So... Where are the male Jedi companions?

Pricia

No one complains about them not being the same. In fact, they are all the same. 4 male force user PCs plus 4 female romanceable apprentices, 4 female force user PCs plus 4 male romanceable non force users.

Sounds the same to me.

And this is complaining they don't make the companions more the same.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why BW doesn't just make ALL available companions bisexual, and romanceable by all classes and genders.

Dialogue is recorded for eff-sake, and mostly gender-neutral exchanges.

Just patch it out and get it over with already.

Edited by Odinmo

I don't see why BW doesn't just make ALL available companions bisexual, and romanceable by all classes and genders.

That would still only leave the request here with Lord Scourge, ugly as he is and limited to Jedi Knight.

But they can't "just patch it." They would need the actors to do all the missing romance lines in the base game. So it would take quite a bit of time and money.

Still doesn't give me a romanceable male Jedi either.

But they can't "just patch it." They would need the actors to do all the missing romance lines in the base game. So it would take quite a bit of time and money.

Still doesn't give me a romanceable male Jedi either.

That or go the voice route like the conversations with the alliance commanders, but that would basically kill the entire romantic nature of the interaction.

And this is complaining they don't make the companions more the same.

I don't know where in my post you see me complaining, perhaps you should use the word less inflationarily.

And I still think having one of the female apprentices be male instead would have made things less the same.

Edited by Lichtfaengerin

lol, what?

they have dialogue for the only one of the genders, not both. They would need to record a complete new set with the other gender (female in this case).

Just be grateful that BW has swallowed the progressive line for later content and move on.

No one complains about them not being the same. In fact, they are all the same. 4 male force user PCs plus 4 female romanceable apprentices, 4 female force user PCs plus 4 male romanceable non force users.

Sounds the same to me.

The point the OP is trying to make is that the male force users have female force users to romance while the female force users do not have male force users. While there are 4 male romanceable they are not force users and some would like a male force user .

The point the OP is trying to make is that the male force users have female force users to romance while the female force users do not have male force users. While there are 4 male romanceable they are not force users and some would like a male force user .

Oh, I understood that and I can get behind it.

I would have liked one, specifically a Jedi, as well.

They were responding to SithKoriandr, who has been trying to frame this as people whining for equality.

They were responding to SithKoriandr, who has been trying to frame this as people whining for equality.

Did you even read the thread? that is exactly what they are doing.

All the complaints about sexism (both explicit and implicit)? Big difference between that and "can we have more male FU romance options please? I would enjoy that for X reasons"

Believe it or not, it's possible to have constructive discussions and get suggestions into the game without screaming sexism (or any other preferred ism, ist or phobia)

First words of the first post were "I don't want to play the sexist card but..."

Now, what do we know? That they're not going to change the original origin stories. So, no male force users to romance in the original origin story.

Now, after those stories, there appears to be TWO male force users that can be romanced with Female Jedi. Scourge and Arcann.

Let's say they open up those original companions to romance. That still just leaves Scourge for the Knight. Nothing for the other three origin stories.

I also can't say I'm keen on the idea of "Give every crew a male and female force user to romance, so people can have their force companion romance" :p Match up all the romances! Force User (M/F), Rogue/Playboy (M/F), Soldier (M/F)...these crews are getting huge...but you know...equality for all.

And yes, the idea was "Complaining that all the force users are female and thus the same" then saying they want it so all the classes have the same force users again, but male this time.

I also can't say I'm keen on the idea of "Give every crew a male and female force user to romance, so people can have their force companion romance" :p Match up all the romances! Force User (M/F), Rogue/Playboy (M/F), Soldier (M/F)...these crews are getting huge...but you know...equality for all.

And yes, the idea was "Complaining that all the force users are female and thus the same" then saying they want it so all the classes have the same force users again, but male this time.

And no one in this thread actually suggested any of that.

Ok well

1- it *is* sexist to only have male characters be able to romance their apprentices, and for all apprentices to be female. You know, I never play the sexist card actually. I just don't care if main characters are males or females... but here I'm playing females Jedi and I don't think it's fair that they can't romance a male Jedi, when you have so many female Jedi you can romance when you play a male.

