Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

need to post a official sticky about this or a post

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
need to post a official sticky about this or a post

Quinlynn
03.08.2012 , 02:36 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by EternalFinality View Post
That's also true. But a significant component of world PvP is world PvP that occurs during the leveling process. In TOR there is none.
I disagree with this assessment.

I PVP'd while leveling up on Alderaan for a long time. I found the zones where IMPs had their quests and would hang their to fight people.

Roaming around Alderaaan between Reble and Imp zones I found several fights.

At level 50 I forage on Ilum and run into imps every time I do it.

Like everything else, it's up to the player to make the game work.

This is not to say I disagree with BW / EA being inept at making a MMO. To the contrary I think they failed big time to meet the expectations they established. I think they flat out lied actually.

Thier choice of engine for the game was a fatal misstake.

EternalFinality
03.08.2012 , 02:39 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Quinlynn View Post
I disagree with this assessment.

I PVP'd while leveling up on Alderaan for a long time. I found the zones where IMPs had their quests and would hang their to fight people.

Roaming around Alderaaan between Reble and Imp zones I found several fights.

At level 50 I forage on Ilum and run into imps every time I do it.

Like everything else, it's up to the player to make the game work.

This is not to say I disagree with BW / EA being inept at making a MMO. To the contrary I think they failed big time to meet the expectations they established. I think they flat out lied actually.

Thier choice of engine for the game was a fatal misstake.
You're saying that you literally went out of your way to find Imperials. To that I say - exactly. The zones are NOT designed for world PvP. They keep both factions segregated on their own sides of the planet and never mix them by making them go into common areas for quests.

Except for Ilum. But again, you can't slap world PvP on at the end, which is exactly what they did.

RobNightfall
03.08.2012 , 02:41 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Tooslick View Post
There is no fix because the game engine simply can't handle it. 40v40 is never going to happen in this game. Get over it.

World PvP is for bads who need a zerg behind them in order to win.
The fact that someone thinks they are a PvPer and they then post a comment like this is sad. You want to see real skill, try finding your place in a fight with that many people. It's only about a zerg if one side has overwhelming numbers. In an even fight, it's about which team works better together first and then which players are better second. They both matter, because if you don't know your job and can't play then your contribution to the team is weak or even damaging, but contributing to the team is the primary concern. It's a closer simulation to an actual battle on a battle field, and you have such a total lack of knowledge or skill at doing it that you think it's easier than a war zone.
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.

Knockerz
03.08.2012 , 02:45 PM | #24
Ilum needs to be an instance and be cross-server. They also need to make it so that teams are nearly equal or at very least balance enough that the slight number advantage to one side plays little effect on the battlefield. It would work really well then and function like a world pvp in that you can join when ever and be going on all time. In this state, ilum would be like old school av.
Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc

anticept
03.08.2012 , 02:50 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MPagano View Post
Before WoW, DAoC had mastered the open world pvp format for MMO RPGs. It still stands as one of the best designed games to this end. Warhammer tried to achieve this but failed. GW2 is currently in development and is the most promising game to recreate the DAoC experience in today's MMO world.

If you played DAoC extensively, you would understand why some of us are always hopeful to discover the next big thing. I'm not saying everyone should love it, but for those of us who do, there's no substitue. It's simply the best.
If DAoC was so good at pvp why did it "fail" then (never played the game so i don´t know)?

But could it be that most people who play mmo´s are pve players that do few BGs/WZs now and then and basicly suck at any form of pvp be it 1v1 random encounter during leveling or RvR or WZs/BGs. What people should understand is that pvp is never the top priority of gaming companies that want to publish an POPULAR mmo pvp community is about the size of 20-30% of the total player pool if even that.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Karsk View Post
This has nothing to do with what server it is.This bug is on all servers.

TUXs
03.08.2012 , 02:51 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by hargrave View Post
it worked decently in lotro but the problem thier was you had biased devs and lack of development into the zone. It can work and yes thier will always be zergs just need to be able to capture bases from the inside and hold it. If they had pvp bases elsewhere on other planets it would thin out the fights
Lotro's biggest problem was the lack of TRUE PvP - I hope no games ever follow the PvM model.

What I feel lotro did well, that made 'zone' PvP work, was balance out the distances needed to travel with the amount of places players had the ability to "take over", the mix of PvE when things were dead, the outnumbered buff, the XP buff for holding keeps, the strength and number of NPCs - friendly, neutral and enemy - as a way to bring at least some balance where none ever was. Even if you were alone, there was 'something' you could do.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

SWImara
03.08.2012 , 02:58 PM | #27
@OP: This is certainly good to see, I was totally of the mind that Ilum was being junked. Thanks.

The original implementation was bad true, but incentivizing something that not everyone actually wants to do is a sure way to lead to all of the crap behavior we saw throughout 1.1. I enjoy open world PvP even if it is rarely done well in RvR games (rather than RvRvR or FFA games) but I think that making it the best way to gain /anything/ is a bad idea. If people don't want to do open world PvP, there's no reason to push them to do it.

Evuke
03.08.2012 , 03:18 PM | #28
ilum isn't and never was open world pvp, it was just a really really terrible 40 vs 40 wz, that usually was 40 vs 7.

i don't care in the slightest that it's being slowly phased out

OGsam
03.08.2012 , 03:20 PM | #29
I hope they delete Ilum, generations of SWTOR players to come should only think of it as an EA/BW conspiracy.
Staunchy - GM of <Toxic>
Harbinger

Talizzar
03.08.2012 , 03:41 PM | #30
I know I am not in the majority but I would rather spend a few hours on Ilum chasing groups and fighting in the open field over fighting in the same Huttball box all day long. Ilum with a mix of wz's tossed in was good for me. Running around picking up crates makes me ill.

Ilum sucked for many but for me the FPS was fine. There is no purpose behind it other to fill a daily and now that is gone so are most of the gear grinders.

RVR can be very fun if done well. I wish I had played DAOC so I could understand why so many liked it. The part that many have asked is why did it fail as I rarely hear people say that it was awful.