Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cipher_nemo
03.07.2012 , 12:21 PM | #271
Quote: Originally Posted by Khryn View Post
This game isn't that hard. Why simplify it more?

I used macros in WoW though.. Did make life a lot easier. But I'm not struggling by any means without them.
It's not a matter of "hard". It's a matter of convenience and enjoyment. Unless you enjoy mashing the same key sequence over and over again? I certainly don't derive any pleasure from that. I already roll my own macros, but I support the casual players getting a chance to experience a smoother gameplay experience.

Thorkir
03.07.2012 , 12:24 PM | #272
Quote: Originally Posted by GreymaneAlpha View Post
It's extremely depressing that they won't allow macros in this game. It's an easy excuse for them to not do any extra work, and for them to continue to make the game "Hard" via "players fight the UI" instead of difficult via "players fight each other, or fight the scripted encounters".

It's transparent and pathetic.
This is my opinion, more or less.

Also, Warzones are artificially harder than they need to be because of the UI being so unsuitable for healers.
"All will be well."

Entropicus
03.07.2012 , 01:08 PM | #273
Quote: Originally Posted by KahnyaGnorc View Post
-Combat macros makes combat easier
-When one group has easier combat and another doesn't (macro-users vs. non-macro-users), balancing content to work with both groups becomes impossible.

Hot keying makes combat easier
Mouse turning makes combat easier

Yet people still click and keyboard turn, it's not like everyone can't do it. Some just refuse to adapt. And end up sucking at the game. Has nothing to do with balance.
When I run, I am running as if I am running towards someone attacking my family. When I lift, I am lifting the weight that is about to crush my child. Every workout you do is preparation for a time where it really matters. If you do not train like someone's life depends on you, what will you do when one does?

Voqar
03.07.2012 , 01:22 PM | #274
Quote: Originally Posted by Badlander View Post
It was pretty much said that there will be no macros anytime soon if ever at the guild summit. It seems part of the Dev team hates macros and does not want them in game.

But, they did say there will be some things in game that will help healers and such. What that means who knows they did not explain it very well.
Which i think this is a good thing.
I've been saying for some time now that nobody from BioWare has ever played an MMORPG before. Blindly saying you hate macros (addons/target of target/combat log/any typical feature of a quality MMORPG) pretty much proves it.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with hate. It more likely has to do with using a 3rd party engine, its limitations, and the fact that BioWare lives in a vacuum where they ignore any and all progress in MMORPG history, impliment all features like it's 10 years ago, insist on encountering the same mistakes many other games have made and grown away from, do not impliment basic features found in amost all other MMORPGs (target of target, combat log, readycheck, basic/simple macro support), and live in a vacuum where they are right and the rest of the MMORPG genre, including games vastly more succesful than they'll ever be, are wrong.
Failure to enforce the naming policy on RP servers is one reason I'm semi-retired from TOR. It's a sign that BW doesn't care about quality.

Icebaron
03.07.2012 , 01:26 PM | #275
not having macros is just dumb and bioware is dumb for not implementing them.

But, to be fair, I don't think it is Biowares active choice to leave macros out. I am starting to think they are unable to do it. Maybe there is something in the Hero Engine or their ported version of it that would make macros too hard to implement.

Maybe it has something to do with client side and server side commands, related to combat delays and the like.

Kroolster
03.07.2012 , 02:22 PM | #276
Hello all. First time poster here but this subject compelled me to try and contribute.

As a WoW player I use many macros and i think the misconception on here is that macros are just to make things easier, or for lazy people, however i've always used them for efficency/speed.
To the people who's argument is that macros in swtor would just promote cast sequence macros for dps I completely agree with you, however i've always seen this as a problem with class design rather than macros themselves. If a class can do adequate dps with the use of 1 or 2 macros than it's definitely a bad thing, if a class does it's optimum dps with the same then it's just plain bad design imo.

My macros in wow mostly consist of harm/no harm spells (casting an offensive spell if my target is enemy and a healing spell if my target is friendly), assist macros (casting a spell on the target of my target) and the usual cast tricks of the trade/dispell/other random spell @character name/party1 etc.
None of these are about being lazy or making things too easy, theyre about efficency. Maximising my use of keybinds, minimising the need for target changes and such and what I feel is playing my character to it's potential.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Bioware classes as "non-combat" macros.

Anyways sorry for the slight wall of text just wanted to get a point across on macros being so much more than mindless dps spam buttons.

GongStar
03.07.2012 , 02:45 PM | #277
I played with macros for the first time in Rift and all I can say is it's absolutely ****ed up.
I had a warrior and I had 2 attack keys. *troll face*
Anyone supporting macros is a massive game killing noob.
-|[Intrepid] - [Peragus Mining Facility]|- R.I.P.

Kroolster
03.07.2012 , 03:05 PM | #278
"Anyone supporting macros is a massive game killing noob"

So you used 1 type of macro in 1 mmo and that's your basis to summarise the whole playerbase? Right....I'm guessing you're one of those "Clicking is fine because it always worked for me" type players.

Dmnqwk
03.07.2012 , 03:06 PM | #279
Macros - I've seen a lot of players proclaim macros are bad lol I don't use them.
Those players may choose not to use them, they might be simple melee or ranged dps classes who have 6 buttons they use.

Good for them!

Right now I have 1-6, RTY, FG, V, Alt F1-2, Alt QWE, Mouse button 3 and 5 (since 4 is autorun)

And it's not enough. Due to mild arthritis I really cannot reach a modifier key excluding ALT... due to bioware being incompetant and not letting me keybind ` (beside the 1 key) thanks to their inability to realise they are working outside the us and *shock horror* not allow every key to be bound on international keyboards... I dont have enough keys.

In wow, playing a feral druid means I need more than just the action bar which changes with bear and cat for abilties, and without macros I simply couldnt keybind it all.

In tor, I'd love to be able to put my heals in a healbot style frame so my keys are free to dps with instead of having to resort to clicking some abilties or attempting to reach F5-F8.

Macros are not a crutch, they are for those who play more than a 2 button marauder and need access to more.

Macros are not there to make combat sequences for 1 button rotations... they are there for the players who need more keys because they have classes with utility play, or cooldowns, or heals AND pew pew buttons.

I can fully believe players are under the impression macros are a crutch.... but i'd like to see those same players manage on being forced to click every skill and keyboard turn only (which is the EXACT same balance issue bioware face).

Frostvein
03.07.2012 , 03:10 PM | #280
Quote: Originally Posted by GongStar View Post
I played with macros for the first time in Rift and all I can say is it's absolutely ****ed up.
I had a warrior and I had 2 attack keys. *troll face*
Anyone supporting macros is a massive game killing noob.
So because one game you played in had a ****** macro system, all games have to have ****** macro systems?
Meanwhile, in Tera general chat -

"The sad thing is, arguing with fanbois on the forums was more entertaining than their 300 million dollar single player MMO from 2008"