1] Intel vs Ryzen 2] Nvindia vs Ryzen

fotmak

For #1, Intel vs Ryzen, it's mostly a budgetary and personal preference decision. There was a time when Intel was the clear winner, but not any more.

Some people have reported that Ryzen CPUs are "smoother" in SWTOR - less stuttering, etc.

For #2, nVidia vs AMD (Radeon), it's also whichever performs best at the price/performance point that suits you. (That tends to lean toward nVidia atm, I think.)

Any mid range GPU can handle the (current) graphics of SWTOR.

A system based upon an AMD 5600X with an nVidia based GTX-1660 is a good start. (1080p)

Edited by JediQuaker

For this game they are much the same if playing on one monitor with 1080 resolution.

What you want is a system that runs the CPU at about 4.2+ GHz (which is most of the top 3-4 CPUs from either AMD or Intel)

Graphics is easy too. The equivalent performance of a GTX 1070 will let you run at full graphics settings on a 1080p monitor. Most new mid range graphics cards can do that these days. The chip brand doesn’t matter. Both AMD and nVidia work perfectly fine.

If you are using multiple monitors or higher resolution, then you should look at a higher performance card to suit the situation.

The next thing is min 16gb RAM and a good SSD for storage.

At the end of the day, you should buy the best system you can with-in your budget. Once you know your budget, you can design the system around that.

For this game they are much the same if playing on one monitor with 1080 resolution.

What you want is a system that runs the CPU at about 4.2+ GHz (which is most of the top 3-4 CPUs from either AMD or Intel)

Graphics is easy too. The equivalent performance of a GTX 1070 will let you run at full graphics settings on a 1080p monitor. Most new mid range graphics cards can do that these days. The chip brand doesn’t matter. Both AMD and nVidia work perfectly fine.

If you are using multiple monitors or higher resolution, then you should look at a higher performance card to suit the situation.

The next thing is min 16gb RAM and a good SSD for storage.

At the end of the day, you should buy the best system you can with-in your budget. Once you know your budget, you can design the system around that.

GTX1070 is geared towards 1440p. I think that the suggestion of a GTX1660 above is the better one for 1080p also because they're still readily available :)

GTX1070 is geared towards 1440p. I think that the suggestion of a GTX1660 above is the better one for 1080p also because they're still readily available :)

Yeah, I used an older card that I know has no issues because most newer mid range cards like the GTX1660 Ti offer similar performance in games at 1080p as the GTX1070 does. And the GTX1660 Ti does well in swtor, it’s what I put in my wife’s PC when her GTX1070 died.

Sadly, any graphics cards above the GTX1660 are over priced due to coin miners and chip shortages pushing up RRP prices.

You certainly won’t be able to buy a brand new GTX1070 these days and I wouldn’t touch a second hand card with coin miners dropping them all over the internet.

I’m expecting prices to drop by Christmas when I’ll be upgrading my GTX1080 to a RX6700 XT and putting the GTX1080 in my wife’s PC.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Swtor is more cpu game or gpc?

CPU, but with one caveat, changes over the years have made graphics cards more relevant with shadows, especially if you want higher resolution or multiple monitors. A balanced approach should give you good results.

The import thing is to make sure you have a CPU that can run above 4GHz on single/dual core all the time (other cores can run slower as long as swtor is using the high speed cores). The higher the better because swtor loves CPU speed. But once you get above 4.6GHz, it’s less noticeable.

If shadows or bloom aren’t important and you have a 1080p monitor, you can sacrifice a little more on the GPU.

I know people are successfully using the GTX1050 Ti with a good CPU and shadows and bloom off.

If you want a bit more performance and can wait a few weeks, AMD have just soft launched the RX 6600 XT, which should do really well in 1080p games.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Yeah, I used an older card that I know has no issues because most newer mid range cards like the GTX1660 Ti offer similar performance in games at 1080p as the GTX1070 does. And the GTX1660 Ti does well in swtor, it’s what I put in my wife’s PC when her GTX1070 died.

Sadly, any graphics cards above the GTX1660 are over priced due to coin miners and chip shortages pushing up RRP prices.

You certainly won’t be able to buy a brand new GTX1070 these days and I wouldn’t touch a second hand card with coin miners dropping them all over the internet.

I’m expecting prices to drop by Christmas when I’ll be upgrading my GTX1080 to a RX6700 XT and putting the GTX1080 in my wife’s PC.

Yeah the only thing I have against NVIDIA is how they treat their generations. They pretty much went really fast through their 2000 generation which are pretty much unavailable and have very few of the 1000 left and are just releasing the 30000 generation but they are expensive as hell. I mean the RTX 3070 cost between 900-1100 Euro's in my country. I have a GTX 1070 Ti and I run 1440p. However, I try to stay away from the newest ones because they tend to be overpriced. But they don't even offer any RTX 2070s anymore. Not new.

So here's hoping my GTX will last long enough for the new ones to go down in price :)

Yeah the only thing I have against NVIDIA is how they treat their generations. They pretty much went really fast through their 2000 generation which are pretty much unavailable and have very few of the 1000 left and are just releasing the 30000 generation but they are expensive as hell. I mean the RTX 3070 cost between 900-1100 Euro's in my country. I have a GTX 1070 Ti and I run 1440p. However, I try to stay away from the newest ones because they tend to be overpriced. But they don't even offer any RTX 2070s anymore. Not new.

So here's hoping my GTX will last long enough for the new ones to go down in price :)

The RX 6600 XT could be an option if your GTX dies. According to AMD, there should be stock on shelves around 8th August.