Balance between the Rep // Imp

Xulieth

Hey all,

So I'm brand new, have a level 45 Jedi Guardian, and 15 Sith Marauder.

But I've noticed, at least on the fleet, it seems the Imperial side is a bit more active. Is the Rep side just really thinned out? Or just slightly fewer players?

Also looking for a guild on my Sith Marauder if anyone is recruiting =)

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm brand new

Welcome.

But I've noticed, at least on the fleet, it seems the Imperial side is a bit more active. Is the Rep side just really thinned out? Or just slightly fewer players?

It's broadly anecdotal but I'll hazard commonly accepted that there are more people playing imperial toons -- or more people playing their imperial toons more often -- than their republic toons.

As to why, I'm guessing people in their ordinary day-to-day lives who signal when changing lanes, stop for duck crossings, keep their lawns manicured, volunteer at their local homeless shelter, and sort their garbage for recycling are the very same people who, in a fantasy environment, can let their hair down and roam wild and free slaughtering the innocent, undermining justice, invoking all manner of chaos...

...and the reason is simple.

Even when couched in just a fantasy, complete and direct control over one's destiny is addicting. We don't have that in our regular lives. We don't cross solid white lines at the cross walk, we follow the regulations of our home owner's association... in essence... obey.

In our fantasy lives, we wrestle that control away from others and harness it for ourselves: Do I let this companion live? Do I become a saboteur? Do I undermine my master?

Despite the cut-and-dried rules and regulations of Imperial Intelligence, and a particular Darth Thanaton forever spouting the Sith tradition, it's on the imperial side of things that we suspect we'll most likely find the freedom we crave.

Be it the Jedi order (just ask Flingeld) or Republic Command (talk to General Var Suthra) the Republic side attracts those comfortable with order. Rules. Regulations. Restrictions.

We get enough of that in our daily lives. The imperial side, with the wanton self-directedness of the Sith, lets people escape that.

People may argue, but oh, you didn't mention the gunslinger. Would the gunslinger have been given an impetuous dressing-down by a self-important local law enforcement officer when first landing on Taris were the gunslinger a Sith? Probably not if the officer doesn't want to be mystically levitated off his feet and his windpipe crushed.

Unbridled freedom is attractive, even if just a fantasy.

Edited by xordevoreaux