SWTOR at SW Celebration 22’!

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Star Wars Celebration is now just a few weeks away, so now is the perfect time to talk to you about what you can expect from us at the 2022 event. In previous years we have done everything from panels to a booth floor presence and of course, our Cantina event – and this year will provide attending guests with more exciting opportunities to dive into!

We hope you’re ready to embark on a journey throughout this year’s Celebration because there are going to be a number of places you can find us! In lieu of a Cantina, we will be joining the Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes team at their booth with daily opportunities for folks to have time to chat with the SWTOR dev team including Charles Boyd, Ashley Ruhl, Jackie Ko, and Phred Newman. These opportunities will include a poster signing, a chat about our collaborations with our friends on the Galaxy team to bring Malgus into Galaxy of Heroes, and more.

Inside of the Celebration Guidebook you will be able to find an interview about “Legacy of the Sith” along with what 10 years of SWTOR has been like for the team, with myself, Charles, and Keith!

Charles will also be appearing as a guest speaker on the “Crash Course Into the Old Republic” Panel!

• When: Thursday, May 26, 2022 from 2pm-3pm
  • Where: The University Stage
  • Panel Info: Thousands of years before the Skywalker name was known throughout the Galaxy, there were the incredibly powerful Rakata, a massive Sith Empire, Mandalorian fleets pushing the Republic to the brink, ancient superweapons, and the redemption of one of the most infamous figures in Star Wars: Revan. Join our panelists for a crash course on the Old Republic and its historical significance, what makes it so appealing, as well as a chance to pick our experts' brains. Stick around for discussions from both Cosplayers of the Old Republic and the gaming focused SWTOR Fan Community!

Stay tuned as schedules are still being finalized, we will keep this thread updated with specifics as they become available. If you are out and about and happen to spot a SWTOR dev wearing a shirt with the SWTOR logo on it, say hi!

We look forward to seeing you at Celebration in a few weeks!

-eric

Edited by JackieKo

HUGE bummer there won't be a Cantina event for the 10th anniversary so we can all celebrate together!!

That being said, I'll take what I can get. If that means sharing a booth with Galaxy of Heroes and bugging Charles at a panel, so be it! The signed poster sounds intriguing though, can't wait to hear more about that.

No Musco or Keith listed in this post...... I'm going to be really sad if I don't get Musco Musings© at Celebration!

Instead of collaborating with the Galaxy of Heroes team to bring Malgus to a mobile game, the devs should be working on fixing LotS, because it is an utter disaster from the ability purge, to the horrendous UI, to waiting for Weapon Designer, to the lack of story and group content, to the usual bugs and bugs galore. A collaboration with a mobile game team to add a character from this game to their game should not be a priority, not ever for a game in such an ill state. Edited by Tofu_Shark

Bummer that there will be no Cantina, those livestreams were always a way for those of us who can't be there to be part of the community. It would also be nice if for our 10th Anniversary Celebration our game was getting new content instead of some mobile game.

One thing is for certain ... things are finally becoming clear!

IMO the genuine hearts and minds of EA have been revealed! I feel sorry for the development team.

Best of luck to those who continue!

Edited by OlBuzzard

Yet another extraordinarily tone-deaf statement that reveals where the true priorities lie, even if the silent workers would rather be working to make good on the issues that would best serve the current players and subscribers funding this spiralling property.

Oh for a whistleblower with the strength of conviction to match the level of contempt being demonstrated. Where is our Jedi to match the Sith in control?

Here''s a suggestion for a truly respectable, honourable and groundbreaking approach to customer outreach - an online cantina to tell us in detail about all the fixes you are attending to, the challenges in progressing them and the candour to confirm all the fixes you won't be delivering and the reasons for that.

The game economy may be drowning in credits but there is a moral bankruptcy that seems to be plunging to a nadir not yet in sight.

Having reached GS L100 and felt hollow at the achievement it has finally dawned on me that 7.x has killed any desire to continue and complete the rep chase for the Syndicate or even do the bugged new content. I am now fully cognisant of how I really am just wasting time in this game universe. I begin my recovery from this bout of junkiedom today... unsub x2 inbound.

• 2 weeks later...

10th anniversary and instead of a cantina/livestream, SWTOR gets to be a guest in the booth of a mobile game whose predatory model is helping to destroy gaming. A game where the lead producer a few years back admitted that players wanting to be able to compete would need to drop $4,000-5,000

Yay, I'm glad there was a shift in resources to make sure you got to collaborate to put a character into a different game to milk money from players. I'm glad 6 months after the actual 10th anniversary we are back to the point where there is a non-committal road map where we can no longer get dates of updates because the Bioware once again is no longer able to meet deadlines- so we just don't have those anymore.

At least you haven't gone full Anthem where you claim to have a long term commitment to the game before announcing there is no more game.

