What happened to this game?!?! Gear is a NIGHTMARE!

damonskye

I absolutely loved the gearing system in 6.0. I had endless fun leveling my alts through various content (did some ops with a guild, flashpoints, dailies, etc.) and banked all my tech fragments to upgrade all my alts to get tacticals and tier gear. Yeah, there was a ton of gear dropping all the time, but that was great... I was able to deconstruct it all to get more tech fragments to get more good 306 tier gear.

I just came back to the game after an absence and I am just... mortified.

Let's forget for a minute the absolute slog that was leveling to 80 through Manaan... now at endgame, I had to spend all week for this collect-100-points quest on one character, just to then spend much of what I'd earned on ONE implant for a minor upgrade. And now, it's over and over again to get a second implant. For one character.

I'm appalled.

There are people who are going to reply to this saying that I don't "need" gear. People will say that I should 'get gud' or do nightmare ops or whatever they're called. Those people are wrong. 6.0 gearing was FUN. 6.0 gearing made me want to play my alts. 6.0 gearing felt so rewarding because we saw the rewards immediately.

What was so wrong with 6.0 gearing that these developers spent their precious few resources on changing it to the endless awful gear grind of so many other games, and doing it so BADLY at the same time?

I can't believe how bad this is now. 7.0-7.1 is the worst incarnation of SWTOR since the game began.

Truly appalling.

Edited by damonskye

Meh I no longer care...I just don't.

Gearing started out being a convoluted mess and has just gotten worse...Were in yet another "Git Good" phase of the game...they usually last six months to a year. It's nothing new....

Welcome to SWTOR

Gearing in 6.0 was stupid. Spending tech frags at the spoils of gear vendor on rng items to min max ur toons, or having to wait for a lucky drop... was dumb. Also the insane amount of trash gear you had to deconstruct, it wasn't swtor it was gear deconstruction simulator 3000. Edited by Samcuu

Gearing in 6.0 had some minor flaws (why so many different mods?), but at least it was possible for everyone to get gear.

Gearing in 7.1 is restricted to elite raiders. Just so they can pose on the fleet how great they are and all these noobs didn't deserve this gear anyway with their inability. I thought MMORPGS were over this nonsense by now, but then came star retro wars 7.1

Gearing in 6.0 was stupid. Spending tech frags at the spoils of gear vendor on rng items to min max ur toons, or having to wait for a lucky drop... was dumb. Also the insane amount of trash gear you had to deconstruct, it wasn't swtor it was gear deconstruction simulator 3000.

Wrong. Gearing in 6.0 allowed EVERYONE to participate in the gearing process.

That's very important for the future of the game. Like it or not, the minmax/raiding "elite" in SWTOR is a miniscule amount of people. This isn't WOW or FFXIV or even Guild Wars 2. SWTOR is entirely propped up by the subscriptions of, and cartel market purchases of, a dwindling amount of customers, the overwhelming majority of which do not touch operations. And what the SWTOR devs just did is double down on that infinitesimally small number of players who raid, rather than what they did in 6.0 which was embrace everyone's playstyle.

In 6.0 and its patches, at least I could satisfy my desire to play across a broad variety of my characters. Now, with all the work having to go into just one character, and very little repeatable content at endgame, I find myself logging out pretty swiftly.

I guarantee you, this is not healthy for SWTOR's future. This 7.0-7.1 gear system was a colossal mistake.

Edited by damonskye

That's very important for the future of the game. Like it or not, the minmax/raiding "elite" in SWTOR is a miniscule amount of people. This isn't WOW or FFXIV or even Guild Wars 2. SWTOR is entirely propped up by the subscriptions of, and cartel market purchases of, a dwindling amount of customers, the overwhelming majority of which do not touch operations. And what the SWTOR devs just did is double down on that infinitesimally small number of players who raid, rather than what they did in 6.0 which was embrace everyone's playstyle.

In 6.0 and its patches, at least I could satisfy my desire to play across a broad variety of my characters. Now, with all the work having to go into just one character, and very little repeatable content at endgame, I find myself logging out pretty swiftly.

