I am calling it now

Noxronin

SWTOR will get engine upgrade in 2022/2023 and will release on consoles.

They keep mentioning laying out the foundation for the future with this xpac and they teased engine upgrade next year, we also get pvp revamp next year, we get some UI overhaul this year with more to come next year, we get combat styles this year, and they are pruning abilities.

This all combined screams console release because it feels like they are getting ready for new release.

I honestly hope they pull it off because more players = more money = bigger budget for new content and more frequent updates, and lets not forget to release on consoles they need 64bit client and DirectX upgrade so pc players would heavily benefit.

Edited by Noxronin

Others said the same thing about WoW years ago. While SWTOR has fewer abilities (by a wide margin) making that portion easier to port, there is a cost to doing such. Also, and this is more of a rhetorical question - will Console players "play" simply because a 10-year old MMO is suddenly available?

Others said the same thing about WoW years ago. While SWTOR has fewer abilities (by a wide margin) making that portion easier to port, there is a cost to doing such. Also, and this is more of a rhetorical question - will Console players "play" simply because a 10-year old MMO is suddenly available?

Console players love story driven games and SWTOR has tons of good story. Also when SWTOR released not even PS4 was out so it wasnt possible to do at that time.

To answer your question, yes i think it would do well on consoles, even more so compared to other MMOs on console.

As for WoW they dont have population issues and remain by far the most popular MMO so they dont need to release on consoles.

Edited by Noxronin

consoles are always a potential because it would add significant chunk of players but if it does happen then they are most likely going to merge the rest of the servers that already exist right now together and then do seperate servers for xbox and playstation. as much as people do not want that it will happen if we get a console release.

As for the new engine i am going to say it 95% chance of not happening. They have no interest in porting swtor over to a new engine or doing a new engine for it either EA or Bioware they already said pretty much that same sentiment during the annoucement trailer back in july for LotS. Just will not ever happen regardless how many people beg for it. You would have a better chance getting mawed by a bear, struck by lightning and winning the lottery in the same day than swtor getting a new engine.

They keep mentioning laying out the foundation for the future with this xpac and they teased engine upgrade next year, we also get pvp revamp next year, we get some UI overhaul this year with more to come next year, we get combat styles this year, and they are pruning abilities.

This all combined screams console release because it feels like they are getting ready for new release.

I honestly hope they pull it off because more players = more money = bigger budget for new content and more frequent updates, and lets not forget to release on consoles they need 64bit client and DirectX upgrade so pc players would heavily benefit.

If you watched the livestream when 7.0 was announced, they said they had no plans on an engine upgrade.

BioWare have already stated many times the last 3-6 months that swtor won’t get a new engine.

In saying that, I’ve already called it months ago that it’s possible swtor will get an Xbox / Steam deck port next year. Neither of which would require an engine upgrade.

Also, and this is more of a rhetorical question - will Console players "play" simply because a 10-year old MMO is suddenly available?

When you read the Facebook comments on any SWtOR post, invariably about 1/3 of the comments are about the topic, 1/3 of the comments are amazement that SWtOR is still around, and 1/3 of the comments are wishing it were on console. I am confident they will get a good influx of players when it first ports to consoles if it remains free to play. How many will stick with it and spend money on it is anyone's guess.

Keith saying we'll be on XBox next year (/sarc) : "... as you know we launched on Steam last year. We're looking forward to opportunities to expand our reach to new players..."

Porting to Xbox should not be that hard either because it’s basically a version of Windows 10. But I can’t ever see it going to Play Station as that would require a total rebuild.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

.....I honestly hope they pull it off because more players = more money = bigger budget for new content and more frequent updates, and lets not forget to release on consoles they need 64bit client and DirectX upgrade so pc players would heavily benefit.

more players = more money = bigger budget for new content and more frequent updates NO

more players = more money = bigger profits for shareholders and more same old same old for us. YES

I'd love to see it on consoles just to get any version I can play with a controller. I have always ALWAYS been terrible at KBM gaming. Not sure how they'd map it tho or if youd need to get like an Xbox KB and M. I'd switch to consoles if it was controller based and not impossible to play. Oh, and I'd NEED to be able to transfer my current progress or be on the same account, obviously. Never gonna abandon thousands of hours and lots of collected CM stuff to start all over from scratch. Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

If you watched the livestream when 7.0 was announced, they said they had no plans on an engine upgrade.

