Fighting Styles

ZoreWon

Is there really a point for for longtime players. Mainly PVP messing around end game. All stories have been done.

I was excited about it but then started to think I have all the characters why would I need consolidate some of them.

Right now I have a Jug tank, Jug Vengeance and Jug Rage. The loadouts will be super cool and will let me finally put them all on one character without having to mess with abilities and specs any longer.

So super excited about loadouts but not sure what fighting styles will be good for---other than story.

Some of us dont mind replaying the story, I ve had to replay them multiple times because I couldnt remember the choices I made in an old character and I refuse to ever boost since I want my choices to be reflected on that character.

For me the combat styles are a huge thing, because now I can finally play more republic side since most republic tech classes were boring in comparison to their empire counterparts. I will be making a new powertech in trooper storyline which is going to be a completely unique class-origin combination and I am quite excited.

The later on I ll choose sniper as second combat style to have more specs I enjoy playing and I ll stay a lot longer on that character because even if i get bored from a specific playstyle, I have 5 total DPS specs to play with instead of the 2-3 we have no per character.

If your only interest is endgame I would understand why you wouldnt care, but again, not everyone is made for the pure endgame crowd. If anything the endgame crowd is quite small in swtor due to how slow updates have been.

Edited by ralphieceaser

For roleplayers (both light and heavy), Combat Styles are a big deal since it means that characters can actually carry the weapons the player envisioned them as the Origin they wanted - no more slapping a Mandalorian Hunter set on an Agent or Trooper to get a Mandalorian with an Amban-7, now a proper Bounty Hunter Origin with Vanguard Combat Style can be used instead.

For endgame types (Raiders, etc), Combat Styles, particularly the ability of Subscribers to have a second Combat Style that they can swap to outside of instances (sorry, no hot-swapping during Ops) means that they can have a single character with, for example, Powertech CS for DPS and Tank and Scoundrel CS for DPS and Heal, meaning that they can cover any role without having to log out and back into a different character. Reduced waiting time and reduced hoping someone queues up with the right role.

When you think about the effort for putting in combat styles vs the effort for making new animations, it's a pointless direction to take. They could of simply let any tech character equip any gun, and any force user to use any lightsaber. They could of put in little bonuses too, nothing game breaking, just adjustments that reflect the nature of their weapons, like a 1% accuracy to sniper rifles, or a bonus to aoe damage with the assault cannon. Heck, if they could actually balance stuff, each weapon style could come with it's own ability, regardless of class.

So the premise here is, if you're a new player, does the new combat style system help you? If you don't have alts, does a system that bypasses alt creation do good for the community?

No.

A major issue with SWTOR is how quickly someone can level a character. It's great when you're making your 30th alt, but it's not great for new players, who reach max level way too quickly and then barely know how to play. The companion system, and the ease of solo content compound this issue, but the real root of new players being almost clueless about SWTOR, even at max level, is that it took almost no time and effort to earn their levels and abilities.

So what's the result? After 7.0, new players who would of had X amount of playtime on their class are going to have instead X-Y=Z amount of playtime on their class, where X is their total time played, Y is the time played of the class they aren't currently, and Z actually indicates how much expertise they're bringing into your group, guild, or warzone for their current class.

You can expect even worse new players in 7.0, which by itself is not the end of the world, but it will bring extra issues, which will lead to extra toxicity, extra confusion, and an even more unfun community experience for new players.

...and before some idiot tries to bring up FF14, and how their job system doesn't attract toxicity, every player starting in FF14 has to slog through ARR story content, which gates literally everything, and when doing so, getting new abilities is agonizingly slow for the first 40+ hours, until you get more abilities some of which are off their 2.5 second global cooldown. Not the best way to do things, and they've got their boost too, but in terms of new players learning their class it's better than SWTOR.

TLDR:: The new combat style system doesn't actually do anything for veteran players, and gives only the illusion of helping new players, which will only lead to an increase in negative community interactions.

So super excited about loadouts but not sure what fighting styles will be good for---other than story.

They are a big deal for all the roleplayers out there, who can finally play a true dark jedi and not a capped version that acts like a sith but cannot shot lightning. Apart from that, the most promising thing about Combat Styles is the underlying mechnical change to the class system that comes with them, as it will enable the devs to add completely new Combat Styles much easier than new classes/advanced classes.

Edited by Phazonfreak

" TLDR:: The new combat style system doesn't actually do anything for veteran players, and gives only the illusion of helping new players, which will only lead to an increase in negative community interactions."

Thanks everyone was just wondering if maybe I had missed something. I think what we have wanted all along is the ability to use different weapons and fighting styles with our class. I know that would require too much money and we get what we get.

I was just simply trying to understand if it had a benefit that I was missing.

Level 80- are there any new spells or abilities?

Edited by ZoreWon

" TLDR:: The new combat style system doesn't actually do anything for veteran players

Dont confuse veteran players for people who only do endgame after they get through the story once.

i ve done all the stories and I am still planning to start fresh and many others as well due to the unique class-origin story combination that are about to be available.

Dont confuse veteran players for people who only do endgame after they get through the story once.

i ve done all the stories and I am still planning to start fresh and many others as well due to the unique class-origin story combination that are about to be available.