I guarantee you, this is not healthy for SWTOR's future. This 7.0-7.1 gear system was a colossal mistake.

They did u a favor, you just don't know it because u don't understand how to gear urself and what stats u need. All the gear is legacy bound, and loadouts provide u with the tool to equip all ur perfectly min maxed gear with one click. U can get 328 purple gear within like 3 weeks of dinging 80, and you really only have to change one or two pieces of gear depending on wut class ur playing. Only thing you've really got to grind for between ur alts is the packages with the set bonuses, and tank gear if ur going full mit (alts can now buy the mods/enhancements so that saves even more time) Again 7.0 >>>> 6.0 and it's not even close. And I didn't even touch on the very little rng u have to contend with in 7.0.

Edited by Samcuu

I can understand not liking the 7.0 gearing path, but anyone praising 6.0 has obviously suppressed all memories of that initial 30+ item levels of grinding to get 306 gear on your first character.

• Remember Hammer Station / Reaper runs ad nauseum?
  • Remember the mere 25% chance a crate/boss item was actually an ilvl upgrade?

Gearing in 6.0 was stupid. Spending tech frags at the spoils of gear vendor on rng items to min max ur toons, or having to wait for a lucky drop... was dumb. Also the insane amount of trash gear you had to deconstruct, it wasn't swtor it was gear deconstruction simulator 3000.

That's very important for the future of the game. Like it or not, the minmax/raiding "elite" in SWTOR is a miniscule amount of people.

learn to Read Samcuu pointed out exactly what you asked in red

What was so wrong with 6.0 gearing that these developers spent their precious few resources on changing it to the endless awful gear grind of so many other games, and doing it so BADLY at the same time?

That:

6.x gearing needed an UX Update to autotrash trash and the removal of most of the RNG, but you didn't ask for how 6.x should have been fixed, you asked what was wrong with 6.x.

You didn't ask what 7.0/7.1 does wrong that 6.x did right, you asked what was wrong with 6.x and you got a 100% correct answer.

• Remember Hammer Station / Reaper runs ad nauseum?
  • Remember the mere 25% chance a crate/boss item was actually an ilvl upgrade?

No i don't actually remember that... in a bad way at least.

I focused on one character at first to get the rating up to 306, which meant playing less alts at first. But here's the kicker: I did it by playing all kinds of different content at my own pace and i had helluwa lot of fun doing that.

I did not spam HS or Reaper. I played all kinds of DIFFERENT stuff that i LIKED. I was not FORCED to do content i didn't like.

Now the current gearing is just a super stupid and boring grindfest in the same style that it has always been in other MMO's (and in SWTOR pre-6) which was the reason i quit the other MMO's i've played.

I would've quit SWTOR as well if there was an alternative for the "SW" part.

Now i'm forced to do pvp which i hate and gsf which i like but only in small doses.

Op's i will not touch with a mile long stick. Conquest is an awful joke at the moment. FP gear is pretty awful as well.

Sure, 6.3 gearing had it's problems and the initial 6.0 version even more so, but it was still a lot better than this utter garbage of a gearing system we have now.

They did u a favor, you just don't know it because u don't understand how to gear urself and what stats u need. All the gear is legacy bound, and loadouts provide u with the tool to equip all ur perfectly min maxed gear with one click. U can get 328 purple gear within like 3 weeks of dinging 80....

Well, I am sorry, but I hardly call it a FAVOR. Spending 3 weeks on mindless grinding one type of activity, for upgrading one set of gear while I have 38 alts is purely nonsensical and waste of time.

in 6.0 we could get gear from ANYTHING we were doing, HOWEVER we wanted to play.

Now we are bound to either do PVP or GSF or Ops or MM FPS for specific type of currency (that obviously has weekly caps) and then endless replacing particular items for "slighly only better" version.

it is paid service and if in another store/service they would take my money and told me to "go this way and that stairs and that slope for a week to reach what you MAY wish to have" I would simply say "thank you, but no, thank you". (to be polite)

In 7.0 i do not give a slightest damn about gearing, I run everything in green 320 and i do not care,

I have better things to do than investing my free time into stupidity.

