What goes with Slicing?

Monkeypuzzle

Have a few toons already, I decided to roll another and try slicing. It suggested I use scavenging and cybertech which I did. But of course, cybertech requires underworld materials which I can't get because my last slot is slicing.

So what is best to go with it?

Is it so you make so much money with slicing you can buy the UW materials outright on the market?

Or am I missing something here.

Have a few toons already, I decided to roll another and try slicing. It suggested I use scavenging and cybertech which I did. But of course, cybertech requires underworld materials which I can't get because my last slot is slicing.

So what is best to go with it?

Is it so you make so much money with slicing you can buy the UW materials outright on the market?

Or am I missing something here.

Slicing doesnt really 'go' with anything. It is listed as possbily going with cybertech due to the odd chance you get a schmatic, which would be for a cybertech. Slicing really is a thing of its own. Augments it gets can go into pretty much any other classes critted gear. The mission discovers you find can go for any other crafting skill.

Most take slicing though while they level up to 50, then drop it for a different skill.

well, near as I can tell, underworld trading is only required for the blue and better cybertech schematics, most important at high levels.

that being said, slicing doesn't really pair up directly with anything, though cybertech is the closest since you can get cybertech plans with it. but as you said, the advantage of slicing really is mostly in the money that you get with it, that you can use to buy other things. imo, that money is a tad low at the moment, but it used to be ridiculously high.

and of course, slicing can also get you augments for exceptional crafted items and for selling to other people.

Everything. The missions and purple augments you get at max level slicing missions SELL. For ALOT. Not to mention, it costs like nothing to run because the boxes typically give you your money back. Slicing makes a ton of money, and if you use the missions it gives you you get so much mats..

They need to make a phone app so I can slice at work...

The reason slicing missions were nerfed was exactly because people were running them from work.

They were using a program/app that allows you to operate your PC through a phone.

Edited by Rykko

The reason slicing missions were nerfed was exactly because people were running them from work.

They were using a program/app that allows you to operate your PC through a phone.

Yep! http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smartphones/connect-your-smartphone-to-your-desktop-via-software-or-web-service/2027

... and you can do that with all of the crew skills, and do so easily; not just Slicing.

Slicing gets you money, so it can replace any other crew skill, since you can buy what you need. If you want to synergise it the best, I'd say it should replace the in-world gathering skill that you'd otherwise take (Archaeology, Bioanalysis, Scavenging) for two reasons:

The gathered materials are more commonly and cheaply available for purchase

The missions that you get from Slicing for the 'Mission Skill' that you've selected are more likely to be more valuable to you than any missions you would get for the harvesting skill.

• 1 year later...
So, say, cybertech, slicing and underworld trading?

No.

Cybertech is fed by scavenging (for basic materials) and underworld trading (for advanced materials).

Slicing does nothing for cybertech except generate schematics. And if you want those schematics you are better served buying them off the GTM because you will spend fewer credits doing so than running a hundred missions to the one schematic you want.

personally, i find it difficult to build a character WITHOUT slicing.

regular Credit Drain missions return mission sheets while regular Unsliceable missions return the occasional Thermal Regulator to go with the tsunami of Biomechanical Interface Chips which, in turn, get used to make Augments and Augment Kits.

if you're into crafting anything Augment related, you'll quickly find you can never have too many Thermal Regulators or BMICs. now, BMICs are cheap as chips on the GTN on Harbinger (as in ~150/ea), Thermal Regulators, not so much (~18k/ea minimum, I won't sell for under 25k and then only if i really, really need the creds)

personally, I can never have enough Mythra, Turadium or Tri-Copper Flux either.

I've heard slicing is highly profitable, so I need to have one character with it.

Anyone here who uses slicing, what two crew skills do you happen to accompany it with (provided you have access to the extra slots)?

It depends on what you want to do with crew skills:

- if all you want to do is gather materials to sell on the GTM then slicing, scavenging, and underworld trading is a good combination. alternatives are archeology and bioanalysis.

- if you want to actually craft stuff, then slicing ain't that great. Slicing provides materials to armormech, armstech, and synthweaving but ONLY for augments and augment slot kits (if you want to craft armor with armormech or synthweaving you need Underworld Trading and if you want to make weapons or weapons barrels with armstech you need investigation). Yes, if you want to craft augments, then having slicing makes that crafting a little less expensive.

Also FYI, only subscribers can post on the forums and all subscribers have three crew skills.

• 8 years later...