New Character Ships

ploesch

Hi Team,

We need new Ships, not for the PVP Starfighter, but for everyday use by our characters.

Since you are looking to reduce Credits in game, these new ships could be purchased from a vendor for a large (100Million+) credits from Vendors as a personal purchase. This price would restrict purchases to be only for Subscribers. Cartel Coins would be another option, but then should be able to be unlocked for all characters.

The new ships should also be able to be decorated like a stronghold.

The ships could even be borrowed from starfighter (to begin with), some would be just the pilots compartment while others would be larger than current ships.

New ship designs would be nice though. Freighters like we have now, maybe some ships that look more armed and armored

Certainly not the first time this has been suggested.

I would love to see "Honest Oorklo's used starships" open up in some unused starport hangar somewhere.

But I know at one point it was reported to be a problem because of companion cutscenes on the ship. That, for example, cutscenes on the ship with your trooper and Aric or Elara were built specifically with those areas that they occupy baked into the scene.

That if a trooper could fly a different ship, whether a new design or any other existing design, the cut scenes wouldn't match.

But sure, sign me up. It was a good idea on the beta boards, it's a good idea now.

A variety of ships and customizable interiors, even if limited, seem like they would have been no-brainers from the start.

Sure, the story starts us in whatever we get, but the Cartel Market was always a thing, so why wouldn't they have tried to sell ships to players?

And if I can have a conversation with a companion in any of many, many cantinas or hangars, and different locations within those, then why is the background of the ship convos so important? Why do those specific conversations have a baked-in background?

But I know at one point it was reported to be a problem because of companion cutscenes on the ship.

Not just companion cutscenes, in fact. Large parts of Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 of the Inquisitor and Consular stories happen via the Intercom and are therefore tied to the ship. Something similar happens for the Trooper in a few places (notably the preparations for the Gauntlet hit). And so on. Not to mention the intros for Shadow of Revan (going to Rishi) and Rise of the Emperor (going to Ziost). And halfway through the first part of KotFE Chapter I (where you tell your companions to run for it).

And if I can have a conversation with a companion in any of many, many cantinas or hangars, and different locations within those, then why is the background of the ship convos so important? Why do those specific conversations have a baked-in background?

A few things spring to mind:

* "Fade to black" scenes in romances. Where exactly in that cantina(1)(2) do you and your companion go to get horizontal?

* Multi-companion conversations (as seen in the stories for LS Jaesa and Dr Lokin), where it surely makes more sense to have them in a controlled environment.

Specific cases:

* When Elara and the Trooper call her Personnel department contact. Doesn't make sense for that to happen in some random cantina.

* When the female Smuggler marries Corso, which makes a heap more sense if it happens on the ship's bridge.

* When Kaliyo comes to the Knight's ship as a hostage when Doc goes to offer help to that Hutt.

Yes, all those things could have been written differently to eliminate the need to put them on the ship, except that the Kaliyo thing in particular makes *no* sense unless it happens on the player's ship.

(1) I don't remember ever seeing a "let's converse" marker over a companion's head anywhere but my ship, my stronghold, and cantinas. Definitely no hangars, but getting horizontal with your companion would be even weirder in a hangar than in a cantina.

(2) I'm thinking above all of the tiny one under the Senate Plaza on Coruscant.

If a cutscene "MUST" happen on a particular ship you could just get a message, "Must be on <ship> when you try to talk to them. There are very few cutscenes that require a specific background, they are done using in game graphics after all.

A few things spring to mind:

* "Fade to black" scenes in romances. Where exactly in that cantina(1)(2) do you and your companion go to get horizontal?

* Multi-companion conversations (as seen in the stories for LS Jaesa and Dr Lokin), where it surely makes more sense to have them in a controlled environment.

Specific cases:

* When Elara and the Trooper call her Personnel department contact. Doesn't make sense for that to happen in some random cantina.

* When the female Smuggler marries Corso, which makes a heap more sense if it happens on the ship's bridge.

* When Kaliyo comes to the Knight's ship as a hostage when Doc goes to offer help to that Hutt.

But every ship has an intercom. Every ship has some communication device, or at least every ship could have such a communication device, and so on.

Yeah, I need to go to the central communication thing on the trooper ship for Elara.

Couldn't that have been written to go to any communication device on any ship? Just as the background of the cantina can change, why can't the background of the cutscene when I am talking to Dorne's handler change?

Why can't the "fade to black"s happen on any ship?

It's fine that some cutscenes have to happen on a ship. That's not the same as saying that they must happen on *THIS SPECIFIC SHIP*. I can get the same privacy on a freighter or Jedi ship as I can on a trooper ship.

Especially when they could have been charging a fair few CCs for new ships, or even letting characters access the ships of other classes (say, XXXX CCs for a totally new design, and an option to pay XXX CCs or mega-credits to unlock a ship of a class of the same faction that you have completed the story for and/or reached level 50 or whatever.

But every ship has an intercom. Every ship has some communication device, or at least every ship could have such a communication device, and so on.

Yeah, I need to go to the central communication thing on the trooper ship for Elara.

Couldn't that have been written to go to any communication device on any ship? Just as the background of the cantina can change, why can't the background of the cutscene when I am talking to Dorne's handler change?

Why can't the "fade to black"s happen on any ship?

It's fine that some cutscenes have to happen on a ship. That's not the same as saying that they must happen on *THIS SPECIFIC SHIP*. I can get the same privacy on a freighter or Jedi ship as I can on a trooper ship.

Especially when they could have been charging a fair few CCs for new ships, or even letting characters access the ships of other classes (say, XXXX CCs for a totally new design, and an option to pay XXX CCs or mega-credits to unlock a ship of a class of the same faction that you have completed the story for and/or reached level 50 or whatever.

I was answering the question of why, in the current structure, ==> this list of conversations (far beyond just companion conversations, as I noted) must take place on the ship rather than in any cantina / stronghold. But of course they could happen on *any* ship(1), but that would just leave the new ships burdened with all that cut-scene scripting.

(1) Except the *current* version of the ship-droid "welcome" conversations, since they'd have to record new versions that name the alternative ship instead of the current one.