[TFA Spoilers] coexistence of SWTOR canon and Disney canon

mangleswore

It's all pretty simple! SWTOR is not canon! The speculation about e.g. first Jedi temple - obsolete - u will see! They already proven Disney gives a **** about anything that does not fit with them or their ideas! They eradicated some of the most beloved figures from the Star Wars universe - Jacen, Jaina, Anakin Solo and Ben Skywalker! The only thing they care is to make a buck! They give a damn!

One of the more profitable story in the EU is Revan! The chance that they gonna take it and re-write is in my opinion as close to a 100% as it can get - too many people longing for stories about Revan, too many would give their last dime if they get all new content, even a movie about him.

Everybody better say good bye to Star Wars as u knew it - they will obliterate the existing universe and create their own. Bye bye Darth Malgus, Darth Bane! Bye bye Freedon Nadd, Exar Kun, Jolee Bindo and Nomi Sunrider, ... bye bye Kotor, SWTOR, ....

Edited by Anca_Lagon

One thing I'm still not clear on is whether the Legends stories area still in continuity with eachother or with the original movies.

Right now there is two different "universes"

Universe 1 is the "official Canon" or what I like to call the Disneyverse. It contains the 6 origional Star Wars movies, the new movie, SW:TCW, Rebels, and any book published after April 2014.

Universe 2 is the "Legends" universe, which is everything that was part of the official canon until April 2014.

This game is currently the only thing in the "Legends" universe that is being continued, which really sucks. (There is a large facebook group called "Alliance to Preserve the Expanded Universe" who's primary goal is to keep interest in the EU in the hope that Disney will allow this universe to be continued)

Extra note, from my perspective Universe #2 (Legends) IS Star Wars. The Disneyverse is just an alternate series that just happens to share the stories of the first 6 movies and the name "Star Wars" on the cover. Besides that, they are as different to me as Harry Potter and LotR

I will get criticism for this:

Dispite what Disney say, I consider the EU canon and I consider Disney canon NOT CANON. too many plot holes, like why Han's garbage scow looked like a First order ship, or why in their REBELS series there are suddenly loads of sith.

and Disney keep taking stuff from the EU, they have republic ships in REBELS, the first order ships are imperial ships.

In my opinion, TFA is not canon, The EU is.

Dispite what Disney say, I consider the EU canon and I consider Disney canon NOT CANON. too many plot holes, like [...] why in their REBELS series there are suddenly loads of sith.

Huh? The Inquisitorius is something they brought over directly from Legends - they just created different members for it. Instead of the Grand Inquisitor being Malorum or Tremayne it was the Pau'an character, and instead of having Jerec, Hydra or Valin Draco as members we have the new characters with the weird cult-like names "Seventh Sister", "Fifth Brother", etc. I don't see how having Force-trained Dark Siders as Imperial Inquisitors is any more of a plot hole in the Canon than it was in Legends.

Personally, I still prefer the Legends continuity to the New Canon, although I greatly enjoyed TFA and haven't disliked any of the stuff they've put out in the Canon so far - basically I like the new Canon, I just like Legends even more.

Disneyverse didn't do a bad job with their movie, I liked it. But it's still just a fan film. We all know Canon is what "WE" dictate. The only thing about the Expanded Universe is that no one is allowed to make money off of it. We never made money off of it, so it doesnt matter. Regarding SWTOR, Robert Iger never said SWTOR wasn't canon. His employee Kathleen Kennedy also never said it wasn't canon. It's simply not important what they say, because we all know theyre holding their tongue because of licenses and lawyers. We don't make a single penny from these supposed "official" agreements, so we are under no law or obligation to hold them up. But by all means Mickey Mouse, make us more fan films, we love them. And if you want us to call them canon, then throw us some money. Other than that, long live Mara Jade!

So here's the thing. There's something gratifying and wonderful about being able to draw connects between your favorite star wars stories, which is why I think it's great that Disney has established that forevermore all star wars stories exist within the same universe and canonical continuity. But it leaves TOR victim to the other edge of the same sword that will make the future of star wars great (I hope). Swtor continues to put out content and is a huge resource for background information on star wars lore. Everyone has their own head canon to some degree.The idea of this thread is to explore your own head canon to legitimize Swtor going forward (until it is impossible to do so, or Disney absorbs this universe somehow validating it). The debate on canonical politics (Disney vs EU) is much less enjoyable than trying to draw connections between periods of time separated by thousands of years that havent been 100% proven (yet) to break continuity between each other, no?

as it is the name Ach-to may only be a "working name" for it. I mean it's basically "act 2" for crying out loud.

