Spirit of Vengeance

Is it just me, or is the Spirit of Vengeance's story mode too difficult for a single player to complete on their own? I mean, I don't mind that I don't have a droid to assist me (I've completed flashpoints on story mode without droids in the past), and I've completed all solo flashpoints up until the Spirit of Vengeance with virtually the same gear. But it seems like it's too easy too aggro too many enemies at once, particularly after exiting the galley (kitchen). Any thoughts?

Is it just me, or is the Spirit of Vengeance's story mode too difficult for a single player to complete on their own?

Short answer: No

Longer answer: SoV can be more difficult for some players. It does require that you have good gear and that you know how to use your self heals and damage mitigation skills. Also helps to kill the enemy healers asap.

In the past, it wasn't just you:

-Many folks complained about the level of SoV's difficulty and mob density and requested it to be nerfed because it was too hard and they couldn't complete it with the gear they had on.

-A different set of folks enjoyed the level of difficulty and felt challenged in a way story-content hadn't engaged them in awhile. Their advice for the first set was much like Quaker's above: "Slow down, make sure you know your skills and abilities well, be smart about how you draw in the mobs, kill the healers" (don't just leap into the middle and start button smashing)

I had a hard time with it on my undergeared 1st character (combat sentinel), but I did some FPs, increased my iRating to over 290, approached it more carefully, used my defensives, and beat it! (felt really great).

Now you may not like to hear this part: Spirit of Vengeance was re-balanced a couple times to reduce mob HP, and then outright nerfed by taking mobs out of a couple encounters in story-mode. As is, SoV is incredibly easier than it was when it came out.

For aggroing too many enemies, used ranged skills to draw a group to you, don't go to them, use corners and obstacles to break Line-of-sight and make them bunch together so AoE can get them all, etc...

For gear, I infer from your latest response that you may be missing some details of gearing.

-Main Gear: This is what you see when you open the character panel. This needs to be the best iRating gear you pick up! It doesn't matter if its butt ugly, this is what helps you kill things and stay alive. (bioware made it easier by adding little green arrows on gear that should help you when equipped) If you've been selecting Main Gear because of how it looks and not its stats, you've seriously hampered your combat ability

-Cosmetic Gear: Outfits are cosmetic gear slots in the numbered boxes at the top of your character panel. They do not contribute to your combat performance. You can equip any armor you think looks good in that outfit slot and "activate" it so that's what folks see, but you'll still draw your performance from the Main Gear slots back on the main character panel

You increase your iRating by equipping higher rated ears/implants/relics, armor and weapons. If you have adaptable armor, you can upgrade the mods (purchase at fleet vendors up to level 70, conquest/FP/OP rewards after that up to level 75, iRating 306). I think youg et a set of 270 rating moddable gear when you start onslaught, and get some more powerful stull as you finish Onslaught, but you should always be seeking to improve your gear. Run some Veteran Mode flashpoints, complete conquest, complete dailies/weeklies, etc...you'll get drops of gear that are generally a little higher than your current iRating. Keep slotting those in, and your iRating raises.

These days. For most of the leveling game gear is meaningless (as you've been led to believe). It wasn't always so, a player needed to do the side quests and bonus series to upgrade their gear in order to face down their story bosses and keep advancing. SoV is new endgame story content, and is a little harder. Use it as an opportunity to improve your skills and your gear!

Is it just me, or is the Spirit of Vengeance's story mode too difficult for a single player to complete on their own?

Neither. It isn't just you (i.e. you're not the only one having problems), but it isn't too difficult either.

It's a good-sized step up in difficulty compared to the flashpoints before it, but as noted above, it's not as difficult as it was when it was first released.(1) Well, sort of. I find that combat in the "busy" rooms doesn't flow right any more because the fights are slightly further apart and slightly shorter, so e.g. special boosts to abilities time out, Knight/Warrior resources fade off, etc.

The key point is, as noted, to slow down and pace how you advance. Pull foes using your "throw something 30 metres" ability that all classes have, so that they aren't so close to their neighbours beyond (to avoid aggroing half the room!). Gear up, learn your abilities and the "good" way to use them, and go for it.

(1) It wasn't, in an absolute sense, too difficult even then. A fair number of people completed it during the first week it was out.

• 3 weeks later...

Spirit of Vengeance was a lot harder than it is now upon first launch. It was unplayable in Story Mode with only the gear the game gave you in Story Mode up to that point, unlike all previous mandatory Story Mode content. You'd die every other combat and would always die in the finale, every time, all the time.

They have since fixed the scenario for Story Mode, but it is still hard. It is possible to finish it in Story Mode with only the gear the game gave you up to that point, but you will still die or be near death a lot after every combat. The final Boss you'll just win. To make it easier for you upgrade your equipment at Fleet to at least 278 gear. It can be Green, just get to at least 278 for all gear parts. If you're lucky you'll get 280 or 282 gear in upgrades. Then you will not be near death after every combat.

However, it is still difficult. When ever you reach an area of lots of mobs, you will die if you draw too much aggro. You have to concentrate on small groups at a time, and avoid other mobs when you can. Do not go near them. If you like to jump as a Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior, be absolutely sure you know where you'll jump because the game has a tendency to make you jump to a mob not currently fighting you causing a gang bang and you will die. Best to never jump when in large rooms.

Kill the healers first - medics, acolytes, pilgrims. Use your stuns to put a strong guy out of commission for a bit to fight another strong guy. Kill the tentacles of the monster in the pit fast. You will die if you don't. Your Companion is not with you in that fight. If you can reach a kolto tank, great, but you'll often die before you reach it.

On the first Boss, he likes to open with his You Die power. When the fight starts the first thing you should do is MOVE, not attack. Get out of his red light of You Die power then get out of it forever when it shows up even if you must stop attacking. Second Boss fight, kill the Medics first, then the Help, then the Boss. You can get to kolto tanks if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it totally stupid they are still requiring this flash point to be completed to continue onto the new xpac. It is not enjoyable to play a 2 or 3 hour long solo flash point that I feel is way over tuned from the ones in the past to the point I do not even want to play the stupid game anymore when I get to the flash point mission. It's totally counterproductive.

You already have higher difficulty levels in the game for those who seek it without forcing a road block for those who just want to sit back and enjoy the game and progress. Again, some of us just resubbed to find out unless we complete the Spirit of Vengeance, we cannot enjoy the new xpac, and that is bull chips. I personally want my $30 refunded.

Some of us players could care about nothing being elite players of this game, could care nothing about being above average players in skill period. Since we play it solo mode, it doesn't concern anybody else how well we play the game. We spend $30 every 2 months to play the game and have every right to see the story line and content just like anyone else.

The get good mind set is what is killing games like this, the whole if, you're not good enough, then you shouldn't be playing the game or you should just get better or else. When it really doesn't affect you personally that people are just having fun in their own game play. This is what killing subs and will someday lead to the game being shut down period. Maybe then everyone will just be happy when it is gone. Then people can go find that Hardcore only players may apply here game, casual players can leave or never start to play to begin with mentality.

I paid my $30 to play 7.0, and I expect to be able to play it without having to doddle in a BS road block OT content of 6.0

...It is not enjoyable to play a 2 or 3 hour long solo flash point that I feel is way over tuned ...

Did you play this recently? They made 2 passes at it reducing the difficulty in several parts through changing mechanics, HP, number of additional mobs, how hard they hit, the composition of mobs and so on.

It certainly doesn't take 2 hours anymore. There are multiple threads with a lot of suggestions on how to tackle this FP in case you need advice.

I'd recommend having another go at it.