Catalyst - get infected by a Rakghoul....

Randomvg

Anyone else having problems getting infected by Rakghouls on Taris? Tried for over an hour to get infected with the Rakghoul virus. I see the "blue" flash that would make me think I got infected... but.... don't get infected.

Tried even just standing there letting them beat on me until I am almost dead and then killing them. See the flashes... but still no infection.

Haven't noticed a forum for bugs/etc.... so just posting here to see if anyone else has seen or had this problem.

Edited by Randomvg

Well... I found the search function for the forums.... at the top so wasn't seeing it... used to seeing it at the bottom... anyways....

Found that this has happened before and that resetting the quest seems to fix it... not abandoning it... but resetting it.

Will have to try that tomorrow when I play again.

You do not need the big red ones even if they seem to be easier to catch it from.

Last time I did this quest (last week) I got it from the very first normal rakghoul I attacked.

If it bugs out though I assume no rakghoul is good enough.

However, if the quest works as intended any rakghoul will do.

Oh well, maybe they changed the mission then. I just did it back to back this week on two new alts and a pack of wee ones with no mommy ghoul infected me fine.

Indeed, the last time I done this mission, and i've done it at least 9 times, a weak mob infected me, and I remember a lot of people having trouble early on with this mission, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did change it.

If you log off after picking up the mission, it seems to bug out more often when you log back in and try to do it. So either reset it from your mission screen, or abandon it and pick it up again (you can actually pick it back up).

Easiest way to do this: Set your companion to PASSIVE, and turn it back to agressive once you get infected (or when you don't seem to get infected eventhough you have a dozen stacks of infection on you, in which case you'll want to reset the mission again)

The first time I did this mission I found that it works if you go to the waystation to the south first, then try to get infected, otherwise I just couldn't get "infected" for the mission, I got the disease causing damage but not "Infected". But after finding the waystation to the south, the one with the med-bot you see after getting infected, then I got infected in seconds, a bit of a bug, but solvable.

The red Rakghouls are the ones I always get infected by, and on each and every character it took 1 group to get infected. 1st time every time (unless of course someone thinks they are doing you a favor and kills them) Oh dear lord how irritating is that. I do not see how anyone can be having problems unless they are fighting the wrong mobs.

Yesterday I started the quest, then I traveled to the fleet. When I crossed to the "green" area the quest "failed" and the timer got reseted. After that I had one "failed" message everytime I entered or exit an area.

After that, in Taris, when I wanted to continue the quest and get infected I reseted the quest but it didn't work, after several tries. So I had to abandon and take the quest again (it worked at the first try).

Oh dear lord how irritating is that. I do not see how anyone can be having problems unless they are fighting the wrong mobs.

People have problems because the mission is buggy, not because the mobs are 'wrong'! Just as the Alderaan bonus mission is buggy, you have to reset this mission sometimes in order for it to 'update'. As I said earlier, I have had to reset on all characters that have done this particular mission and while Ash may have a point up there about it happening when you log out this is definitely not the only culprit as I do it immediately I get the timer (i.e. take the mission) and it still has never worked first time for me.

• 7 years later...

Just had this same issue today. A mission reset fixed it for me. I don't know if the big guy or one of the little grey ones infected me, but I was infected on my next fight after the reset. :) I had accepted the mission, then logged out for the evening to resume it the next day. Perhaps it's the logging out after being on the mission that triggers the bug? Still an issue seven years later... :'(

Posted a link to this in the bug reports section.

Edited by sandalle
Link to bug reports

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So i was questing on my trooper and at some point, i got this quest too.

I went over to the rakghoul area, let them attack me but kill them right before i died

Tried it for quitte some time but also no infection yet.

Now i seen people saying "Don't abandon the quest, just reset it"

But how do you (and i appologize if this seems kinda noobish but) "reset" a quest?

I went over to the rakghoul area, let them attack me but kill them right before i died

But how do you (and i appologize if this seems kinda noobish but) "reset" a quest?

Open your mission log (default keybind "L"), select the mission (alternative: click the name of the mission in the on-screen mission-list), and click the "RESET" button at the bottom of the mission-information page.

I believe only a certain type of rakghoul (the large red one) has to attack you to progress the mission. You will get an on-screen message that says "you have been infected" (or something to that effect) when you are successful. Hope this helps! :)