Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why KoToR will never be remastered (but needs to be)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why KoToR will never be remastered (but needs to be)

aeterno
09.10.2021 , 12:36 PM | #11
I don't see a reason to be overly pessimistic about the poor quality of a grounds-up remake based on remasters that are by nature technically limited.

Plus LA & Disney have a large vested interest in tapping into the era of the Old Republic.... and the thing did just get the n1 slot with a CGI teaser as a PS5 exclusive on their show. They're clearly not planning to half toosh this one over the line Blizzard style.

And Aspyr was/is hiring RPG designers with Unreal Engine (preferably UE4+) so it looks like they're going for the tried and tested under the hood.

Ain't no stopping this hype train

ashelois
09.10.2021 , 03:02 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
I don't see a reason to be overly pessimistic about the poor quality of a grounds-up remake based on remasters that are by nature technically limited.

Plus LA & Disney have a large vested interest in tapping into the era of the Old Republic.... and the thing did just get the n1 slot with a CGI teaser as a PS5 exclusive on their show. They're clearly not planning to half toosh this one over the line Blizzard style.

And Aspyr was/is hiring RPG designers with Unreal Engine (preferably UE4+) so it looks like they're going for the tried and tested under the hood.

Ain't no stopping this hype train
This.

It's got the big Lucasfilm logo and the original reason for TOR stories was a lot more freedom with events. Same as High Republic era although High Republic is much more extreme as its buildin from ground up almost.

That said, it would not be difficult at all to make the remake canon with the few small tweaks here and there that will come with a remake.

I personally would love if they canonised Revan as genderless. Keep the basic gameplay mechanics but have it be once they got their memory back and 'became Revan' again that their gender was lost to the ages. Somethin about someone who was light and dark and of unknown gender would be really cool.

Revan will always be female to me as 'she' is to many others who played Revan as a woman on their playthrough.

Nihaelis
09.13.2021 , 12:09 PM | #13
Disney SW's Rise of Skywalker already acknowledged a Sith Lord named Revan existed at some point in the past. I'd like them to just go ahead and acknowledge all of KOTOR. This remake is a perfect opportunity for them to bring in TOR from Legends to Canon in a way that would not negatively impact any of their current storylines, and possibly enhance future ones.

YaanaOhtar
09.24.2021 , 08:10 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ashelois View Post
This.

It's got the big Lucasfilm logo and the original reason for TOR stories was a lot more freedom with events. Same as High Republic era although High Republic is much more extreme as its buildin from ground up almost.

That said, it would not be difficult at all to make the remake canon with the few small tweaks here and there that will come with a remake.

I personally would love if they canonised Revan as genderless. Keep the basic gameplay mechanics but have it be once they got their memory back and 'became Revan' again that their gender was lost to the ages. Somethin about someone who was light and dark and of unknown gender would be really cool.

Revan will always be female to me as 'she' is to many others who played Revan as a woman on their playthrough.
I understand your point, and though i agree with the idea of keep the sex of Revan lost to the ages, I am afraid Disney will do something really really idiotic with that idea.........

Eotienses
09.29.2021 , 11:45 PM | #15
Apparently they've hired a woman who has a track record of making man-hating femi-nazi comments online...not only that, she doesn't like KOTOR.

This game is dead on arrival, especially since its a REMAKE not a remaster...that means an entirely new story from the woketivists PC perspective.

For god sake is there ANYWHERE we can go to escape this nonsense?!?!

Nihaelis
09.30.2021 , 09:51 AM | #16
Kathleen Kennedy?

Dethstrow
09.30.2021 , 07:32 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Eotienses View Post
Apparently they've hired a woman who has a track record of making man-hating femi-nazi comments online...not only that, she doesn't like KOTOR.

This game is dead on arrival, especially since its a REMAKE not a remaster...that means an entirely new story from the woketivists PC perspective.

For god sake is there ANYWHERE we can go to escape this nonsense?!?!
So yes while it is true that that woman is part of the team, she is not the lead writer. the lead writer has said that they will be staying faithful to the original story with a few minor changes. Whether or not that is true is left to be seen. Also being a remake means a full overhaul of mechanics and graphics. A remaster would just update the graphics and there are plenty of mods that one can get for that.

Toraak
09.30.2021 , 09:36 PM | #18
Hopefully they don't change the mechanics. One of the things I loved about Kotor is the turn based combat.

Nihaelis
10.01.2021 , 07:40 AM | #19
I am 90% sure it won't be turn based. It may have a turn base option, but I would be highly surprised if it was turn based only.

Mephesh
10.01.2021 , 11:34 AM | #20
Pro:
Maybe they fix some bugs, add new dialogues/partner options, generally add more content for certain characters without falsifying their story.

Con:
1) I got no trust in the current game industry when it comes to "remastering" old games (Warcraft3 Reforged, etc.)

2) our good old legacy content does NOT need the attention of the retarded star wars "Mainstream" people!