Not to mention stripping our characters from many abilities and "power" to go through the neverending mob-fest.

Just NO.

It took me over 1.5 years to mix/max 1 perfect DPS set in 6.0. Finding 451 Crit Enhancements was that slow. In 7.0 I was able to hit 330 in two months.

You are correct, gearing in 7.0 is idiotic. The only real upgrade we had in 7.0 was that each player was given their own loot. That was the only improvment to gearing in 7.0 and that could easily have been implemented with the 6.0 gearing system.

Any player doing anything in the game could improve their gear in 6.0... or they could completely ignore it. The poster complaining about "too much junk gear"... what like 7.0 and the constant duplicates or lower quality gear we receive in raiding?

"oh no I was getting too much useless gear I could deconstruct for Tech Fragements, Legendary Embers, and Jawa Junk which I could use to buy almost any crafting material I needed!!"

Versus now where we are awarded 18,000 credits for doing bonus missions and anything over 100k Conquest is pointless.

Edited by illgot

Well, I am sorry, but I hardly call it a FAVOR. Spending 3 weeks on mindless grinding one type of activity, for upgrading one set of gear while I have 38 alts is purely nonsensical and waste of time.

in 6.0 we could get gear from ANYTHING we were doing, HOWEVER we wanted to play.

Now we are bound to either do PVP or GSF or Ops or MM FPS for specific type of currency (that obviously has weekly caps) and then endless replacing particular items for "slighly only better" version.

it is paid service and if in another store/service they would take my money and told me to "go this way and that stairs and that slope for a week to reach what you MAY wish to have" I would simply say "thank you, but no, thank you". (to be polite)

In 7.0 i do not give a slightest damn about gearing, I run everything in green 320 and i do not care,

Not to mention stripping our characters from many abilities and "power" to go through the neverending mob-fest.

Just NO.

Yes, you don't understand the gearing system, you don't need a full FP set, you don't need a full pvp set. This gearing system also enables you to do whatever you want because you will always get an upgrade from any weekly as long as it is group content.

Also 3 weeks??? Please, to get to 326 it takes a few days.

These posts are just made by people who don't know how to gear and don't understand the system at all.

Yes, you don't understand the gearing system, you don't need a full FP set, you don't need a full pvp set. This gearing system also enables you to do whatever you want because you will always get an upgrade from any weekly as long as it is group content.

These posts are just made by people who don't know how to gear and don't understand the system at all.

Once you start gearing up there is no point in doing lower level content that only offers inferior gear.

I have full 330 rakata and for months have had absolutely no reason to do normal flashpoints, SM/Vet ops, even NIM ops when I hit full 330 were pointless.

In 6.0 anything a player did could yield possible upgrade, maybe only a mod but there is a chance something useful could drop. The Renown system gave players a reason to do anything (yes I know not YOU but some players). Even if nothing useful dropped players could deconstruct all the gear in for Legendary Embers, Jawa Junk and tech frags.

In 7.0 deconstructing gear gives you more tokens that have been maxed for months and a paltry amount of tech frags. Not even Legendary Embers or Jawa Junk.

You may like this current system but it eliminates any reason content once you gear surpasses that contents rewards.

I went from constantly doing conquest goals and Heroics/Vet FPs in 6.0 always hunting for 451 Enchancements, and adding Legendary Embers/Tech Frags/Jawa Junk to doing absolutely none of that once I hit 326 PvP gear and even stopped doing NIM Ops once I hit full 330 Rakata.

7.0 gearing made it pointless to do anything that did not offer an upgrade. We'll see how 7.1 works out but I'm not looking forward to only doing one ops for possible upgrades.