I already responded, but it was pretty knee-jerk. This thread is very bad news because:

1. It shows EA's priorities lie in a mobile game, and mobile games are associated with pay-to-win models. This was confirmed by the poster above. It sounds a lot like the Battlefront 2 scandal.

2. It shows how much EA controls BioWare. I've heard claims from others that BioWare has a lot of independence from EA in how they operate. I never believed them, because how this game is managed makes very little sense. This announcement flies in the face of having a lot of independence that apologists often claim BioWare has.

3. It shows that in addition to the needless changes that went into 7.0 (Ability Purge, "Combat Styles," UI changes) EA thinks importing a character from SWTOR into a mobile game to make more money from it is more important than giving SWTOR attention, which is also a big moneymaker for the company. If they told BioWare to spend all their time on creating content and fixing bugs, this update may have actually been able to be considered an expansion in more than just name.

4. It shows SWTOR players and the game are not even a kriffing afterthought anymore. We don't even get a cantina where those of us who could show up in person could at least talk to the devs and enlighten them on bugs or gameplay problems they apparently "didn't know existed" because they either don't play their own game or completely tune out things they shouldn't be tuning out when they actually have technical ability and access to fix them.

5. It further irritates, angers, enrages, alienates, saddens, and/or disappoints SWTOR players, both the new and the old that have long supported this game, and those that didn't leave because of the initial 7.0 debacle are either leaving because of this revelation or have seriously begun to think about why they're still here.

I'm not sure why anyone at BioWare should feel threatened the game is going to close if it makes so much money for EA. (Imagine if even a fraction of those profits generated by SWTOR were reinvested into the game!) I know this is your livelihood, so why are you not defending it? Don't you want to be proud of your game? Stand up to EA already! Stop letting them push all of you around! You must have a breaking point? How can you let them run roughshod all over you like this? As the Player can say to Marco Zarik (one of the bounty contacts during Bounty Week):

What sort of life is that, when you never stand up for your own convictions?
Edited by Tofu_Shark

I already responded, but it was pretty knee-jerk. This thread is very bad news because:

1. It shows EA's priorities lie in a mobile game, and mobile games are associated with pay-to-win models. This was confirmed by the poster above. It sounds a lot like the Battlefront 2 scandal.

2. It shows how much EA controls BioWare. I've heard claims from others that BioWare has a lot of independence from EA in how they operate. I never believed them, because how this game is managed makes very little sense. This announcement flies in the face of having a lot of independence that apologists often claim BioWare has.

3. It shows that in addition to the needless changes that went into 7.0 (Ability Purge, "Combat Styles," UI changes) EA thinks importing a character from SWTOR into a mobile game to make more money from it is more important than giving SWTOR attention, which is also a big moneymaker for the company. If they told BioWare to spend all their time on creating content and fixing bugs, this update may have actually been able to be considered an expansion in more than just name.

4. It shows SWTOR players and the game are not even a kriffing afterthought anymore. We don't even get a cantina where those of us who could show up in person could at least talk to the devs and enlighten them on bugs or gameplay problems they apparently "didn't know existed" because they either don't play their own game or completely tune out things they shouldn't be tuning out when they actually have technical ability and access to fix them.

5. It further irritates, angers, enrages, alienates, saddens, and/or disappoints SWTOR players, both the new and the old that have long supported this game, and those that didn't leave because of the initial 7.0 debacle are either leaving because of this revelation or have seriously begun to think about why they're still here.

I'm not sure why anyone at BioWare should feel threatened the game is going to close if it makes so much money for EA. (Imagine if even a fraction of those profits generated by SWTOR were reinvested into the game!) I know this is your livelihood, so why are you not defending it? Don't you want to be proud of your game? Stand up to EA already! Stop letting them push all of you around! You must have a breaking point? How can you let them run roughshod all over you like this? As the Player can say to Marco Zarik (one of the bounty contacts during Bounty Week):

For the record:

** You and seldom agree!

** But this time I believe that you have (if nothing else) expressed a lot of concerns that are shared by more and more players.

** IF your assessment is inaccurate ... and EA really does want SWTOR to grow and be the success that it could be ... someone has a REALLY strange way of demonstrating it!

ALSO (it should be noted) :

** Overall my comments are not meant to be an attack on the development team. I personally believe that what we are seeing is not a reflection of their ability to produce a quality product ... but rather a demonstration of something else that (in the bigger picture) that we are not able to see accurately.

** IMO the team are people just like the rest of us. (and yes even from a management stand point of view). I've been there! And I know what it means to be told to "make bricks without straw" (and on a national level at that). Trust me .. it's NO FUN AT ALL !!!

** Overall ... I'm sadly disappointed in the current state of SWTOR.

** YES I am hanging on to a very small rope with a knot tied in the end. (Some will get that ... others wont ... sorry). But that same rope seems to have been chewed in the middle by a bunch of rats. And what's left can't hold out that much longer.