Pros/Cons of Vanguard vs. Commando for mostly solo ARC Trooper Sharpshooter

SidNitzerglobin

Super happy to be able to make a more legit ARC Trooper inspired character in 7 & have been loving this toon through level 32 single specced in sharpshooter but I'm at the point I'd really like to add a second style & for some reason just can't seem to pull the trigger on either Vanguard or Commando.

This guy will likely continue to be at least 90% solo PVE w/ occasional forays into vet mode flashpoints/ops & I'm not super concerned about him needing to pull his weight in MM ops or PVP, prioritizing more on cool looking animations & fun to play, some what flexible rotations than maximal DPS.

I've got a lot more details of my own pro/con list below, but TL : DR: Anyone care to share their thoughts &/or experiences w/ these specs & their rotations & animations?

I came in feeling Commando would be the easy choice as I've never played one before & have had a few very cool looking assault cannons on hand, w/ a few that have been collecting dust in the legacy vault for quite some time (have an E-1 Enforcer, GT-23, & actually the season reward Blackout would also be in the running as well as a couple others). My initial thought was it would be good to add the utility & variety of a heal spec w/ a simple rotation to the toon, as I'm trying to improve my healing as a player but have found my Op fairly confounding in medicine spec. Additionally I've been more or less maining my Arsenal merc post 7.0 & still find her to be a whole lot of fun if a bit more challenging/slow to clear content than other classes that fared better in the 7.0 changes, so I'd have a slightly more mobile DPS spec that I'm assuming I'd already be pretty familiar w/ in a Gunnery loadout.

I was initially not really considering Vanguard as I already have a Vanguard tank & was kind of bored w/ her most of the way through level 68 I think mostly based on the animations just not doing a lot for me. What got me taking a second look was how much fun I've been having playing my AP powertech & the realization that Tactics should stand right in that spot mechanically if I'm not mistaken w/ a kinda nice hybrid melee & short ranged mix of options. Are the animations pretty much all stock strikes for melee & generic rifle shots for ranged? I've already got a couple options I like for him for rifles too (likely either the E-1 Enforcer or grabbing a Valiance from the Exchange market) .

Again any thoughts/opinions are welcome, thanks!

Edited by SidNitzerglobin
Brevity, maybe?

• 3 months later...

I too would like to play commando because yay cannon but the problem with Commando is the DPS is crap. Not "less than optimal" but crap. If you do your rotation perfect you'll be lucky to match other classes mouse clicking.

With their feet.

Don't expect a buff either, the incoming buff is like a 2% increase. ¯\_:hope_03:_/¯