Disable chat in solo ranked to keep it alive

ralphieceaser

Solo ranked always suffered population issues but not due to the population of the game, due to the fact that many people there are incredibly angry, emotional and toxic which leads to them pushing people away.

Their self destructive behavior has hurt solo ranked participation heavily so why not try to fix this problem so solo ranked pops more often? It is clear that most western companies wont ever bother hiring enough GMs to punish ToS breakers unlike eastern games like FF14.

So the next best solution would be to disable the chat. Yeah people can still rage whisper but people can easily ignore them, and a whisper is very different than a public chat that is visible to all. So simply disable general and group chats in solo ranked arenas and that could help a lot with ques popping more often.

Some angry emotional people will rage and fume but they wont be able to do anything anymore :mon_biggrin:

And if disabling the chat proves hard you could always temporarily turn off player’s chat rights until the arena ends

And let's be clear, solo ranked is rarely ever about coordinated strategy, solo que arenas are a different beast to group que arenas, in any game, in solo ques it is less about planned coordination and more about how quickly can the people of the group take advantage of opportunities that arise and coordinate in real time, no voice comms, no plans, it is mainly about the participants reaction time and understanding of classes.

So losing the chat isnt going to harm solo ranked at all, if anything it doubles down on the skills needed for solo ranked which are different to group ranked.

Edited by ralphieceaser

If you want you can legacy ignore everyone that ques ranked. don't recommend. you will probably lose every game. but then again you think sr is never about teamwork, coordination, and planning so....

And let's be clear, solo ranked is rarely ever about coordinated strategy.
Edited by septru

And let's be clear, solo ranked is rarely ever about coordinated strategy, solo que arenas are a different beast to group que arenas, in any game, in solo ques it is less about planned coordination and more about how quickly can the people of the group take advantage of opportunities that arise and coordinate in real time, no voice comms, no plans, it is mainly about the participants reaction time and understanding of classes.

Not sure if you're trolling or not, but this is just laughably wrong.

I’m pretty sure you’re trolling. But in the event that you aren’t, this may be the stupidest “plan” for fixing PvP I’ve ever heard. Especially since you can put people on legacy ignore or, you know, turn off general chat yourself.

Not sure if you're trolling or not, but this is just laughably wrong.

Don't you love being bronzesplained to? ralphieceaser has got solo ranked all figured out, enlightening us on the REAL ISSUES from his 1100 elo perch.

Edited by EnzoForMe

Don't you love being bronzesplained to? ralphieceaser has got solo ranked all figured out, enlightening us on the REAL ISSUES from his 1100 elo perch.

This post illustrates the level of maturity that a lot of players from the ranked community posses . Instead of coming up with an argument why that guy isn't right , you directly wanted to make your point by pointing out his elo, as if that that means anything in this ***show anyway .

I am sorry. I forgot that only the cool kids from the top are allowed to have say in matters concerning PVP . 110 elo rated like the OP , who pays his sub the same way as you do should just go back in his basement , keep quiet and l2p.

OP .

Disabling chat won't fix ranked PVP, and you want it taken out because others were saying " nice words " to you . You can read the strat and disable it afterwards . Toxicity will not be fixed ever and you have no control over it . You have, however, control over the way you react when someone is toxic towards you. Also, people won't normally be toxic if you play at decent level , but if you die in 2 seconds every game for example..... :(

Disabling chat won't fix ranked PVP, and you want it taken out because others were saying " nice words " to you

You dont understand, this is not a solution to toxicity, this is a way to make solo ranked pop more often.

Many people dont stick to solo ranked because angry emotional people keep raging at them, hence they leave, hence the que pops less often. And let's not forget the people who because they get tired of all the insults they decide to die early just to piss those people off resulting in an even worse experience for everyone but them since he at least gets to enjoy so raging from his angry teammates.

The source of the problem in both cases is the chat

I want MORE solo ranked to pop throughout the day, and the only easy and simple solution right now is to disable the chat so more people dont leave due to toxicity.

And i wont bother with people who confuse "focus x" and talking to people they ve never played b4 as somekind of strat because they clearly never understood what solo que is and what pvp type it attracts.

Edited by ralphieceaser

You dont understand, this is not a solution to toxicity, this is a way to make solo ranked pop more often.

Many people dont stick to solo ranked because angry emotional people keep raging at them, hence they leave, hence the que pops less often. And let's not forget the people who because they get tired of all the insults they decide to die early just to piss those people off resulting in an even worse experience for everyone but them since he at least gets to enjoy so raging from his angry teammates.

The source of the problem in both cases is the chat

I want MORE solo ranked to pop throughout the day, and the only easy and simple solution right now is to disable the chat so more people dont leave due to toxicity.

And i wont bother with people who confuse "focus x" and talking to people they ve never played b4 as somekind of strat because they clearly never understood what solo que is and what pvp type it attracts.

