7.0 last expansion?

Zergnaut

For argument's sake, let's assume this MMO has a 10-year contract for Star Wars. This game was released in 2011, so the 10 years is already up. So it's possible there's a new contract in place.

Again. What does that contract from 2013 to 2023 have to do with SWTOR when SWTOR was released in 2011 and already operating under its own contract. That contract is a Star Wars exclusivity deal, meaning that only EA can make Star Wars games during those 10 years. It has little or no bearing on SWTOR.

Disney owns the brand, Star Wars. When they purchased the brand, they have ultimate say in what happens with the name.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For argument's sake, let's assume this MMO has a 10-year contract for Star Wars. This game was released in 2011, so the 10 years is already up. So it's possible there's a new contract in place.

Good point there, I am assuming a company buys the rights before the even begin creating a the game with the star wars IP so technically I am assuming the contract would be a few years before the release of Swtor.

So we would be at 11-13 years by now, so i am guessing there is a new contract or the contract was extended?

I don't think this game will end until a new Star Wars MMO comes out.

• Star Wars Galaxies shuttered on December 15, 2011.
  • Star Wars The Old Republic was released on December 20, 2011.

I think we're safe until we start hearing rumors of a new Star Wars MMO.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Yeah i dont think that is a genuine worry, even if the contract was to expire Disney and EA seem to have a decent relationship both being evil corporate entities etc xd

And swtor being the main star wars mmorpg means they would waste a lot of profit by not continuing it and like you said, there's no plans for a new star wars mmo, and disney is not focusing much on the old republic era either.

I don't think it's going to end either way and I hope it doesn't. I don't play this game anymore, but I'm still subbed for a few more days, but I wish nothing but the best for the game and its player base. This game still has a healthy population. If it were floundering as bad as NW currently is, it would be a different story. You can check out the starter planets during the day and still see a very healthy player count, free players or not. That's potential subscribers or even people that may want to purchase something from the CM. Edited by Pirana

You can check out the starter planets during the day and still see a very healthy player count. free players or not. That's potential subscribers or even people that may want to purchase something from the CM.

I would say swtor has one of the most active worlds in old content, I had to go to some old planets to get the datacrons or dialies i havent bothered with and I always show players running around doing their own thing, on planets that we had for years now on previous xpacs and people are still running around in them.

Definitely a lot better in that aspect than most of other big mmorpgs whose old world is dead because it has no benefits and everyone is at endgame zone.

I would say swtor has one of the most active worlds in old content, I had to go to some old planets to get the datacrons or dialies i havent bothered with and I always show players running around doing their own thing, on planets that we had for years now on previous xpacs and people are still running around in them.

Definitely a lot better in that aspect than most of other big mmorpgs whose old world is dead because it has no benefits and everyone is at endgame zone.

I agree, within the last year I've bounced around so many different MMO's, including GW2, ESO, New World, Neverwinter, FF14, I still play SWG, but this game is by far the most active in starter zones that I've witnessed.

Honestly, I'd rather have KOTOR 3 or SWTOR 2 as a single player/multiplayer game with DLCs. MMORPGs are just too expensive to build and maintain.

https://www.pcgamer.com/bioware-has-no-plans-to-end-star-wars-the-old-republic-anytime-soon/

From the Nov 4th, 2021 PCGamer article, "BioWare Has No Plans to End Star Wars: The Old Republic Anytime Soon:"

Thank you for this comforting news. This was NOT meant to be a "sky is falling" thread. I was legit concerned for the game. If I can get another 5 years out of the game Im happy

Honestly, I'd rather have KOTOR 3 or SWTOR 2 as a single player/multiplayer game with DLCs. MMORPGs are just too expensive to build and maintain.

As more of a Solo Player I would support this idea. As long as it had some form of progression

Edited by Zergnaut

Thank you for this comforting news. This was NOT meant to be a "sky is falling" thread. I was legit concerned for the game. If I can get another 5 years out of the game Im happy

I am not worried, in the mmorpg community Swtor is known as one of the big names and many people have a great opinion of it but are just disappointed by the lack of frequent updates.

So i dont feel they ll have any reason to stop it anytime soon, especially now that WoW has bled so many subs, many of which were absorbed by mmorpgs like ff14, swtor, eso etc so if anything, they should be more profitable now than a couple of years ago.

This whole contract shenanigans seems to miss the point that the ending of an exclusivity deal doesn't mean that every game before that deal expires will be shuttered.

Let's grant SWTOR is part of the 2013-2023 exclusivity deal signed between EA and Disney. So what?

