit. Then they spend "more than a year" in a coma before Satele finds them. Then they show up on Odessan after Hearts and Minds, which is after Ossus. That means that all of Iokath, Umbara, Copero, Nathema, Ossus, Dantooine, and Hearts and Minds takes between an entire year to a year and 367 days. If it had been 368 days then that would have been two years and I'd hope Kira would have said two years in that case, but probably not. Even if we assume standard rounding, thus 1-1.49 years is "more than a year," and 1.5-2 years is "almost two years," that still leaves a whole lot of wiggle room and could still (quite likely) put us in 3628 BBY (25 ATC). Remember, that "more than a year" can't include anything from Onslaught because they showed up on Odessan before Onslaught.
I think your supposition is quite sound. I'd only add that, if Kira meant between 1.35-1.49 years she'd have said "nearly a year and a half", or so I think. It's of course speculation, but because she said "more than a year", I'd place it between 1-1.34 years.

At this point the timeline is as tangled as the Giant Spaghetti Monster.
Which is exactly why a post from Charles Boyd or someone else from the story team would really help! However, I have no idea what to do to bring this thread to their attention. I tried to get Charles Boyd's attention over Twitter the entire last week, but sadly no luck there

Quote: Originally Posted by Goreshaga View Post
There's one more thing to take into account while calculating the particular timeline with Kira and Scourge : we see Satele at the end of "The Nathema Conspiracy" (if leaving Theron to die), which would place her finding Kira and Scourge after Nathema.

If we go by rl time, there's a whole year between the end of KOTET and Copero + 6 month between Copero and Nathema, which would place Satele finding K&S roughly a year and a half after Tenebrae's death. They would then have spend more than 1 year but less than 2 in their coma.
We know they spend more than 1 year in coma, but not how much time passed between them being found by Satele and them popping up on Odessen during the short "Mysterious observers" story bit.
For all we know another year could've passed between these 2 events without changing what Kira said.

So, i still think that rl time seems pretty plausible as also being the ig time.
But i'd still also like to have an official word about that, as we still are all speculating
I understand where you are going, yet there is one important flaw in what you say:

Kira and Scourge tell us that they destroy Vitiate's original body at the same time as we destroy his spirit in chapter 9 of KotET. We can assume that the plague his original body released threw them into a coma fairly soon thereafter, at most there was a few days before they succumbed to it. So the "more than a year" they spent in that coma happens directly after the events of KotET, not after a year or so as you stated in your speculation.

Still, as you say, it's all based on speculation. So, an answer from the story team or Charles Boyd would clear up any confusion that's left
Darth Malgus [EU]