The Return of Darth Jadus

Ylliarus

One of the more recent class stories I have replayed over the last few months, has been the Imperial Agent story. Yet one thing continuously bugged me about it, and that is that the story of Darth Jadus is left without a conclusion, without a clear end. Of course, I understand that the initial intent might have been to have Jadus return in future content, perhaps a potential Chapter IV in terms of class story. However, the story of SWTOR took another turn and as of yet, Darth Jadus has not yet returned.

As such, once the story with Kira and Scourge and the final, gruesome weapon of Tenebrae has come to a close, the story could (or perhaps should) focus on Darth Jadus and his machinations. As either he deserves as worthy conclusion as an antagonist within the game's story or to become an integral part of it.

For example, personally I would be very much in favour if Darth Jadus toppled either Acina or Vowrawn and became Emperor of the Sith himself. It is without a doubt that he would lead the Empire in a magnificent way, yet he is the perfect candidate to be the last Emperor of the Sith. As we know that at some point in the near future (in terms of lore), the Sith Empire will fragment. That fragmentation could happen as a result of Jadus leaving a tremendous power vacuum as a result of his death after a long, grand reign. That way, it would rhyme with the Golden Age of the Old Sith Empire, as Marka Ragnos' reign was long and prosperous, but after his death the Old Sith Empire fragmented. A similar thing could happen if Darth Jadus were to become Emperor of the Sith.

Another possibility for Jadus to become an integral part of the story, is for him to become a magnificent military mastermind type of character that threatens to destroy both the Empire and Republic. I could imagine him being like Thrawn from the Heir to the Empire trilogy, where his military genius almost led to the defeat of the New Republic. Darth Jadus could have worked with a shadow empire in a similar way, having a powerbase strong enough to seriously challenge an already weakened Republic and Empire. This way, the story could steer away from godlike entities or crazy superweapons, and simply feature a military mastermind as a threat to the galaxy. And to be honest, Darth Jadus with his "democratization of fear" and the things he did to his crew aboard the Dominator, would be quite the threat. Especially since he sought to remake the galaxy in his image...

So yes, what do people think? Should Darth Jadus return and become the next Emperor of the Sith? Or should Darth Jadus return to become the new primary antagonist of SWTOR, like Vitiate was up until the ending of KotET? Or, do people think that Jadus shouldn't return at all?

Addendum

I wanted to add this bit in with the OP, as in the quote I explain why Darth Jadus embodies the ideals of the Sith better than any other Sith, even Darth Mare. It is why I believe Darth Jadus would deserve to be the Emperor of the Sith:

And yet Jadus does. Listen to the Sith Code, especially the last line:

"Through victory, my chains are broken,

The Force shall set me free."

Freedom and the breaking of chains is what the Sith pursue. They want to break all the chains that hold them back from becoming the perfect being, the Sith'ari. This is what every Sith craves and is supposed to crave according to the Sith code. To the Sith, compassion is a chain, peace is a chain, morality is a chain. The Sith seek to break all these chains in order to reach perfection.

Darth Jadus had come further than any Sith excluding Vitiate. Why? Because Jadus had reached the point where he had broken the chains of morality. He is no longer burdened by a conscience or a sense of morality, he has transcended those concepts and put his own plans and ambitions, the achievement of his own perfection, above all else. In this way, he has broken the chains as the Sith Code instructs and as such, embodies the ideals of the Sith better than anyone else before him. In that sense, he truly is second to Vitiate, as Vitiate had broken his chains in a similar fashion but actually achieved a certain sense of perfection, in that he almost became the perfect Sith, the Sith'ari.

Darth Marr for example doesn't break his chains the same way that Jadus does. Marr still is held back by a sense of duty. Because to a Sith, even a sense of duty is a chain, as it doesn't fulfill the perfection of the ego. Because that is what the Sith Code instructs its followers to do, to achieve the perfection of the self at the cost of all else. And everything that doesn't serve the perfection of the self, the ego, is a chain that is holding one back. Marr fails to break the chains of duty, while Jadus instead does break them and is willing to betray the Empire to achieve the perfection of his self.

