Roadmap to 7.0 - Renown

hillerbees

I would like to have a rough timeframe towards 7.0 and notification if the renown achievements such as Limitless will need to be achieved before the new expansion drops.

Also for people gearing up or holding materials I would be good to know this far from launch whether those materials will be of any use post 7.0 or are we best to do something with them ahead of time.

Its a bit of a pity that as things draw towards 7.0 all people seem to be talking about is the inflated economy in the game and not what they are looking forward to in the coming months.

I would like to have a rough timeframe towards 7.0 and notification if the renown achievements such as Limitless will need to be achieved before the new expansion drops.

Also for people gearing up or holding materials I would be good to know this far from launch whether those materials will be of any use post 7.0 or are we best to do something with them ahead of time.

Its a bit of a pity that as things draw towards 7.0 all people seem to be talking about is the inflated economy in the game and not what they are looking forward to in the coming months.

If you want Limitless, I would get that before 7.0 drops. Once it drops we won't have our renown lvl anymore, as we'll be 5 lvls under the cap. we will need to start over (just as we did when we had command lvls and switched + increased lvl cap when it changed to renown)

If you want Limitless, I would get that before 7.0 drops. Once it drops we won't have our renown lvl anymore, as we'll be 5 lvls under the cap. we will need to start over (just as we did when we had command lvls and switched + increased lvl cap when it changed to renown)

We don't know that, based off of past history that is a safe bet. However, they have not stated one way or another. Personally I am making sure I have the renown achievement done before 7.0 but we do not really know one way or another as the devs have not said anything about it.

I would plan on being done by Dec 7th, personally.

EDIT: I think its quite likely the expansion would be pushed back a week or even two after that, but I can't see it coming before then. Prove me wrong, Bioware, prove me wrong.

Edited by phalczen

We don't know that, based off of past history that is a safe bet. However, they have not stated one way or another. Personally I am making sure I have the renown achievement done before 7.0 but we do not really know one way or another as the devs have not said anything about it.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a definate answer as they could easily just say renown carries on as it was, your progress freezes until you hit level 80 and then it continues on where you left off...or it could all be a thing of the past, or renamed as the next imaginatively titled hamster wheel of their choosing with another 999 levels to keep us distracted until 8.0 :)

I'll try and push to get it done in November but there may be other less obvious things that we should be addressing that will no longer be available and it would be good to know if this is the case. Forewarned is forearmed and alll that!

Yeah, it would be nice to have a definate answer as they could easily just say renown carries on as it was, your progress freezes until you hit level 80 and then it continues on where you left off...or it could all be a thing of the past, or renamed as the next imaginatively titled hamster wheel of their choosing with another 999 levels to keep us distracted until 8.0 :)

I'll try and push to get it done in November but there may be other less obvious things that we should be addressing that will no longer be available and it would be good to know if this is the case. Forewarned is forearmed and alll that!

If you seriously think they are going to freeze renown progress until you hit level 80, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. When have they EVER given players a "leg up" on the next expansion? We'll be lucky if there is a renown-like system at all in 7.0.

I would not miss the renown system in the slightest but it does distract from the fact that you are not levelling up in a sense and give you a progress bar to tick along.

I would rather they improve upon the legacy bar system of old and have new load of legacy rewards on the way to a good high legacy cap.

I would not miss the renown system in the slightest but it does distract from the fact that you are not levelling up in a sense and give you a progress bar to tick along.

I would rather they improve upon the legacy bar system of old and have new load of legacy rewards on the way to a good high legacy cap.

I have seen a number of players ask about the legacy getting an upgrade myself included.

There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that Renown will change/reset (or has to change/reset for that matter) with 7.0 and that it will not simply go on like nothing happened. Especially since the new expansion is only 2 months away and we got the latest dev forum post about 7.0 features with no mention of Renown. When we had the changeover from Command to Renown, they specificially informed us in advance about the change in mechanics and the Legacy achievements that would become unobtainable. Yes, they hinted at Renown to become a seasonal mechanic with rank resets back in the day, but it is pretty obvious that 2 years later they have scrapped that idea and developed it further into the completely separate Galactic Seasons mechanic we eventually received.

The only change will most likely be that you have to reach the new max level of 80 before you will be able to earn Renown again to get the iRating crates on rank up. After that, it will be business as usual.

