How does companion influence work during Planetary missions?

Annahiel

Do all companions potentially gain influence points during all story missions?

What if I only did class stories missions to collect all my companions and went back to earlier planets to complete their Planetary Arc missions? Would a Risha, Scourge, Nadia or a Yuun still gain influence points during Tatooine or Taris Planetary Arc missions?

I suspect companions don't gain any influence points on planets/arcs before they're supposed to be recruited. Would this be accurate? If true, Sgt. Fideltin Rusk, Nadia Grell, Yuun and Guss Tuno can only gain quest influence points on Belsavis, Voss, Corellia and Ilum.

Edited by Annahiel

I suspect companions don't gain any influence points on planets/arcs before they're supposed to be recruited. Would this be accurate?

It is, indeed, accurate. There are some oddities, if you recruit a companion part-way round a planet, about what happens in the rest of that planet, but they definitely don't gain Influence for conversation choices on planets earlier in the story than their recruitment planet. They also don't offer "scenery" comments(1) on those planets.

(1) E.g. Elara Dorne's anti-Imperial commentary on Balmorra. Yuun, recruited on Hoth, has nothing to say about those places.

yes, they only gain influence by possible conversations on planets where they were recruited. Which is a shame, because Talos, from the imperial reclamation service, should have been recruited before Tatooine because in-character he should have a great deal to say about the story-line on that planet.

I know playing the game in the early years there used to be a web-site that gave all the dialogue and possible alignment and influence (it used to be called affection) points, but that web-site doesn't exist any more. It was a good way to choose beforehand which companion to use for which quests. (though also 10th level was the affection cap instead of 50)