Edited by illgot

So u play swtor purely to try and upgrade ur gear? Dayum so u must have been a huge fan of the gear upgrade/deconstruction simulator 3000 from 6.0 😂😂

Gear grind isn't content I'm sorry. A short gear grind is one thing, trying to extend it out years and make it a credit sink like in 6.0 is shameful imo, just a replacement for actual content and to keep u chasing a carrot.

Edited by Samcuu

and THAT'S exactly my point! For all past 10 years I UNDERSTOOD how the gearing works, from 1.0 to 6.3.

Now it is a TOTAL MESS.

All the more not to give a damn about new gear.

Besides, I do not play this game for gearing. I play it for experience, for immersion.

Deciphering the "what did the devs mean by this and that vendor" is not my idea of "having fun" in the game.

Just NO.

If you have 38 alts, all u have to do is get the basic gear and u can set up ur loadouts to equip said gear with 1 button. Only extra thing u gotta do is get the implant set bonuses for each of the 4 classes. Tell me how long it took u to get fully min maxed gear for all 38 of ur toons with 6 piece set bonuses and rolling all gold amplifiers in 6.0? Again u should be thanking bioware for making it extremely easy to gear and then share it between all ur alts to ur hearts content. Just gotta pay a bit of attention on how to gear 😂😂

Edited by Samcuu

Once you start gearing up there is no point in doing lower level content that only offers inferior gear.

nope, not really. GSF / SM OPS will give you way more tech Fragments/ Time spent, then Harder Content and Fragments is by far the most valuable stuff currently.

I have full 330 rakata and for months have had absolutely no reason to do normal flashpoints, SM/Vet ops, even NIM ops when I hit full 330 were pointless.

so you didn't have to grind endlessly for ******** rng drops, that's good.

In 6.0 anything a player did could yield possible upgrade, maybe only a mod but there is a chance something useful could drop. The Renown system gave players a reason to do anything (yes I know not YOU but some players). Even if nothing useful dropped players could deconstruct all the gear in for Legendary Embers, Jawa Junk and tech frags.
compared to skipping the disintegration and just banking the Fragments directly, how is the extra step a good thing? the "anything part" is literally the only positive going for 6.x Gear, simple fix bring CXP back and instead of having it spam your Inventory with **** have it reward the Currencies you need, **** off with the 6.x ******** Item Spam

In 7.0 deconstructing gear gives you more tokens that have been maxed for months and a paltry amount of tech frags. Not even Legendary Embers or Jawa Junk.
good. Embers can be bought for Tech Fragments and Junk gives you nothing that couldn't simply be Gathered. I'm fine with letting gatherers gather if that saves me 3 Inventory Slots.

You may like this current system but it eliminates any reason content once you gear surpasses that contents rewards.
1:1 identical to 6.3 except once you had gear you would have to avoid doing content to avoid Inventory Cleaning Simulator. in 7.0 and 7.1 once you have BIS (in a much shorter Time then you would have had in 6.x) you can just freely play whatever you like.

I went from constantly doing conquest goals and Heroics/Vet FPs in 6.0 always hunting for 451 Enchancements, and adding Legendary Embers/Tech Frags/Jawa Junk to doing absolutely none of that once I hit 326 PvP gear and even stopped doing NIM Ops once I hit full 330 Rakata.
I recommend just playing what you Enjoy, if Gear Farm is what you want I can recommend WoW to you, you'll never be done farming Gear and should you be done anyway before the much more regular fresh Gear, you can simply start at 0 with the next char instead of 90% like in SWTOR.

7.0 gearing made it pointless to do anything that did not offer an upgrade. We'll see how 7.1 works out but I'm not looking forward to only doing one ops for possible upgrades.

6.3 not only made it Pointless to do anything once you were BIS it made me actively avoid playing so to you there wouldn't be any difference to me 7.0 made the game actually enjoyable for the first time in Years.

other Content will still yield way more Tech Fragments then Anomaly, and only a tiny amount of players will kill Boss one in Veteran mode anyway so gear being exclusive to there doesn't really matter for content Variety since barely anyone will get anything from it anyway -> no sense spamming it before the Nerf. (and it's not like doing it 12 Times for bis would be spam either 12 times is nothing) during Dread Fortress/Palace Times I spammed those every day of the Week for the entire Patch, a different Class each Day, those were the golden Days.