2- I never asked to change the origin story because it would be impossible. But I'd really like to have some male Jedi romances in the game at some point (I'd say Arn, but considering that they boosted his influence to 25 for the flashpoints and they've never given us a companion with boosted influence, I'm not holding my breath). Maybe a good place to mention that the ONLY new Jedi we've seen that we can actually flirt with is... drum roll... a female!

3- Yes there's Arcann, and it's neat, but he's not a Jedi. And we can't even change his outfit, I mean, come on!

4- Nobody ever said they wanted "all the classes to have the same force users again but male this time" because this sentence doesn't even make sense.

Ok well

1- it *is* sexist to only have male characters be able to romance their apprentices, and for all apprentices to be female. You know, I never play the sexist card actually. I just don't care if main characters are males or females... but here I'm playing females Jedi and I don't think it's fair that they can't romance a male Jedi, when you have so many female Jedi you can romance when you play a male.

2- I never asked to change the origin story because it would be impossible. But I'd really like to have some male Jedi romances in the game at some point (I'd say Arn, but considering that they boosted his influence to 25 for the flashpoints and they've never given us a companion with boosted influence, I'm not holding my breath). Maybe a good place to mention that the ONLY new Jedi we've seen that we can actually flirt with is... drum roll... a female!

3- Yes there's Arcann, and it's neat, but he's not a Jedi. And we can't even change his outfit, I mean, come on!

4- Nobody ever said they wanted "all the classes to have the same force users again but male this time" because this sentence doesn't even make sense.

1) It's not sexist that only male characters are able to romance their apprentice. Seeing as how they don't seem to have gone, "What? Female Jedi don't get to romance a padawan." but rather, "This padawan is a female." and they didn't do the "All get to romance whoever they want."

Though, it does seem a lot of the stories were written with the class being male (even the female written smuggler story was said to have been written on the idea of it being a male character).

What I'm surprised by, a bit, is that all the classes were written with that thought.

2) Guss trained as a Jedi and people went "No!" :p

3) Not changing any companion's outfit is lame. :/ And one could say a Jedi romance him could be teaching him the Jedi ways.

4) They're asking to have /complaining about not having, the same romance choices as male PCs but as female PCs. So, it's asking for the same thing. Only difference now would be, for it to happen, it'd have to be a new NPC that everyone can romance.

Of course, there's only one female Sith one can romance. Knights get a male sith (so a male force user) they can romance with Scourge.

4) They're asking to have /complaining about not having, the same romance choices as male PCs but as female PCs. So, it's asking for the same thing. Only difference now would be, for it to happen, it'd have to be a new NPC that everyone can romance.

No. Once again, what has been pointed out is that there is not one single male Jedi Force user companion that can be romanced and even Charles has acknowledged that discrepancy.

All the complaints about sexism (both explicit and implicit)? Big difference between that and "can we have more male FU romance options please? I would enjoy that for X reasons"

Yeah, it is difficult to bring attention to an inequality without pointing out there is an inequality. So your issue is with how it was asked, and since the "ask" was not to your specification that it is wrong. Yeah, and that type of gatekeeping has been going on for centuries.

Well you can both sod off since your only rebuttals seem to be "well not everything has to be equal," and "no one wants to kiss the fish-man?," or "your phrasing does not meet with my approval." Well, we do not need your approval to point out any -ism, -ist, or -phobia. Not especially when they are made so evident as the clear male cis-het bias that is evident throughout most of the game, especially in the OC game. Even SK recognizes it.

Though, it does seem a lot of the stories were written with the class being male (even the female written smuggler story was said to have been written on the idea of it being a male character).

What I'm surprised by, a bit, is that all the classes were written with that thought.

No. Once again, what has been pointed out is that there is not one single male Jedi Force user companion that can be romanced and even Charles has acknowledged that discrepancy.

Yeah, it is difficult to bring attention to an inequality without pointing out there is an inequality. So your issue is with how it was asked, and since the "ask" was not to your specification that it is wrong. Yeah, and that type of gatekeeping has been going on for centuries.

Well you can both sod off since your only rebuttals seem to be "well not everything has to be equal," and "no one wants to kiss the fish-man?," or "your phrasing does not meet with my approval." Well, we do not need your approval to point out any -ism, -ist, or -phobia. Not especially when they are made so evident as the clear male cis-het bias that is evident throughout most of the game, especially in the OC game. Even SK recognizes it.

