Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR, flashy lights, and photosensitive epilepsy

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
SWTOR, flashy lights, and photosensitive epilepsy

shadowsight
03.05.2013 , 05:53 PM | #21
I would love to see some in game settings that could help tone down the effects that can trigger an episode. I've had several friends who have had to stop playing MMOs due to PE, and their bad experiences in previous games has made them unwilling to try SWTOR .

If there were settings that allowed for us to turn of the "cause seizure" effects, it would go a long way toward getting at least some new subscriptions (and preserving existing ones, like Hedda's).

There have been other games with sliders to reduce the flashy effects... if I remember right City of Heroes had something like that as well and it worked great - my friends were able to crank that down, play the game just fine, and not miss out on anything other than pain and suffering.

tomandreas
03.06.2013 , 06:27 AM | #22
It's interesting how BioWare never takes the time to participate in these threads.
A toggle for these effects should be mandatory in games.
Imemo - Sorcerer
Guild Leader of <Aphotic> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
www.aphoticguild.com

Aries_cz
03.06.2013 , 01:35 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by tomandreas View Post
It's interesting how BioWare never takes the time to participate in these threads.
A toggle for these effects should be mandatory in games.
I seriously doubt that BW bothers to check Suggestion box that often, as it is mostly just enormous cesspool of stupid and repeated ideas from people that are mentally incapable of grasping a simple concept of how development works (also knows as the "gimme gimme now" folk).
However, this topic does deserve to be kept on front page for as long as possible, as health of its customers is something that should be important to any company.
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

SithKoriandr
03.06.2013 , 05:57 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Cambiata View Post
Just want to bump this thread again and say that this is something Bioware either should have considered before creating the content, or at least they should redesign it to be more accessible to all players. A settings toggle would be enough.
Why should they have bothered? It effects how many people? It's like banning balloons in school, because 1 kid is allergic to the plastic or white dust in them. Or banning all products with nuts in them at school, because one child at the school is allergic, when telling them "Stay away and don't eat this food" is all it really takes.

I'm not surprised BW didn't respond.

Sorry my suggestion for how to possibly fix it game wise didn't work. But seriously, I wouldn't blame BW for not taking into consideration something like this. And really, if they did, the animations/aesthics would likely be called out as being terrible.

Cranksetkiller
03.06.2013 , 09:53 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Why should they have bothered? It effects how many people? It's like banning balloons in school, because 1 kid is allergic to the plastic or white dust in them. Or banning all products with nuts in them at school, because one child at the school is allergic, when telling them "Stay away and don't eat this food" is all it really takes.

Sorry my suggestion for how to possibly fix it game wise didn't work. But seriously, I wouldn't blame BW for not taking into consideration something like this. And really, if they did, the animations/aesthics would likely be called out as being terrible.
It doesn't have to be changed for everyone. An option for it to be altered for those of us who do have issues would be awsome.

Aries_cz
03.07.2013 , 03:56 PM | #26
/snip
All people are asking for a a flip switch to dumb down those graphical effects that cause these problems, not killing these effects altogether in future content.
It should be noted that what causes these problems are usually rapidly blinking lights, or rapid color switching, not normal graphics.

As for your "telling them to stay away", is it really good idea to tell people who pay for your product to stay away from the top level content?
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Cambiata
03.09.2013 , 12:52 AM | #27

Wow. Just. Wow.

Get off of Bioware's dick. A settings toggle does not universally affect every player. It just allows more people to play. This is bad, how?

I don't suffer from the problem that Hedda does, but having her leave the game affects my enjoyment of the game, as she's a long time member of my guild.

Besides which, "how many people does it affect" is a stupid measure. If something they are doing is harmful to their customers, Bioware SHOULD be aware of it and SHOULD do something to fix the problem. Period.

Essence_of_Light
03.09.2013 , 12:24 PM | #28

Calm down Ebenezer Scrooge. This isn't school so your examples make NO sense. All bioware has to do is add a slider or toggle option. If you were the person with P.E. i'm sure you'd see it differently then.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for free
goodies like Cartel Market unlocks
!

Cambiata
03.10.2013 , 02:11 AM | #29
Bumping this again to get it back on the front page.

Olicc
03.11.2013 , 10:26 AM | #30
I spoke breifly to Eric Musco (SWTOR Community Cordinator) today and he is assisting internally in getting this information over to the right people for consideration.

On a relative side note, I completed a HM Foundry yesterday on one of my Sith Alts and noticed that the HK dialouge cinimatic and figtht has a bunch of strobing lighting effects, as well. I think in general the sith side is more flashy than playing on the republic side since Sorcs have a ton of lightning attacks themselves, though these don't seem to bother her as much when fighting them in Warzones and such.

I think electricity effects are the primary culprit, though there are a few other flashing effects here and there. I think if the slider could reduce the strobing and cycling image rate on lightning it would solve 90% of the problem and that's a pretty good start.
Olicc / Noah
"The Rahzurr Legacy"
Guild Leader
Dominus Nihil