Oh someone sneezed when naming it, lol. I read reports saying it was also it was Rakata Prime and the views from the movie did look like Rakata Prime (IMHO) from the game.

For the most part, the Old Republic and the films are far enough away from each other that there shouldn't be any contradictions. They'd have to try in order to make a contradiction (e.g. Luke starting off Episode VIII by saying "Revan was just a myth" for no apparent reason).

Technically, the Old Republic is considered "Legends" now, just like the rest of the EU, but I've always held the "canon until it's not" attitude: until/unless LFL actually releases something that contradicts or overrides something from the old EU, it's still canon to me. If they say "but that didn't happen," I'll just say "then what DID happen?" and listen to the crickets chirping.

I agree it is certainly Canon to me too! Revan actually died in 3642 BBY that is Canon he was killed by a Imperial Strike Team but an Revanite named Rivan revived his cult and found the Star Forge again and built another group of Super Mega Dreadnaughts to terrorize both the Sith Empire and The Old Republic. This was about 1000 to 2000 years BBY. If our characters are living about 50yrs BBY then the Legend Of Revan is not a mere legend but is TOR and ROTJ Fact as well as EU Fact as supported by all the events up to now. One can assume alot of Future Revanites wanting to get quick Darkside Powers found the Star Forge and ironically apparently Bail Organa found it shortly before Alderaan blew up in ANH IV where Leia Organa gets a weird message when she is about 25 years old or so saying Bail had created "Another Chance Fleet" that she could use if she needed it that hides out around the asteroid field of Alderaan, The Another Chance Fleet is a Dead Ringer for the Star Forge Spacestation and 5 Mega Super Dreadnaughts that is Leia Organa's inheritance.....in the EU one that she has not accepted since she has the code password to activate the Star Forge and the Mega Super Dreadnaughts but of course she is a goody 2 shoes in the EU books etc.

Huh? The Inquisitorius is something they brought over directly from Legends - they just created different members for it. Instead of the Grand Inquisitor being Malorum or Tremayne it was the Pau'an character, and instead of having Jerec, Hydra or Valin Draco as members we have the new characters with the weird cult-like names "Seventh Sister", "Fifth Brother", etc. I don't see how having Force-trained Dark Siders as Imperial Inquisitors is any more of a plot hole in the Canon than it was in Legends.

Personally, I still prefer the Legends continuity to the New Canon, although I greatly enjoyed TFA and haven't disliked any of the stuff they've put out in the Canon so far - basically I like the new Canon, I just like Legends even more.

Nope, you won't not from me; you get my praise and thanks because I don't accept all the Disney Potholes in their TFA 1-7 Movie as Standalone Star Canon. if they are using alot of KOTOR storylines and filler material for their TFA1-7 then they cannot say that all the EU and SWs TOR as well as all 6 Star Wars Movies do not apply to the TFA1-7 Film. They simply cannot base their new characters Rey and Finn on thin air, I think they are going to find out that Rey is Rey Skywalker whom was a younger daughter of Mara Jade and that Finn is Finn Calrrissian. If so then Disney has merely pulled the wool over the Purist Star Wars Fans and owes fans like me alot since we have seen too much of Disney Abuse and Disuse of the whole of Star Wars.

So here's the thing. There's something gratifying and wonderful about being able to draw connects between your favorite star wars stories, which is why I think it's great that Disney has established that forevermore all star wars stories exist within the same universe and canonical continuity. But it leaves TOR victim to the other edge of the same sword that will make the future of star wars great (I hope). Swtor continues to put out content and is a huge resource for background information on star wars lore. Everyone has their own head canon to some degree.The idea of this thread is to explore your own head canon to legitimize Swtor going forward (until it is impossible to do so, or Disney absorbs this universe somehow validating it). The debate on canonical politics (Disney vs EU) is much less enjoyable than trying to draw connections between periods of time separated by thousands of years that havent been 100% proven (yet) to break continuity between each other, no?

Good Mangleswore, I like your thread. I fear that Disney will and does hate SwsThe Old Republic Game because the same Canon is being created in it that will sooner or later disrupt their FTA1 and FTA 2 movies because our alternate Character Roleplaying new and better characters than even Disney could create by a heap of Disney-Lucas Film Arts Writers. However I think has Disney gone out on a limb and said this, unfortunately they as a whole have said that the TFA 1 and TFA 2 are STANDALONE CANON and not to be challenged by Fans of the EU, Fans of Star Wars Clone Wars and the Star Wars Purist Fans and this is where the Bone Of Contention lays since which Canon is the the Pure Canon all can accept?

Right now there is two different "universes"

Universe 1 is the "official Canon" or what I like to call the Disneyverse. It contains the 6 origional Star Wars movies, the new movie, SW:TCW, Rebels, and any book published after April 2014.

Universe 2 is the "Legends" universe, which is everything that was part of the official canon until April 2014.

This game is currently the only thing in the "Legends" universe that is being continued, which really sucks. (There is a large facebook group called "Alliance to Preserve the Expanded Universe" who's primary goal is to keep interest in the EU in the hope that Disney will allow this universe to be continued)

Extra note, from my perspective Universe #2 (Legends) IS Star Wars. The Disneyverse is just an alternate series that just happens to share the stories of the first 6 movies and the name "Star Wars" on the cover. Besides that, they are as different to me as Harry Potter and LotR

MrGoldsilver no dispute from me there, your exactly right in what you think. However Disney has come out and said that DISNEYVERSE is the only Canon that Star Wars Fans should accept as a whole and I find that upsetting, we have now DisneyVerse Fans fighting against Purist Star Wars Fans telling us we are crackpots.

Disneyverse didn't do a bad job with their movie, I liked it. But it's still just a fan film. We all know Canon is what "WE" dictate. The only thing about the Expanded Universe is that no one is allowed to make money off of it. We never made money off of it, so it doesnt matter. Regarding SWTOR, Robert Iger never said SWTOR wasn't canon. His employee Kathleen Kennedy also never said it wasn't canon. It's simply not important what they say, because we all know theyre holding their tongue because of licenses and lawyers. We don't make a single penny from these supposed "official" agreements, so we are under no law or obligation to hold them up. But by all means Mickey Mouse, make us more fan films, we love them. And if you want us to call them canon, then throw us some money. Other than that, long live Mara Jade!

The problem is they both came out and said at the first beginning that EU, the 6 Star Wars Films should have nothing to do with SWs TFA 1 and 2 that they were STANDALONE CANON. HiddenPalm that was the Disney Exe PR when the TFA 1 movie started to be talked about and what fans were warned about not to confuse of the Star Wars Canon of the 6 movies and EU before you walked into the theaters on TV etc. So is everything the Disney Exes say supposed to be what we should think about TFA1 and TFA2 or do we think that it is all Canon up to now?

Disney can go to Hell along with their fake universe.

This is all that remains of Star Wars canon and I have no interest in compromising a darn thing to try and accommodate those new films.

I am sure we will eventually see elements of the fake universe bleed into ours, and I will just do whatever I can to avoid it.

Disney can go to Hell along with their fake universe.

This is all that remains of Star Wars canon and I have no interest in compromising a darn thing to try and accommodate those new films.

I am sure we will eventually see elements of the fake universe bleed into ours, and I will just do whatever I can to avoid it.

Well to be fair all of Star Wars is a fake universe...

Look canon really only matters to the content producers. Use what you like an ignore the rest. If you want to write Star Wars fan fiction and use it in your own head canon do that. I have been paying and running Star Wars in various forms for decades now and that is what I do. There were points of the EU I never accepted.

My only concern is how good the new material is. So far it's been a mixed bag but some of it is very good and I'm glad we have it.

In the end Star Wars is make believe. Have fun with it.

Cannon is irrelevant. You follow the stories from the first one to the last, regardless of what the current owners of star wars says. The fact is whatever was canonized, in the past, cannot be un-canonized in the present, simply, because the owners want to make the new movies unpredictable. They should have thought of that when they were commissioned people to write books left, right and center, for profits.

Everything that I have read about SW, so far, is a part of the SW universe, as far as I am concerned. They just lack the creativity to make new movies fit into what is already known, and still be interesting, and unpredictable, without declaring that what we knew before is not relevant. George Lucas may have started SW but its bigger than him now.