Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Honest questions from a GSF noob

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Honest questions from a GSF noob

Ramalina
06.14.2021 , 11:17 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Whatís the average to great percentage on aim for the different ship types.

What I mean by that is, at the end of the match I see a big variety of percentages from people who do lots of damage. The higher averages are around 50% and the lower averages are around 20%. I know much of this is player skills, but is some based on type of ships too. Ie, if you use a bomber and your mines donít hit anyone, does that lower your percentage.
It's almost more a matter of weapon type than ship type. Different builds of the same ship can have significantly different accuracy rates at about the same level of skill. Pilot style also plays into it.

In general, for lasers and rocket pods, you'd be looking for at least 25% accuracy. You need a general level of competence to get to that point, and below that level having a good solid game gets really difficult because you just won't do enough damage, even if you're playing fairly hard-core support builds in a support role where giving up some damage is ok. If you can bring that up to 35% and you're smart about how you use that 35% then you'll probably be in the top quarter of the scoreboard in the vast majority of games.

A more weapon specific breakdown:

Lock on missiles: 100% If you fire them they count as hits.
Railguns: 60% is minimum competence, great gunship pilots will routinely run 70-85%.
Burst Laser Cannons: Try for at least 40% with these, an excellent game will be mid 50s to low 70s for ace level play.
Pretty much everything else: Aim for at least 35%, and be really pleased with yourself if you get 50% or above.

There's a general trend here. The slower the weapon fires, the higher the accuracy should be.

Quote:
Iíve also seen 2 people thus far with 73% hit rate, high damage, but not many shots (less than 30). So Iím assuming they were Gun Ship players who were specíd to one shot under geared/specíd ships. But thatís a guess cause the scoreboard doesnít break down ship type.
In general if an accuracy rate is above say 65% it's probably a gunship, though a top end scout with a BLC + Clusters build is also possible, or in a domination game possibly someone shooting turrets and not much else.

Aside from basic gunnery mechanics (center reticle in arc, center mouse over reticle) there are some other things that can make a big difference in accuracy.
  • Using Wingman crew ability.
  • Using Pinpointing 6% accuracy crew passive.
  • Being patient and looking for "good" shot opportunities (people concentrating on shooting someone else are ideal targets)
  • Being at "medium" range or closer (3 km) before shooting for most lasers (range capacitors can move this mark out a bit, and Heavy Lasers are tuned to be more or less exempt from long range penalties).
  • In a in a gunship railgun swapping. Ion Rail 40% slow upgrade, and Plasma Rail -10% evasion debuff both make follow up Slug shots easier to land. Also scroll out the view so the relative motion of the target across your screen is a tiny bit slower.
  • Watch target buffs and debuffs. If someone just popped distortion field, it might not be a great time to shoot at them. Same for Running Interference crew ability.

Also keep in mind that accuracy is means to an end: using your ship's resources to do damage efficiently. There are times when efficiency might not be the highest priority, and it makes sense to take a low odds shot. Say for example you have 2 seconds left on a DO, and the only target in range is a skilled scout that just popped distortion. Sure you might miss, but if you hit with DO the scout is dead. Take the shot because you don't have time on the DO to wait out the distortion. Being as accurate as you can is the general rule, but know when to break it.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

TrixxieTriss
06.18.2021 , 12:22 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
You need, GSF School

Specifically, Weapons 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iKbp0mOvrc

It's part of the very excellent Basic Training playlist.
I noticed other links at the bottom of the GSF school YouTube page. I want ask a question about the one by Plasticx. In his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAZ9CFChoQQ he uses a key overlay of certain keyboard keys on the left side. Iím wondering what that is and can we legitimately use it in GSF.

The reason I ask is Iím trying to teach my wife to keybind and it would be easier if she could see the keys on the screen instead of looking at the keyboard.

DakhathKilrathi
06.18.2021 , 01:16 AM | #73
I noticed other links at the bottom of the GSF school YouTube page. I want ask a question about the one by Plasticx. In his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAZ9CFChoQQ he uses a key overlay of certain keyboard keys on the left side. Iím wondering what that is and can we legitimately use it in GSF.

The reason I ask is Iím trying to teach my wife to keybind and it would be easier if she could see the keys on the screen instead of looking at the keyboard.
That's a keyboard overlay he used for streaming/recording. I don't know which one he went with and have never used something like it myself, but NohBoard might be along the lines of what you're looking for.

Ttoilleekul
06.18.2021 , 02:49 AM | #74

Scrab uses one too. Scrabs channel In fact I have been thinking about adding it to my videos so people can see what I am doing a little easier when I talk about how finite your control of the buttons needs to be for Scouting.

Are you thinking it might contravene TOR rules somehow?
-Luc Nodaro

TrixxieTriss
06.18.2021 , 01:11 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Ttoilleekul View Post

Are you thinking it might contravene TOR rules somehow?
I honestly donít think so. My only concern would be if the gameís got the ability to detect a 3rd party app like that and if it does, it may misconstrue what it is and auto flag you in the system for TOS violation.

Do you possibly have a link to that software? We can ask BioWare what they think.

TrixxieTriss
06.18.2021 , 01:24 PM | #76
On a side note, itís been 3 weeks since starting GSF and about a week since Iíve actively been trying to get better and not just get the daily PO done.
Tonight I hit my first 5 kill haul with 9 assists and 2 deaths (both accidentally self inflicted). With a combined 33% aim efficiency on GS, Strike and Scout. All 3 were only slightly upgraded.
Reading the help posts here and watching the vids really helped. Now itís just practice and every match I fell like Iím getting better.
Iím now interchanging back and forth with the F1-F3 keys for more damage and speed. Itís surprising just how much more damage you do on F1 compared to not. Even my minimal upgrade scout got a gun kill setting them up with a concussion missile.
The only sad thing about the match is we lost terribly because it was all top players vs noobs like me. We killed 12 of them and I was the highest on my team with 5. Their highest was 17 kills and they finished us off before the timer ran out.

Ttoilleekul
06.18.2021 , 02:10 PM | #77
I honestly donít think so. My only concern would be if the gameís got the ability to detect a 3rd party app like that and if it does, it may misconstrue what it is and auto flag you in the system for TOS violation.

Do you possibly have a link to that software? We can ask BioWare what they think.
I don't no. I hadn't started to look at it yet. I was just looking at one of Scrab's old videos and thought it would be cool.
-Luc Nodaro

Ttoilleekul
06.18.2021 , 02:12 PM | #78
On a side note, itís been 3 weeks since starting GSF and about a week since Iíve actively been trying to get better and not just get the daily PO done.
Tonight I hit my first 5 kill haul with 9 assists and 2 deaths (both accidentally self inflicted). With a combined 33% aim efficiency on GS, Strike and Scout. All 3 were only slightly upgraded.
Reading the help posts here and watching the vids really helped. Now itís just practice and every match I fell like Iím getting better.
Iím now interchanging back and forth with the F1-F3 keys for more damage and speed. Itís surprising just how much more damage you do on F1 compared to not. Even my minimal upgrade scout got a gun kill setting them up with a concussion missile.
The only sad thing about the match is we lost terribly because it was all top players vs noobs like me. We killed 12 of them and I was the highest on my team with 5. Their highest was 17 kills and they finished us off before the timer ran out.
Great job, keep it up! All good signs!
-Luc Nodaro