It wasn't gate keeping. It was more than likely not even intentional. Doubtful they sat in a room and went, "You know what? Let's not give them a male jedi to romance. It'll eat them up and who wants that anyways?"

Smuggler is Han. So they likely thought "Female Princess!" They even said the female smuggler was an afterthought.

Knight was Luke. Consular was Obi-Wan.

And the complaining would just continue when people will then go "There's 4 Female Jedi but only 1 male Jedi for 8 classes"

Doubtful it was some grand scheme to keep a male jedi romance option out of the way.

It would have been NICE if the SCOURGE romance had been available for all classes and not only the knight.

My female Juggernaut would have liked big red!

Instead she gets the choice of a betrayer, a 1 night stand with a soldier (which she doesn't get to follow up on) in vanilla, and Arcann (who again, tries to kill the PC), a pub spy (Theron is former SIS and the son of the Jedi Grandmaster for the Emperor's sake!) - she's a loyal imperial .

So, in order for our "choices" to really matter, we have to have real choices.:mad:

It would have been NICE if the SCOURGE romance had been available for all classes and not only the knight.

Instead she gets the choice of a betrayer, a 1 night stand with a soldier (which she doesn't get to follow up on) in vanilla, and Arcann (who again, tries to kill the PC), a pub spy (Theron is former SIS and the son of the Jedi Grandmaster for the Emperor's sake!) - she's a loyal imperial .

So, in order for our "choices" to really matter, we have to have real choices.:mad:

Sometimes, the choice is staying single. Though, does dating a Pub Spy keep you from being a loyal Imperial? Would it be any different than dating a Sith that betrayed the Empire to take out the Emperor?

You don't see the greatest insult to the Jedi ever in banging the son of the Grandmaster leader of the Jedi? The son she rejected, in the arms of a Sith.

You prove my point nicely.

How you ask something matters.

To use a fairly extreme case, do you think Yusra Khogali is impressing anyone but the hateful or violent?

We could also "ask" with the barrel of a gun too. History tells us how that goes yes?

Self-righteous indignation does not impress me. I have faced significant discrimination in my life and believe me, getting bent out of shape does not help.

Calm, reasoned discussion. Giving people the benefit of the doubt, not accusatory, not argumentative, not generalizing. Present your case as something that would benefit you and why. Present reasoned solutions.

That helps.

Edited by MadDutchman

I don't get why people not experiencing the problem has to try and argue that there is no problem. It's possible to care about problems not hitting 100% of the population.

I don't feel the exact same pain myself but I understand the issue. It's a virtual world, where you want to immerse yourself, so you want to have some control of things that matter to you. The 5 companions you were locked to originally, made the companions diversity too dependent on the class you were playing, and it there weren't enough slots to have alternatives of both sexes and all classes of companions, but with todays approach that tons of companions are available to all, I'm surprised there aren't more male jedi characters you can romance.

If it wasn't for the voice acting, they could have made a companion customization that changed the sex, but with the need to do the voice acting twice I guess that won't happen. That would would be a possible backwards compatible change though.

Personally, I've got more issues with not being in control of who my "closest" companions are that appear in my ships and in story bits, now that I've got 20+ companions, and the ones that are in my ship no longer matches towards who I'm actually using. And romancing one toon shouldn't remove your options towards other toons later.

Edited by Humbe

Most companions in general are male. A higher percentage of the female companions happen to be able to use the force - to me this sounds like picking nits. At any rate, it's long past the point where anything much is going to change with the original companion choices/arrangements... unless we get a new class I guess (lol). Is the problem with Arcann that he can't be customized or that he's not exclusively hetero?

Most companions in general are male. A higher percentage of the female companions happen to be able to use the force - to me this sounds like picking nits. At any rate, it's long past the point where anything much is going to change with the original companion choices/arrangements... unless we get a new class I guess (lol). Is the problem with Arcann that he can't be customized or that he's not exclusively hetero?

That he's not a JEDI. See my title.

Also, I never asked anything to change in the class stories - obviously it's impossible - but a male JEDI to be romanceable in the future would be nice.