Like, do you think the Battlefront and Squadrons servers are going down too, or... what?

Edited by jedimasterjac

Re-read what I wrote about ROI. It's not that this game doesn't make money (at least I hope it does), it's that it doesn't make ENOUGH money.

If PC / Console games cost X to create and return 10X, but this game requires an annual budget of Y, however, returns only 2.5Y, questions will be asked. Disney has no loyalty to this game, AFAIK it hasn't made them a cent. Now, they may decide to renew the agreement with EA, only with a fee (Z) attached.

Then it falls on EA to determine whether or not they want to keep spending money on this game, knowing that THEIR profits automatically take a deduction of Z. Combine that with their SEC filing (linked I believe in this thread) and EA reported losses with this game mentioned twice. (Also read the first chart, somewhere EA is reporting the loss of 3B in assets)

This is why myself, and many others have argued against the 7.0 changes. If you want the game to appear attractive, generate more revenue and bring in more players, instead of driving off subs, and catering to a {NICHE CROWD} then 7.0 is not the way to go.

Re-read what I wrote about ROI. It's not that this game doesn't make money (at least I hope it does), it's that it doesn't make ENOUGH money.

If PC / Console games cost X to create and return 10X, but this game requires an annual budget of Y, however, returns only 2.5Y, questions will be asked. Disney has no loyalty to this game, AFAIK it hasn't made them a cent. Now, they may decide to renew the agreement with EA, only with a fee (Z) attached.

Then it falls on EA to determine whether or not they want to keep spending money on this game, knowing that THEIR profits automatically take a deduction of Z. Combine that with their SEC filing (linked I believe in this thread) and EA reported losses with this game mentioned twice. (Also read the first chart, somewhere EA is reporting the loss of 3B in assets)

This is why myself, and many others have argued against the 7.0 changes. If you want the game to appear attractive, generate more revenue and bring in more players, instead of driving off subs, and catering to a {NICHE CROWD} then 7.0 is not the way to go.

If you read through the EA financials, you can see that EA do in fact pay on going licensing fees for their SW games. One would assume that includes Swtor. So I wouldn’t say Disney hasn’t made a cent from the game. How much have they earned is anyone’s guess. That is unless you can dig up some Disney financials to list their licensing revenue from EA. But you shouldn’t say it hasn’t made them a cent cause that’s false.

There are some rumours of an open world multiplayer SW game and another more secret SW game project. Both from seperate companies. It’s possible that neither or both could be an MMO.

If you want sources, I can’t provide a direct link at the moment because Reddit’s a pain to find stuff while using a iphone. But I did read it on the gaming news section of reddit during this year.

Yep, good catch. Still goes back to "does the game make enough" (to include fee). UBisoft has apparently been licensed to make "something" SW MMO related, but I'm not sure that project has gotten off the ground.

I'll always maintain EA messed this game up bad. The 'Star Wars' name, a global event, and you can't increase sub count? Meanwhile, IINM, FF 14 had to ADD servers during the WoW exodus? C'mon man.

UBisoft has apparently been licensed to make "something" SW MMO related, but I'm not sure that project has gotten off the ground.

Yeah, Ubisoft is one of the companies I heard about. If memory serves it’s the one that is an open world multiplayer. But that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an MMO. We don’t have enough info yet to know.

Okay so I get all the developers have been working from home and nothing is business as usual at the moment due to the what's going on in the world.

I get that however I'm just curious if anyone else feels like this is pretty much the last expansion I mean they're not doing any Cyber Monday sales like they usually do it seems because I've seen nothing on it and also we got no cinematic trailer so I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling like this may be the last expansion for the game?

I'm not trying to be negative here because I really hope it's not the last expansion but it's kind of feeling like it is

I can see them shutting this down by the end of 2023/Mid 2023.

Less serious answer: When Bioware lets players kill off Lana Beniko, think that'll be a good indicator of things ending. They can't seem to let her go lol

I mean, everything they've said in interviews or streams suggests otherwise.

RIP Anthem

Oh yeah, I’d love any new Old Republic era game.

There are some rumours of an open world multiplayer SW game and another more secret SW game project. Both from seperate companies. It’s possible that neither or both could be an MMO.

If you want sources, I can’t provide a direct link at the moment because Reddit’s a pain to find stuff while using a iphone. But I did read it on the gaming news section of reddit during this year.

Yeah I remember reading about those as well. At the time, I concluded that the OW game was going to be like Destiny or GTA, but that might be my own head-canon, heh.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller