Color Screens of Death - You May Be My Only Hope

BeastlyIrish

I'm not sure what else to call this issue, but maybe some of you already know what's happening. It can occur anytime between when I first load a character (selection makes no difference) and several hours into playing. All of a sudden the entire screen will turn some kind of beige/flesh color, or blue, or green and the only way around it has been to ctrl/alt/del, hit the task manager, and that will usually restore the screen.

I have changed my graphic settings multiple times and this happens on low, so I don't think that's the issue.

Today, it has been happening with such frequency that I cannot play the game. To say that I am beyond frustrated would be an understatement.

Let me start by saying that this has been an issue off and on for almost two years (since Nov. 2019) and I can even post my current computer specs if that helps:

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

AMD Phenom II X6 1095T

Thuban 45nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A78T-E (AM3)

Graphics

SyncMaster (1920x1200@59Hz)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA)

Storage

465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device (SATA (SSD))

465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 ATA Device (SATA )

930GB Western Digital WD My Book 1110 USB Device (USB (SATA)

465GB Western Digital WD 5000AAKB Externa USB Device (USB (ATA)

Optical Drives

ATAPI iHAS224 B ATA Device

WD Virtual CD 1110 USB Device

Audio

High Definition Audio Device

I know it's an older system, but up until today, (and all the lag spikes last night which is separate issue and thread) it has run fine. I only have 1 monitor, so I know the multiple monitor solution won't work here.

I did a complete uninstall and reinstall, and that did not resolve the issue.

I don't know what to do and I just need some help/answers/solutions so I can get back to the game I love.

- update all your drivers. Given the age of that system, that means audio, chipset, LAN, etc.

- take out your graphics card; check that the contacts and socket are clean and free of dust, pet hair, etc; reinsert the card making sure it's firmly seated in the socket.

- make sure your system is getting adequate cooling. Clean the dust out and make sure all fans are working.

- try a different graphics card. Either the same model, or some other nVidia card. Your card could have a thermal fault - a fault that shows up when the card warms up (not necessarily overheats).

- check the power supply. Try a replacement unit if possible.

- given the age of the system, you could be affected by "bad capacitors" on the motherboard, graphics card, or in the power supply. Check that the 'cans' are not bulged and/or leaking.

Edited by JediQuaker

This sounds like a hardware issue. Im in agreement of checking for proper ventilation or perhaps opening up the case and making sure everything is clear of dust or even worse.....piles of dust.

Dust is conductive and can cause damage to any component in the case if you dont keep it clean. Mix that with heat and you have a disaster brewing.

This sounds like a hardware issue. Im in agreement of checking for proper ventilation or perhaps opening up the case and making sure everything is clear of dust or even worse.....piles of dust.

Dust is conductive and can cause damage to any component in the case if you dont keep it clean. Mix that with heat and you have a disaster brewing.

Actually, the main problem with dust is that it obstructs airflow and acts as an insulating layer on parts that are designed to get *rid* of heat, not keep it in.