Combat Style question

Emperor_Cain

Is changing a force user's primary combat style based on alignment only a thing for pre 7.0 characters?

I have an Assassin that I created after 7.0 launched that I've played to light 5. I was going to switch them over to a Shadow, but I don't get the option, even after having completed the main story. I know on older characters created before the expansion I was given the option, so I'm thinking this may be the case, which if so is kind of disappointing.

Is changing a force user's primary combat style based on alignment only a thing for pre 7.0 characters?

I have an Assassin that I created after 7.0 launched that I've played to light 5. I was going to switch them over to a Shadow, but I don't get the option, even after having completed the main story. I know on older characters created before the expansion I was given the option, so I'm thinking this may be the case, which if so is kind of disappointing.

The option to change for pre-7 characters is there because there was no way to *be* the opposite-faction "style" (== Advanced Class in pre-7 terms) before 7 was a thing. Characters created *after* 7 can be (subject to a restriction(1)) created directly into an opposite-faction style, so I guess that BioWare felt the ability to switch to the opposite-faction style later wasn't necessary.

For full-whack RP-ish purposes, of course, that "wasn't necessary" isn't automatically true, because it doesn't allow for a character to develop over time and come to embrace the opposite style of using the Force, so, yeah, it's a bit disappointing.

(1) If you don't have the relevant "reached alignment rank V" thing unlocked, you can't do it.