And that is why Darth Jadus embodies the ideals of the Sith and their Code. He has broken his chains in an effort to become the perfect Sith, by transcending morality and a sense of conscience. That is why he may be perceived as a maniac, because he doesn't care who suffers or who gets destroyed in his path towards being set free by the Force. And that is what the Sith Code teaches, to reach the perfection of the self at the cost of everything else.

Edited by Ylliarus

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really like to see him return to be the main antagonist for a long time. Either by being everyone's antagonist or the new ruler of the Empire and the main antagonist for the Republic

He's a great character who was supposed to be second in term of power only to Vitiate, and is very intelligent. And he has an amazing voice too.

He has everything to be a perfect ennemy.

I'd really like to see him return to be the main antagonist for a long time. Either by being everyone's antagonist or the new ruler of the Empire and the main antagonist for the Republic

He's a great character who was supposed to be second in term of power only to Vitiate, and is very intelligent. And he has an amazing voice too.

I agree with everything you say! I love and adore Vowrawn as the Sith Emperor, but I do admit that Jadus would do an excellent job as the ruler of the Empire as well. Especially since he was portrayed as only second to Vitiate in terms of power. He would definitely be able to unite the Empire under his rule and keep the Sith in his grasp.

But as simply an enemy to everyone, the new primary antagonist of SWTOR, I'd love to see him in that role if he won't become Emperor of the Sith.

I'd like to see him again but I will not support Darth Jadus is he becomes the Emperor of the Sith.

I'd prefer to keep Vowrawn on the Imperial throne as well, albeit I wouldn't be mad if Jadus took on that role :) heck, most of my Impside characters would even support him!

Edited by Ylliarus

Jadus lead the Empire? He would wreck it. Have you forgotten what he wanted to do with the Empire and its citzens?

Indeed, which is why I always found the dark side option during the big confrontation to be not convincing at all in the way it plays out.

You join him and become his right hand and all the talk about keeping the Empire on edge and spreading constant fear across the galaxy is suddenly never tasked of you or even mentioned and it's empire business as usual. And you can give up Watcher 2 and betray her, but she still becomes the new Keeper and after one line of dialogue suddenly all is forgiven and forgotten. Meh.

That is why for me the light side option is always the "real" option. And the consequences for both options would exclude Jadus as a credible Emperor or even Darth on the council. I do like him a lot as an antagonist for both the Republic and the Empire though and it's obvious that the writers behind the game thought so too, which is why they never added any outcome where he dies in order to make him a potential returning threat. Not that being dead means anything in Star Wars... :p

Edited by Phazonfreak

Not me. I want dead people to stay dead. Constantly resurrecting old antagonists and protagonists, rather than developing a character arc and back story for new characters, smacks of lazy writing. If you're going to dig up corpses to haul around for new story content, might as well dust off Tulak Hord and have him run around as well. Character arcs come to an end, and these need to, as well, so we have room for fresh, new, powerful, fully-developed characters whose character arcs can drive their own unique plotlines.

Not me. I want dead people to stay dead. Constantly resurrecting old antagonists and protagonists, rather than developing a character arc and back story for new characters, smacks of lazy writing. If you're going to dig up corpses to haul around for new story content, might as well dust off Tulak Hord and have him run around as well. Character arcs come to an end, and these need to, as well, so we have room for fresh, new, powerful, fully-developed characters whose character arcs can drive their own unique plotlines.

Jadus died? I thought he just ran off to Wild Space.

Also, I agree that the "Empire that's now against both the Republic Empire" is pretty tried and old. We saw it with Ikoral in Red Reaper, Malgus, the Dread Masters, Vitiate, Revan...

Edited by jedimasterjac

I think I speak for most of us when I say Jadus has been away too long. However, the Empire has fallen far from when he was on the Dark Council, so I doubt Jadus has any interest in ruling the Empire now. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to wipe the slate clean and destroy the Empire, Republic, and the Alliance. If you side with on the Dominator later on he tells us he learned Tenebrae's plans and then Jadus leaves the galaxy. Who knows what kind of things he has accomplished and followers he has secured in the amount of time he's been gone? I don't want to be his enemy, especially since my agent joined him, but I have a feeling we won't have a choice in the matter. Tenebrae even called him the "greatest Sith my Empire ever produced." So him being the next big antagonist does seem very likely.