They said they have no plans for major engine upgrade. I wouldn't call 64 bit client and new API major engine upgrade but more like UE4 to UE5, or in case of Bethesda Creation Engine 1 to Creation Engine 2.

They said they have no plans for major engine upgrade. I wouldn't call 64 bit client and new API major engine upgrade but more like UE4 to UE5, or in case of Bethesda Creation Engine 1 to Creation Engine 2.

Would the current engine even allow for that without making an entirely new engine for the game? If the alpha hero engine can't support 64 bit, then it definitely would mean they'd need an entirely new engine.

Would the current engine even allow for that without making an entirely new engine for the game? If the alpha hero engine can't support 64 bit, then it definitely would mean they'd need an entirely new engine.

They used early version of Hero Engine but they also heavily modified it because it was not finished at the time so i would argue its not Hero Engine anymore.

Bethesda's Creation Engine and Creation Engine 2 are based on Gambryo Engine but it was so heavily modified they just decided to give it a new name.

They used early version of Hero Engine but they also heavily modified it because it was not finished at the time so i would argue its not Hero Engine anymore.

Bethesda's Creation Engine and Creation Engine 2 are based on Gambryo Engine but it was so heavily modified they just decided to give it a new name.

won't argue that, but my point still stands. Even if it is heavily modified, the original was so old, 64 bit wasn't as common back then as it is now. It may not even be possible for 64 bit compatibility.

remember the game launched in 2011, however the engine was chosen, and started being modified years before that.

Edited by Toraak

won't argue that, but my point still stands. Even if it is heavily modified, the original was so old, 64 bit wasn't as common back then as it is now. It may not even be possible for 64 bit compatibility.

remember the game launched in 2011, however the engine was chosen, and started being modified years before that.

Well if Everquest 1 a game from 1998 can get 64 bit upgrade next year i see no reason they cant do it as well.

Edited by Noxronin

Well... it was only about eight years old at the time, which was a couple years ago, but they did for Star Trek Online when it spread to Consoles...

Well if Everquest 1 a game from 1998 can get 64 bit upgrade next year i see no reason they cant do it as well.

Hold up, there are games from 1998 still running?!? Like, live games like this one? Or is it different. Cos that is insane insane longevity if it's a game like this. Imagine catching up on 24 years of story lol

Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Anyone actually know of an mmorpg that was big and literally upgraded to an entirely new engine?

Cause people who dont understand how game engines work seem to think that is somekind of possible task, even if some engine is compatible in some ways with the new one you cant simply copy paste the entire game, it would have so many details and problems that would need to be fixed that is close to remaking 10 YEARS OF CONTENT.

NOBODY CAN DO THAT FOR AN EXPANSION, the cost, time and resources are too much.

Convinced anyone who has not played a console MMO before or is brand spanking new to this game have to be the only ones still throwing around this galaxy brain take.

FFXIV is currently the largest MMO on the planet and it’s playable on console. So I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make?

Otherwise, what has been BioWares ultimate goal in pruning and redesigning the ability setup. What about the brand new UI system? And trying to simplify or what like to call dumb down parts of the games systems? All at the expense of more content.

If it’s not to eventually port to Xbox or steam deck, then they’ve wasted a great deal of resources that could be better spent adding playable content to keep people playing longer.

The main things that 7.0 seems to focus on are technically upgrades or rebuilding systems and simplifying them when they didn’t need changing in the first place.

If BioWare have done all of this and there isn’t a port in the future, I’ll be amazed at the total waste of funds.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

FFXIV is currently the largest MMO on the planet and it’s playable on console. So I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make?

Otherwise, what has been BioWares ultimate goal in pruning and redesigning the ability setup. What about the brand new UI system? And trying to simplify or what like to call dumb down parts of the games systems? All at the expense of more content.

If it’s not to eventually port to Xbox or steam deck, then they’ve wasted a great deal of resources that could be better spent adding playable content to keep people playing longer.

The main things that 7.0 seems to focus on are technically upgrades or rebuilding systems and simplifying them when they didn’t need changing in the first place.

If BioWare have done all of this and there isn’t a port in the future, I’ll be amazed at the total waste of funds.

Who knows, you might be correct.

Imagine using all the time and money and fix the numerous existing bugs, or make more contents... apparently it's a concept even more ineffable than quantum physics to the devs lol.