Let's summarize a bit the experience of a typical player who gets toxicity :

Maybe you are player that plays unranked on a regular basis , you know you rotation, you know at least at basic level how to use your defenses , and you decide to que ranked because you want some good challenge. You hit up the que with your Jugg dps and you get a pop. You end up against some operatives , sorc and sniper and you are eager to start the match. After strat is decided, you finally go in and then..... one oper pops out of stealth and stuns you . You panic and you break, then the other one saps you from stealth again and they " chop chop" chop, chop" you down. You use your defenses , try all and you end up dead in like 7, 8 seconds . What happens next ? Your team will start talking nicely about your mom....:rolleyes:

You see, removing the chat won't really fix that , but I appreciate the fact that you tried to make a point and brought some arguments as to why you want the chat removed.

You believe that talking in chat is not " solo " enough and you should be totally on your own , without chat . It's an interesting concept , but I doubt it will be more than a thread on this pVp forum. You know, the devs don't really care about PVP . They are very slow to make changes... :rolleyes:

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Let's summarize a bit the experience of a typical player who gets toxicity :

Maybe you are player that plays unranked on a regular basis , you know you rotation, you know at least at basic level how to use your defenses , and you decide to que ranked because you want some good challenge. You hit up the que with your Jugg dps and you get a pop. You end up against some operatives , sorc and sniper and you are eager to start the match. After strat is decided, you finally go in and then..... one oper pops out of stealth and stuns you . You panic and you break, then the other one saps you from stealth again and they " chop chop" chop, chop" you down. You use your defenses , try all and you end up dead in like 7, 8 seconds . What happens next ? Your team will start talking nicely about your mom....:rolleyes:

You see, removing the chat won't really fix that:

Yes but that is the process of learning, there's many people who que into solo ranked, get deleted and slowly learn, you arent gonna be great at solo ranked in game 1 since it is a completely different game to regs. (And if you want my personal experience I ll say I cant really lose, either we win or I get to enjoy some people's rage so my experience had been quite fun at start either way xd)

People definitely dont enjoy getting deleted, but I believe there's many people who will keep trying and learning from that, but for many of those, the constant moaning and toxicity in the chat is the reason they choose to not bother again, not because they got deleted the first couple of times they joined, that is something they have power over by realizing what they need to do the next time.

The root cause is your own teammates screeching like that angry german kid video, so if that issue is dealt with, the solo ranked participation would increase and would pop more often which is what I want, I want solo ranked to pop more often throughout the day.

You believe that talking in chat is not " solo " enough and you should be totally on your own , without chat . It's an interesting concept , but I doubt it will be more than a thread on this pVp forum. You know, the devs don't really care about PVP

Solo ques in any ranked game always worked differently, it is about the players ability to work in real time with others and take advantage of opportunities because you dont get to talk in voice comms or have serious strats or know each other well and how each other players or set up coordinated kills due to the lack of coordination that is only found in group ranked and premades.

This is not just about swtor, but any game that has a solo ranked ques, solo ranked will always be a different beast to group ranked.

But yeah, I dont know how much attention they are paying to pvp, I know 7.2 is gonna be more pvp focused so maybe we could see some changes hopefully because I want more people to do solo ranked

This post illustrates the level of maturity that a lot of players from the ranked community posses . Instead of coming up with an argument why that guy isn't right , you directly wanted to make your point by pointing out his elo, as if that that means anything in this ***show anyway .

I am sorry. I forgot that only the cool kids from the top are allowed to have say in matters concerning PVP . 110 elo rated like the OP , who pays his sub the same way as you do should just go back in his basement , keep quiet and l2p.

OP .

Disabling chat won't fix ranked PVP, and you want it taken out because others were saying " nice words " to you . You can read the strat and disable it afterwards . Toxicity will not be fixed ever and you have no control over it . You have, however, control over the way you react when someone is toxic towards you. Also, people won't normally be toxic if you play at decent level , but if you die in 2 seconds every game for example..... :(

The op wants to squelch an entire population while they play ranked. This thread is for comedic value, typing six paragraphs of why the idea is absurd is not worth anyone's time.

Edited by EnzoForMe

+1 to that.

The biggest and most succesfull MMO does exactly that (FFXIV), there's NO chat in ranked, not even team chat and that works perfectly you know why? Because you can MARK someone so everyone follow instructions on which target to focus.

If the chat gets disabled I might consider coming back to ranked.

+1 to that.

The biggest and most succesfull MMO does exactly that (FFXIV), there's NO chat in ranked, not even team chat and that works perfectly you know why? Because you can MARK someone.

Something we already have in swtor so disabling the chat would be the last step to achieve this.

Sadly many choose to ignore problems and solutions to problems if they conflict with what they ve been taught is normal and right, imagining solutions that are not chained by adherence to the old standards is often needed in order to fix modern problems.

Which is why I am feeling many mmorpgs including WoW have trouble surviving these days, the devs come from the old mmorpg guard, a time where mmorpgs and the playerbase were nothing like today, so all the lessons and design philosophies they developed from back then are irrelevant to today's modern mmorpg.

Hell FF14 has always been an mmorpg that put story and casual content first and foremost, yet to this day there's many old guard mmorpg devs who cant even fathom the idea that people prefer to play MMOrpgs solo rather then group and deal with other people (Expect obviously killing them in pvp xd)

I honestly just read the title before I made up my mind about this post. If you disabled chat it would be utter chaos with everyone attacking whoever they thought would be a better target resulting in basically 8 people 1v1ing. It would be dumb Edited by xXSchmedlyXx