Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Orizuru
03.07.2012 , 10:35 AM | #261
Quote: Originally Posted by iceperson View Post
they said no combat macros, not "no macros". i imagine we'll eventually see macros for emotes, readycheck, /say, etc... eventually
That isn't really a macro. What you are describing is just a script or slash command. A macro is a button you can add to your tool bars that executes a script or slash command.

I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, but there is a distinction that should be noted.

Ossos
03.07.2012 , 10:35 AM | #262
I had a Macro'd response to this but...well...
Preventing Hackers and Exploiters from ruining the game is not a priority. Preventing you from mentioning the fact that they exist and go unpunished is.

JustCuz
03.07.2012 , 10:35 AM | #263
Quote: Originally Posted by Drake_Hound View Post
LOL go do something usefull will you go play my little pony or something else .
That is made for babies , you know and avoid those baby toys who even have more then 8 buttons to press.

Cause it is too complicated for you .

Gee talk about a admiting lazyness ..
This is the reason that bioware doesn´t want macro .
So you want a game with 30 buttons /choices + but able to be compressed into 8 buttons.
Talk about being a hypocrite . go play MOP or other simple games .

Sorry or learn to keybind , priortise and most important adapt by playing a game.
If your memory fails you to press more then 8 buttons , I do not want to know .
How you can even use a keyboard , it has over 100 buttons .
Macros ARE in. Just not for everyone.

Dayln
03.07.2012 , 10:40 AM | #264
They need to build a nerf server with macros and dps meters and such for people that are MMO impaired that need them to be able to be successful
I have a bad feeling about this

Kaedian
03.07.2012 , 10:44 AM | #265
Quote: Originally Posted by iResist View Post
Thank god for no combat macros. Love you Bioware!
Agreed. Combat Macros are for the lazy.
Z'uul Diabolus - Rattaki Assassin
Centurion - Legion of Shadows
Canderous Ordo

Vedano
03.07.2012 , 10:44 AM | #266
I have 34 different keybinds for things i use in this game be it abilities, use items, what have you. 34.... combat macros would decrease this number by almost half. Its ridiculous to have to bind so many things that you use and not be able to combine any of them. And yes, I use all 34 buttons, some more than others, but I do none the less.

goulet
03.07.2012 , 10:45 AM | #267
no in game macros but you can have:
17 macros from your mouse
20 macros from your keyboard

don't get me wrong im far from the biggest fan of macros, but the rationality behind not having them does seem a little screwey.

all that being said having 4 completely filled bars of frequently used abilities is getting old.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to type on your keyboard and remove all doubt."

TheOnlyKyrenS
03.07.2012 , 10:46 AM | #268
i agree with bio not adding marcos into this game. i don't want a "press 1 to win" button in this game. The only game i used macros for was MapleStory and you can only add 3 skills per macro and that was for my huge amount of buffs. (noting, i don't play that game anymore)
Quote: Originally Posted by corbanite View Post
oh great more constructive criticism.. god knows why some people think there are haters on this forum

Orizuru
03.07.2012 , 10:51 AM | #269
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedian View Post
Agreed. Combat Macros are for the lazy.
That statement isn't necessarily true. Nor is it constructive. It's just an accusatory opinion that isn't helping the discussion.

There are some cases where macros help make a game more playable. For instance in WoW druids desperately need macros in order to keep their tool bars manageable. Druids are shapeshifters in WoW and their toolbars need to be flexible depending on which form they are currently using. Only one of the toolbars changes automatically when the druid shapeshifts, so buttons on other toolbars need macros to be useful. Otherwise you end up with 60 plus buttons across multiple toolbars and two thirds of them are only usable when in a specific form. Druids can use a macro that evaluates which form they are shifted into when the button is pressed to allow one button to perform multiple roles dependent upon the druid's form. This drastically reduces clutter on toolbars and the number of necessary keybinds to play effectively.

Now, that is why WoW needs macros. SWTOR doesn't really have anything like this at the moment, so I agree that we do not necessarily need macros at this time. However, that doesn't mean that anyone who uses macros is lazy. If you would like to argue against macros being implemented please do so, but do so in a constructive manner that explains why you feel this way without having to making broad over-generalizations that are simply false statements meant to incise the community members who disagree with you.

Percy
03.07.2012 , 12:10 PM | #270
Some skills are just there adding bloat to the bars if they are not going to add macros they need to start combining abilities to get rid of the skill bloat. Hitting more buttons does not make the game harder in a fun way.

If the argument against macros is going to be it makes people lazy or makes the game harder then they can just make nightmare mode raids where you get 50 extra abilities you need to use and have to bind them all.

Better yet lets get rid of keybinds while we are at it and make everyone have to click every ability from the bar. This makes sense because a more complicated and harder to interface with game equals a better game right?
Vicious: You should see yourself. Do you have any idea what you look like at this moment Spike: What? Vicious: A ravenous beast. The same blood runs through both of us. The blood of a beast who wanders, hunting for the blood of others. Spike: I've bled all that kind of blood away. Vicious: THEN WHY ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?