Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

WhoTookMyName
03.08.2012 , 11:01 AM | #291
Quote: Originally Posted by iResist View Post
Thank god for no combat macros. Love you Bioware!
They didn't say no combat macros...they said no Macros.

I just want to be able to use macro's for RP. I wish it was just a combat thing.
I like Star Wars!

UltimateKrucible
03.08.2012 , 11:12 AM | #292
Quote: Originally Posted by darkrazzy View Post
all i want is to be able to make a "INC LEFT" "INC RIGHT" or "INC MID" macro so i dont have to type mid combat on alderaan. is that so much to ask???? >.<
/signed

'injcf lfte' ......

That's me trying to call for help while fighting off a marauder and a sorc last night. I hope to god people knew what I meant.

islander
03.08.2012 , 12:21 PM | #293
Quote: Originally Posted by GongStar View Post
I played with macros for the first time in Rift and all I can say is it's absolutely ****ed up.
I had a warrior and I had 2 attack keys. *troll face*
Anyone supporting macros is a massive game killing noob.
yep

SW:TOR = real gaming. much higher skill cap needed then lolRift
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

ferroz
03.08.2012 , 12:31 PM | #294
Quote: Originally Posted by GongStar View Post
Anyone supporting macros is a massive game killing noob.
Well, the dev's support them... so evidentally you're calling them "massive game killing noobs" eh?

Personally, I like the way that WoW does macros the best of any games that I've played. You can't group things together that are on the GCD; you can pair up 1 things that's on the GCD with any number of things that aren't (non-gcd abilities, text, emotes, etc).

But you can't do anything that's automation, or multiple skills that take priority based on cooldown.

Spoiler

Entropicus
03.08.2012 , 02:11 PM | #295
There is a balance. I agree WoW had an awesome setup. Though even playing a Druid I didn't need more than 2 bars of hotkeys for combat. Granted they also had 3rd party Addons which really made the game so much more diverse to be able to create a personal UI.
I'd love to see macros and Addons, just not SWG level macros where I could literally AFK buff and farm.
There has to be a happy medium.
When I run, I am running as if I am running towards someone attacking my family. When I lift, I am lifting the weight that is about to crush my child. Every workout you do is preparation for a time where it really matters. If you do not train like someone's life depends on you, what will you do when one does?

cipher_nemo
03.08.2012 , 02:18 PM | #296
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
B) I am opposed to macros that automate combat (shouldn't be a surprise). I'd rather take tedious things (such as sprint turning off after death) and modify the design than to rely on people to create macros to deal with these things - which creates unnecessary barriers of entry in my opinion.
Then let's add shields (force armor, force stasis, etc.) to that list. Putting a shield on members of an ops is tedious and takes a series of key presses over time. Let's change these shields to target the entire group. The force cost and induction/cooldown could be dynamically changed on the fly depending upon how many group members there are, from just the player and their companion to an entire 16-man ops. I use my own macros to shield my group before battle.

D) Macros for social behaviors, etc are definitely a possibility too.
Nice. This is what I have been really pushing for in macros: emotes, chat message, and /slash commands. Mapping something entered at the chat window into a quickbar slot. Some might play the devil's advocate and scream foul with worries of credit farmers spamming chat with them, but they already have the ability to do their with their own macro software.

Urkanan
03.08.2012 , 02:45 PM | #297

[...]

B) I am opposed to macros that automate combat (shouldn't be a surprise). I'd rather take tedious things (such as sprint turning off after death) and modify the design than to rely on people to create macros to deal with these things - which creates unnecessary barriers of entry in my opinion.
I am very curious about what falls into "automating combat" Mr. Zoeller!

In all honesty I think You-Know-Who got it rather right with macros, and I'd love somthing simmilar here.

As long as you do not let macros "do logic" (check for whether a buff is present, checking for cooldowns, etc.), it is rather hard to really automate combat. Integrating off-the-GCD abilities with regulars in a single button-press is the only one we could do, you know... "there", that I can think off as combat automating.

Being able to use modifier keys (alt/ctrl) and modifier statuses (combat/out of combat) to save actionbar space would be awesome tho. Fingers crossed for stuff like that.

Dayln
03.08.2012 , 02:47 PM | #298
I hope it remains no

The game is easy enough, no need to nerf it
I have a bad feeling about this

Blotter
03.08.2012 , 02:48 PM | #299
Quote: Originally Posted by UltimateKrucible View Post
/signed

'injcf lfte' ......

That's me trying to call for help while fighting off a marauder and a sorc last night. I hope to god people knew what I meant.
Funny thing, I bet you they did (but no, we can't atke whether they responded accordingly as evidence one way or the other given the randomness of whether people have a clue how to pvp or not). I would've been able to figure it pretty easily at least. After all, "incoming west" is clearly "injcf wrfq".
Captain Bubblevendor Targetdummy reporting for doody.

GreymaneAlpha
03.08.2012 , 02:49 PM | #300
If you're invoking the Guild Summit, let's be a bit more precise about what we've said:

A) Macros are a possibility in the future. We don't hate them.

C) We don't consider interface improvements and quality of life features (e.g. mouse over healing) to be macros (so 2 does not apply)

D) Macros for social behaviors, etc are definitely a possibility too.
Do you consider [harm] vs [help] macros things to be something that "automates combat"?

What about [@targettarget] macros (to, for example, make Guard faster to use)?