Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

need to post a official sticky about this or a post

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
need to post a official sticky about this or a post

caveslug
03.08.2012 , 01:09 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by EternalFinality View Post
Of course world PvP is being thrown out - nothing about the game was designed with world PvP in mind.

Or that World PvP almost never ever works in a MMO.

I never understand why people get so hot and bothered about PVP server or open world PVP in general. There are few to any good fights, most consist of zergs.

Even WoW tried this with there Wintergrasp, which had a lame version of bolster. In the end they changed it so you could only have so many people in the zone when it was ready to flip. Before that who ever had the zerg faction controlled it 90% of the time.
#1 reply to all PvP threads.....L2P

EternalFinality
03.08.2012 , 01:12 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by caveslug View Post

I never understand why people get so hot and bothered about PVP server or open world PVP in general. There are few to any good fights, most consist of zergs.

Even WoW tried this with there Wintergrasp, which had a lame version of bolster. In the end they changed it so you could only have so many people in the zone when it was ready to flip. Before that who ever had the zerg faction controlled it 90% of the time.
WoW had Stranglethorn Vale and the area outside UBRS as hot world PvP zones. They worked wonderfully.

You cannot "create" world PvP. You simply need to design your zones properly and let the players encounter each other. World PvP must be PLAYER driven, not occur in designated zones.

hargrave
03.08.2012 , 01:15 PM | #13
it worked decently in lotro but the problem thier was you had biased devs and lack of development into the zone. It can work and yes thier will always be zergs just need to be able to capture bases from the inside and hold it. If they had pvp bases elsewhere on other planets it would thin out the fights

Celebrus
03.08.2012 , 01:16 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by EternalFinality View Post
Of course world PvP is being thrown out - nothing about the game was designed with world PvP in mind.
The game wasn't designed with anything after the end of your class story in mind.

Had to fix that for you.

EternalFinality
03.08.2012 , 01:20 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Celebrus View Post
The game wasn't designed with anything after the end of your class story in mind.

Had to fix that for you.
That's also true. But a significant component of world PvP is world PvP that occurs during the leveling process. In TOR there is none.

Tooslick
03.08.2012 , 01:48 PM | #16
There is no fix because the game engine simply can't handle it. 40v40 is never going to happen in this game. Get over it.

World PvP is for bads who need a zerg behind them in order to win.

MPagano
03.08.2012 , 01:55 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by caveslug View Post

Before WoW, DAoC had mastered the open world pvp format for MMO RPGs. It still stands as one of the best designed games to this end. Warhammer tried to achieve this but failed. GW2 is currently in development and is the most promising game to recreate the DAoC experience in today's MMO world.

If you played DAoC extensively, you would understand why some of us are always hopeful to discover the next big thing. I'm not saying everyone should love it, but for those of us who do, there's no substitue. It's simply the best.

MPagano
03.08.2012 , 01:57 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Tooslick View Post
There is no fix because the game engine simply can't handle it. 40v40 is never going to happen in this game. Get over it.

World PvP is for bads who need a zerg behind them in order to win.
Well-designed world pvp wouldn't allow for situations where zergs can occur. World PvP is for players who enjoy the challenge and rewards of executing complex strategies with and against a large number of players. It's like an RTS where each unit is individually controlled.

This is not WoW or TOR world pvp. That's arcade pvp.

Pedra
03.08.2012 , 02:17 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by MPagano View Post
Before WoW, DAoC had mastered the open world pvp format for MMO RPGs. It still stands as one of the best designed games to this end. Warhammer tried to achieve this but failed. GW2 is currently in development and is the most promising game to recreate the DAoC experience in today's MMO world.

If you played DAoC extensively, you would understand why some of us are always hopeful to discover the next big thing. I'm not saying everyone should love it, but for those of us who do, there's no substitue. It's simply the best.
I really enjoyed DAoC PvP (or RvR there). It allowed for huge army on army fights but also small encounters, both group and solo.

And while I understand the game didn't appeal to everyone, I also enjoyed ShadowBane. I thought that open world, get ganked anywhere environement there was good too. And this from a player that was 90% solo through the leveling process.

rodgambit
03.08.2012 , 02:28 PM | #20
I prefer open world pvp and Ilum over warzones. I just find it more dynamic. It is hardly perfect, but running wz's over and over just becomes boring for me and it feels too scripted.

I know that if they removed open world pvp and left only wz's as a viable option that I would unsubscribe. The game wouldn't hold much interest for me at that point. Hopefully, they will do more to bolster it though.
CE VIP