TLDR: 7.1 is meh just like 7.0 was but both are at least an improvement from Years of 6.x Cancer.

nope, not really. GSF / SM OPS will give you way more tech Fragments/ Time spent, then Harder Content and Fragments is by far the most valuable stuff currently.

so you didn't have to grind endlessly for ******** rng drops, that's good.

compared to skipping the disintegration and just banking the Fragments directly, how is the extra step a good thing? the "anything part" is literally the only positive going for 6.x Gear, simple fix bring CXP back and instead of having it spam your Inventory with **** have it reward the Currencies you need, **** off with the 6.x ******** Item Spam

good. Embers can be bought for Tech Fragments and Junk gives you nothing that couldn't simply be Gathered. I'm fine with letting gatherers gather if that saves me 3 Inventory Slots.

1:1 identical to 6.3 except once you had gear you would have to avoid doing content to avoid Inventory Cleaning Simulator. in 7.0 and 7.1 once you have BIS (in a much shorter Time then you would have had in 6.x) you can just freely play whatever you like.

I recommend just playing what you Enjoy, if Gear Farm is what you want I can recommend WoW to you, you'll never be done farming Gear and should you be done anyway before the much more regular fresh Gear, you can simply start at 0 with the next char instead of 90% like in SWTOR.

6.3 not only made it Pointless to do anything once you were BIS it made me actively avoid playing so to you there wouldn't be any difference to me 7.0 made the game actually enjoyable for the first time in Years.

other Content will still yield way more Tech Fragments then Anomaly, and only a tiny amount of players will kill Boss one in Veteran mode anyway so gear being exclusive to there doesn't really matter for content Variety since barely anyone will get anything from it anyway -> no sense spamming it before the Nerf. (and it's not like doing it 12 Times for bis would be spam either 12 times is nothing) during Dread Fortress/Palace Times I spammed those every day of the Week for the entire Patch, a different Class each Day, those were the golden Days.

TLDR: 7.1 is meh just like 7.0 was but both are at least an improvement from Years of 6.x Cancer.

You guys can have whatever healthy (or not) argument here, but the only reason I play the game are parts like "Digging Deeper".

The rest is.... just not even tertiary :rak_03:

suff

you did not have to grind endlessly in 6.0. I hit 306 in one evening buying random mods off the GTN.

95% of the sets were on venders and you were perfectly fine using vender sets for all classes. It wasn't optimal, but neither are the set stats for 7.0.

And deconstructing gear is how I ended up with 12,000 Legendary Embers (along with buying Legendary Embers from other players). Deconstructing gear gave players a constant stream of Tech Fragments, Legendary Embers, and Jawa Junk. Sorry if deconstructing was too much work for free crafting resources and more Tech Frags than we currently get for deconstructing gear.

I used to run extra Heroics, the quick ones, once I hit over 50k conquest points in 6.0. I also did the bonus missions because of renown. Now... my character hits 100k and I am done with them. The only repeating thing worth it in the game is PvP because the GSF weeklies are worth the tech frags.

You considered 6.0 gearing too difficult and impossible. I came back in the middle of 6.0, bought all the mods to hit 306 in one night, then started the process of buying sets from venders (which was a lot cheaper than upgrading Implants in 7.0).

Unless you were going after perfect stats in 6.0, the gearing process was very easy.

For 7.0, not 7.1, I hit max gear in two month and I was done. I had no reason to keep grinding ops, no real reason to even hit 100k conquest because there was nothing to improve on the sets. The stats were baked in so there was no point.

Edited by illgot

I absolutely loved the gearing system in 6.0. I had endless fun leveling my alts through various content (did some ops with a guild, flashpoints, dailies, etc.) and banked all my tech fragments to upgrade all my alts to get tacticals and tier gear. Yeah, there was a ton of gear dropping all the time, but that was great... I was able to deconstruct it all to get more tech fragments to get more good 306 tier gear.