I hope agents get some unique moments when Jadus does return, especially considering how many different ways the confrontation aboard the Dominator can go, but that's probably too much to hope for isn't it?

I'm actually kind of hoping Malgus and Jadus will team up. Malgus will definitely want revenge on the Empire and Jadus will most likely see Malgus as a useful tool to accomplish whatever Jadus's goals are.

One final note: before Jadus leaves he says, "I see the shape of the galaxy as only five others can. To intervene directly would be costly and pointless, but I do not abandon the game." WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

Jadus never died. That option is not on the table in the Imperial Agent story, as he survives the encounter no matter what option you take during that part. So, it's not digging up old corpses, it's giving an unfinished storyline a new go.

Just no more big bad guys that are against both factions.

I can see him as emperor or something, but lets keep the story aimed as the Sith Vs Republic

Oh, yeah sure! I fully agree with you there. The story should be as Republic vs. Empire centric. Which is why I'd love to have Jadus as the next Emperor of the Sith.

I think I speak for most of us when I say Jadus has been away too long.

Yes, absolutely! Jadus has been kept away from the story for far too long and deserves to be returned. In what form, that is for the devs to decide. But I do think Jadus deserves to have a significant role in the game's story.

One final note: before Jadus leaves he says, "I see the shape of the galaxy as only five others can. To intervene directly would be costly and pointless, but I do not abandon the game." WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

Which is why Jadus should return, either as Emperor of the Sith or the new antagonist of the game's story! :) then we can learn what he meant and who these five others are.

Edited by Ylliarus

Jadus was never explicitly killed in any of his outcomes. The only three outcomes he can face is being imprisoned, escaping, and voluntarily going into seclusion.

I definitely agree he should come back. I do think he could become Emperor, but I think it would be better for him stay in the shadows, at least for a while. That allows them to use him without considering the the different possible worldstates from various player choices. He has a tendency to try to wield influence from hiding, so it would definitely be in character for him.

I kind of hope they keep him around for a while if they do bring him back, so I don't think it would be a good idea to make him the main antagonist of the game. Especially since, there are Agents that sided with him.

Except during Onslaught (on Imp side) they mention Jadus as a confirmed death. Correct me if i'm wrong

I have played through Impside Ossus not too long ago as an Imperial Agent and I heard nothing about Jadus being dead. The only mention of Jadus is him being a suspect for the traitor back during Iokath. But after that there is no mention of him and without a doubt, he is not dead. Unless I missed a reference somewhere, but since I was playing an Imp Agent I would have recalled if Jadus was mentioned during Ossus.

This is also what Wookieepedia says about Darth Jadus and his state of being alive or dead:

"Years later, he was listed as a potential suspect in orchestrating the War on Iokath by Lana Beniko, confirming Jadus was still considered alive and pulling hidden strings." - Wookieepedia page on Darth Jadus

I definitely agree he should come back. I do think he could become Emperor, but I think it would be better for him stay in the shadows, at least for a while. That allows them to use him without considering the the different possible worldstates from various player choices. He has a tendency to try to wield influence from hiding, so it would definitely be in character for him.

That would definitely be an interesting trope, yeah. I could see him acting from the shadows and influencing things in the galaxy to shape it in his image. I definitely wouldn't mind to see him worked into the story like that.

Edited by Ylliarus

I'd only support Jadus returning if we get to kill him in the most anti-climactic way possible, and not have to wait long for it.

Honestly, I don't get why Jadus is so popular. He is nuts, the complete embodiment of what is wrong with the Empire, ruled by psychopathic urges rather than sensible motives.

Just put the mad dog down already.

Except during Onslaught (on Imp side) they mention Jadus as a confirmed death. Correct me if i'm wrong

On Onderon before Imperial players go meet with Akoru, Darth Savik tells you about Lord Brutann, Akoru's brother. Brutann is killed by Republic players on Hoth and at the time Brutann served Darth Jadus. That is what you misunderstood.

Edited by boosterexo

Honestly, I don't get why Jadus is so popular. He is nuts, the complete embodiment of what is wrong with the Empire, ruled by psychopathic urges rather than sensible motives. .

Absolutely, he wanted to bring fear and hatred to every single citizen and member of the Empire.