I don't understand how Loadouts is an improvement.

Baletraeger

This just seems like its going to make precombat in the game exceedingly tedious.

For every given combat situation I am going to be swapping loadouts depending on whether it is trash mobs or bosses?

Depending on what warzone I load into I will have to swap loadouts, maybe even midmatch if I have to switch objectives (fighting mid vs capturing a node in hypergate)?

This is stupid. I want all my available class abilities to be available for me to choose which I want to use for any given situation.

If you need to prune abilities, then do that. Figure out stuff that is not really needed and consolidate the rest.

This just seems like its going to make precombat in the game exceedingly tedious.

For every given combat situation I am going to be swapping loadouts depending on whether it is trash mobs or bosses?

Depending on what warzone I load into I will have to swap loadouts, maybe even midmatch if I have to switch objectives (fighting mid vs capturing a node in hypergate)?

This is stupid. I want all my available class abilities to be available for me to choose which I want to use for any given situation.

If you need to prune abilities, then do that. Figure out stuff that is not really needed and consolidate the rest.

To the bolded you can't really respec during warzones so unless they change that for loadouts that is out of the question too.

Probably not. Do you feel compelled to switch between each combat situation now? If so, why do you think it matters except in a very few ticklish situaitons like "oh, look, the tank DC'ed, I'll respec tanks and you pull out a DPS companion".

Speaking as someone who pretty much just does solo pve now, I'm probably going to have 3-4 loadouts for each alt. They will all keep what I can patch together of their current disciplines. Healers and tanks will get a dd loadout. Non-stealthers will get a stealth loadout. Dd and tanks will get a healing loadout. Healers and dd will get a tank loadout. And everyone will continue suffering by sharing the same, unoptimized gear. I'll wait a bit for the theory crafters to work their magic before I mess with any of it.

EA/Bioware is banking on the idea that it'll take a couple of weeks for new players to learn how boring/tedious their characters abilities are, and how switching classes or loadouts doesn't really help. They're hoping that the story will distract from the simplistic gameplay.

By then, they've subbed and bought an outfit or two from the cartel market. By dumbing down the game, they're casting a wider net that'll maybe catch them some bigger fish, and a whale here and there.

That's the improvement.

Edited by Severith

You should already be doing that with utilities, if you cared to optimize that much. The improvement is that it should be easier to pick 1 of 3, 8 times than 3 of 8, 3 times. And hopefully you can just change your choice at each tier individually, instead of having to redo everything anytime you want to change anything like with current utilities.

I mean it's basically the system they have in wow and I think it's much more convenient than the swtor utilities. Utilities were more convenient than the skill trees we had before but it's not very practical to have to redo everything anytime you change discipline or any utility.

You should already be doing that with utilities, if you cared to optimize that much. The improvement is that it should be easier to pick 1 of 3, 8 times than 3 of 8, 3 times. And hopefully you can just change your choice at each tier individually, instead of having to redo everything anytime you want to change anything like with current utilities.

I mean it's basically the system they have in wow and I think it's much more convenient than the swtor utilities. Utilities were more convenient than the skill trees we had before but it's not very practical to have to redo everything anytime you change discipline or any utility.

Will loadouts include gear too? Because if i wanna spec out of the force clarity or whatever for a defensive cd but i have descent of the fearless, that set then is useless for example. And if i have to carry verious sets of gear around then that is 100 per cent more annoying and cumbersome than utilities ever were.

Edited by TevosisHot

EA/Bioware is banking on the idea that it'll take a couple of weeks for new players to learn how boring/tedious their characters abilities are, and how switching classes or loadouts doesn't really help. They're hoping that the story will distract from the simplistic gameplay.

By then, they've subbed and bought an outfit or two from the cartel market. By dumbing down the game, they're casting a wider net that'll maybe catch them some bigger fish, and a whale here and there.

That's the improvement.

The sad part is that you're probably 100% spot on how these monetizatio... I mean "design" meetings went down... Edited by Pietrastor

I mean, the ability to save several sets of choices and swap between them with some ease is going to be essential if we have to make a choice between three things every five levels. So, yeah, the loadout system seems to be pretty essential, given the direction the Devs are going.

Your deeper point/complaint of course, that we may be swapping loadouts between every operation boss, is a valid one. If this swapping will be as seamless as changing Outfits, then I think it will be ok. I'll need a way to name the loadouts so that I can easily find my, say, "mobility" loadout when I need it or my "AoE" loadout or "regs PVP" or whatever. 1-15 is going to stink ... "Did I put my Underluker loadout in slot 13 or 7?"

Edited by phalczen

You should already be doing that with utilities, if you cared to optimize that much.

This literally isn't even true. Individual Ops are the only times you do this, and usually you just have a set for the entire Op, not individual pulls. PVP and non-Ops PVE have almost completely uniform optimal utility builds for every class.

I thought that was the point of tacticals. Swapping between 'aoe tactical' or 'single target', or the like. One click and done, which is even simpler and faster than messing with utilties. 'Use X for boss fights. Use Z for mob fights'.

... loadouts and the multiple choice between key abilities looks more complicated, more fiddly, and less casual-friendly than what we have currently. Since it won't be as simple as 'one pvp loadout, one aoe loadout, one boss loadout'. You will need different loadouts for different bosses.

I regularly swap between specs on live and that's less annoying than what loadouts are shaping up to be.

I really hope something changes drastically with one of the future PTS stages to make 7.0 look more enticing to me than it does now.

Will loadouts include gear too? Because if i wanna spec out of the force clarity or whatever for a defensive cd but i have descent of the fearless, that set then is useless for example. And if i have to carry verious sets of gear around then that is 100 per cent more annoying and cumbersome than utilities ever were.

They said (in the Livestream) that Loadouts will include gear and Outfits.

This literally isn't even true. Individual Ops are the only times you do this, and usually you just have a set for the entire Op, not individual pulls. PVP and non-Ops PVE have almost completely uniform optimal utility builds for every class.

And from the looks of it, there will still be an optimal set of choices for non-OPS pve. As for operations and utilities, that is absolutely not true. There are plenty of fights that require specific utilities that you don't want to spec into for other fights. Think of Electric Bindings for Brontes and Styrak, self cleanses which are sometimes needed, sometimes useful and sometimes a waste of a utility point. AoE increase utilities, or things like root breaks or speed increases that are useful on movement heavy fights but useless on others.

There's a lot of changing utilities within a single operations.