I just came back to the game after an absence and I am just... mortified.

Let's forget for a minute the absolute slog that was leveling to 80 through Manaan... now at endgame, I had to spend all week for this collect-100-points quest on one character, just to then spend much of what I'd earned on ONE implant for a minor upgrade. And now, it's over and over again to get a second implant. For one character.

I'm appalled.

There are people who are going to reply to this saying that I don't "need" gear. People will say that I should 'get gud' or do nightmare ops or whatever they're called. Those people are wrong. 6.0 gearing was FUN. 6.0 gearing made me want to play my alts. 6.0 gearing felt so rewarding because we saw the rewards immediately.

I can't believe how bad this is now. 7.0-7.1 is the worst incarnation of SWTOR since the game began.

Truly appalling.

^ +1 O M G, ikr, gearing is definitely a [nightmare]-which is thee word to sum up this 7.-Dispansion.

Gearing up 1 class is downright horrid, like a horror movie; not going to bother doing it on alts of other classes either.

Edited by Willjb

I pretty much agree with all of this and also with this post by Przemo_No

"Quote: Originally Posted by Samcuu View Post

They did u a favor, you just don't know it because u don't understand how to gear urself and what stats u need. All the gear is legacy bound, and loadouts provide u with the tool to equip all ur perfectly min maxed gear with one click. U can get 328 purple gear within like 3 weeks of dinging 80....

Just NO. "

This game is a huge ol grindfest for very little reward. I liked playing on my alts. Now I may log in once a week to do something on one character and log back out.

I'm not sure what was so bad about "Play your way." I guess they rather we play how they tell us to. No thanks.

The broken record plays again:

This gearing system is MORE alt friendly than 6.0. If you are a sniper and you want to gear your commando all you have to do is: Buy a main and offhand, and spend 5k fragments on legendries then you put your gear into the legacy cargo, take it on your commando and done. In 6.0 you have to spend 18k fragments for a set bonus, people seem to be forgetting that, and then you had to farm mods armorings and enhancements all of which in 20 variations with maybe 3 the you could realistically use so that part was even more RNG heavy.

Again: Conquest isn't a gear path, it's a bonus to all the other gear paths. In PvE you do Conquest, in PvP you do Conquest. It's not meant to be the only gear you wear, thats why that gear path is so much inferior because it's only a bonus to the other gear paths. You can still only gear via conquest but the gear/time investment is not worth it at all.

Who says you need a full set? Just mix and match the pieces, you can very much use 1 piece of conquest gear, 8 pieces of PvP Gear and 3 pieces of FP gear (as an example) and be comfortable, neither of these pieces, if green blue or purple are inferior. If you still dislike different colors in your gear, which is understandable, you just upgrade FP and conquest to 326, do a PvP weekly and get a FORCED 328 purple piece of gear.

The broken record plays again

Why do regularly pop up such threads from many different players and everytime the same few come forward to say thats all not true? Maybe thats something we should meditate about?

[.. start your meditation here...]

Once you've reached wisdom, two - and only two - not three, four or five - answers will appear in your mind:

a) You're wrong about the gearing system. Because so many players complain about it, it is really horrible and thats the devs fault, because the design is bad.

OR

b) Your're right about the gearing system. Its wonderful and really good, but most players dont get that, so you have to explain it to them over and over again. In this case, its the devs fault, because their new gearing system is way too complicated and not intuitiv enough for most players.

So, with this two completely different answers we ended at the same point: Its the devs fault. They should do something about it.

In case you don't come to this conclusion please repeat your meditation.

Edited by Xhuuyaa

you did not have to grind endlessly in 6.0. I hit 306 in one evening buying random mods off the GTN.

that's exactly the Issue: you got gear in 3 Weeks MAX. and then you paid for that by having to filter out the trash from your Offspec Gear for Years. That's one of the Grinds I'm talking about.