Edited by Phazonfreak

There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that Renown will change/reset (or has to change/reset for that matter) with 7.0 and that it will not simply go on like nothing happened. Especially since the new expansion is only 2 months away and we got the latest dev forum post about 7.0 features with no mention of Renown. When we had the changeover from Command to Renown, they specificially informed us in advance about the change in mechanics and the Legacy achievements that would become unobtainable. Yes, they hinted at Renown to become a seasonal mechanic with rank resets back in the day, but it is pretty obvious that 2 years later they have scrapped that idea and developed it further into the completely separate Galactic Seasons mechanic we eventually received.

The only change will most likely be that you have to reach the new max level of 80 before you will be able to earn Renown again to get the iRating crates on rank up. After that, it will be business as usual.

It's a very minor part of gearing, but I would not expect them to just keep renown as is and push to 80 given that it has been a couple years since it came out and some players (not me) might be at or near the renown cap, which would effectively be a disadvantage (albeit a small one) for those players in gearing up at level 80.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine either way, but for now, I'd act on the assumption that there's some kind of reset to play it safe, and farm your titles now if you want them.

Renown as a system is a decent additional xp bar to keep an eye of. Likely there will never be a new expansion that'd increase level cap in any significant way. So people reach the new level cap in few hours. Ergo, leveling up is not a significant portion of gameplay for anyone who stays active for a month or more. Makes sense there is a hard lvl cap of sorts that is much harder to reach.

Renown crates were a complete failure though. Super boring when compared to command crates, which came with some real nice looking cosmetic sets too. I hope renown crates of the new expansion(assuming they are a thing..) have occasional fun cosmetics and whatnot.

Edited by Stradlin

There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that Renown will change/reset (or has to change/reset for that matter) with 7.0 and that it will not simply go on like nothing happened.

I don't know what game you are playing, but it certainly isn't SWTOR. How many times have the developers explicitly stated that they don't want people to have a "head start" on gearing when a new expansion comes along?

Now, you could argue that since all renown levels are equal in points required to get the next crate, being at renown 1 and going to 2 is no different than being at 998 and going to 999, so its not really a head start. ...

Except that most of us aren't exactly at zero renown points at any time other than when we first ding 75, and so even if your assumption is correct, at the very best any progress towards the next renown crate will be reset, to conform with the developer-stated intention of not giving anyone a head start on anything.

Admittedly, there were certainly some considerate moves on the part of the developers, namely, they took care to convert command point bonuses in legacy perks to renown, and convert command xp boosts to renown boosts. These, I think, were driven because of the actual dollar cost to purchasing these legacy perks and consumables, but its possible the conversion was driven out of the kindness of the hearts of the developers. Regardless, I think its reasonable to assume something similar will be done come 7.0, though readers of the EULA and TOS will no doubt remind all of us that legally the Devs can pretty much change anything they want at any time they want.

No doubt renown's future will be clarified Soon, with the same level of "detail" that legendary items were (go see them on PTS, if you dare.)

I don't know what game you are playing, but it certainly isn't SWTOR. How many times have the developers explicitly stated that they don't want people to have a "head start" on gearing when a new expansion comes along?

Now, you could argue that since all renown levels are equal in points required to get the next crate, being at renown 1 and going to 2 is no different than being at 998 and going to 999, so its not really a head start. ...

That is exactly what I am arguing. Even more to the fact that it does not matter what Renown rank you are, the reward tiers are not tied to your rank but solely to your iRating. That was the entire point behind the changeover from Command to Renown and that is the reason why there is no inherent need to meddle with Renown ranks except for making it more difficult/impossible to get the associated Legacy achievements. The new progression cycle in 7.0 will start from the bottom for everyone whether that character is Renown rank 1 or 100.

Now there is still the possibility that they do a Renown reset in order to give us new Legacy achievements and Titles to farm, but from a purely progression perspective it is not needed at all.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I came here with this same question. Or, I guess, more generally: What achievements will no longer be attainable when the expansion hits?

For renown, I don't see any reason for them to remove it or change it unless they are making gear progression so specific that renown is no longer relevant at all. However, it would be nice if they would tell us what to expect!

For other achievements, it seems like the gear set ones are likely candidates to become Feats of Strength or whatever it's called. Or maybe they will have a way to pick up old gear sets somewhere - stranger things have happened.

On a related note: If I'm not in a high-powered guild, but I want to blitz the renown achievements, what's the fastest way to get them?

Edited by RBWTOR