Don't confuse playing an old character class in old story content as new content, or new anything, or an accomplishment.

For 10 years people have been asking Bioware for their bounty hunters (real ones, like PT and Merc) to be able to use a blaster rifle/carbine, (just like guys in the movies and TV show, WOW!) and guess what, they still can't.

Don't confuse playing an old character class in old story content as new content, or new anything, or an accomplishment.

For 10 years people have been asking Bioware for their bounty hunters (real ones, like PT and Merc) to be able to use a blaster rifle/carbine, (just like guys in the movies and TV show, WOW!) and guess what, they still can't.

I suppose next it might be 'Oh, well, that Light Side Inquisitor isn't a REAL Inquisitor because they use the Sage Combat Style instead of the Sorcerer Combat Style' if we followed that kind of logic onward.

So who says that a BH Vanguard or BH Operative is any less 'real' a Bounty Hunter than a Powertech or Merc? If the Combat Style is playing the Bounty Hunter Origin, that, to me, makes it a real Bounty Hunter. Just like a Powertech Combat Style playing the Agent Origin would be a real Agent or a Merc Combat Style playing the Trooper Origin would be a real Trooper.

I suppose next it might be 'Oh, well, that Light Side Inquisitor isn't a REAL Inquisitor because they use the Sage Combat Style instead of the Sorcerer Combat Style' if we followed that kind of logic onward.

So who says that a BH Vanguard or BH Operative is any less 'real' a Bounty Hunter than a Powertech or Merc? If the Combat Style is playing the Bounty Hunter Origin, that, to me, makes it a real Bounty Hunter. Just like a Powertech Combat Style playing the Agent Origin would be a real Agent or a Merc Combat Style playing the Trooper Origin would be a real Trooper.

The way you added nothing but semantics and utterly subjective opinions to this thread perfectly mirrors the way in which the new "combat styles" system actually adds nothing to SWTOR.

Bravo.

The way you added nothing but semantics and utterly subjective opinions to this thread perfectly mirrors the way in which the new "combat styles" system actually adds nothing to SWTOR.

Bravo.

I for one don't give three ***** if it is "new content" (in your sole opinion I should note)

It is content that I want to play. I suspect i will enjoy playing it very much with the new CS system

That you have the arrogance to claim that your subjective opinions are somehow superior to someone else's is shameful. Stop.

Bravo.

It is a great addition for many of us and we are excited for it, it adds a lot to swtor for us.

Bravo.

It will be way easier to form a group. I can only q as dps with my sniper toon now, but after 7.0 I can switch to operative heal if that's the last role we need but can't find, which happens a lot when you only do pug groups during off peak hours.

Story-wise, I'm happy with my story/combat style but it's great to see people happy about finally able to play both the story and the combat style they like at the same time.

It's the one thing that I'm 100% ok with regarding 7.0 changes.

Mix a rock-tossing sage who can heal with a sith assassin who can tank, dps, and stealth, and you have it all (just not all at once).

You won't be able to do this. You have to choose from either the light side fighting styles or the dark side fighting styles for force users. You can't have one light and one dark from what I understand.

You won't be able to do this. You have to choose from either the light side fighting styles or the dark side fighting styles for force users. You can't have one light and one dark from what I understand.

I think I saw someone over on the PTS create an Assassin/Sentinel, which would mix Dark and Light. Of course, that's PTS, so no telling if it would carry over to live...

Question can I b a healer with a double bladed saber with these fighting styles ? How does this work on existing toons ?

1. Unfortunately not. That's one drawback. Weapons are still tied to Combat Styles, which (like the Advanced Classes they came from) are divided into disciplines. Double-bladed Sabers/Saberstaffs are the weapon for the Assassin and Shadow Combat Styles, neither of which have a Healing discipline (DPS and Tank, yes, but not healing).

2. And there's another drawback. Excluding Force Origins (which, if you have Light V or Dark V will have the option to switch their primary Combat Style to it's other alignment mirror - i.e., Sorceror to Sage or vice versa), it's looking like existing characters primary Combat Styles will already be set to the one that evolved from their old Advanced Class. However, players will still be able to select their characters' secondary Combat Style.

I think he means like jobs in FF14.

If you are a guardian now, you will also be able to select one more "Class or Job" That you can switch to.

You could have a jug and guardian on one character or a jug and sorc one one character.. etc etc. Just like jobs in ff14 but you only get a max of two, not every class on one toon.

o interesting ive never played that game so i could be a sorc with duel lightsabers then ? and assassin or my dps spec ?

No it works the same way as the specs of your advanced class, you activate a spec and that becomes your active spec, you lose all the other skills of the previous spec

If your first combat style is sorcer, you can be a second combat style such as assassin or marauder, when you activate it you stop being a sorcerer and you become an assassin or marauder for example.

Though in the story you remain an inquisitor

Well they said they would let us choose any fighting styles that would be db that we can't use said saber because of said class meanwhile tech classes get to use everything tech wise .

So are you saying my bounty hunter can't use a sniper n heal ?

Edited by LordKitana