Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I think I'm done with this thread again now that my side won. :p

It's the nature of the genre. Enough people whine and cry and the devs give them what they want. That's how we went from hardcore MMO to care bear MMO.

Ig that's 'winning', you're welcome to it.

A new and exciting thread! lol actually I think I have rage posts somewhere in the middle here. However, as I played the game more I've come to the realization that orange gear effectively nullifies this debate. Equip your companion in orange gear from planet vendors, keep those mods updated, and there's nothing you'll even want for them in an instance. Edited by Marlaine

Yeah, you're correct for the most part. But the point I was aiming at is that when you go past the most conservative definitions and add in things such as companions then you are basically giving licence for players to roll cc/need on anything they can find plausable justification for.

I like that they are planning on restricting the need roll but am confused as to why they want to add a button. As plausable justification can probably be found for just about everything else.

Seems like unneeded coding to me.

I am actually pretty ticked that they are planning on restricting the roll. Why give my characer companions only to ban me from obtaining the best gear possible for them when I no longer have to worry about gearing myself.

With that one move they will manage to kill a large portion of my reasons to continue participating in the endgame content.

not unless every drop has aim on it....

and their companion uses aim as well...

3 of the 5 companions a trooper get wear the same armor as troopers, of the other 2, one is a droid that has aim as a primary stat, the other wears medium armor.

The same goes for Bounty Hunters. Most of their companions use the same armor as them.

So a Trooper or Bounty Hunter can select need on an item they won't wear and give it to their companion because most of their companions wear the same stuff as them.

I am actually pretty ticked that they are planning on restricting the roll. Why give my characer companions only to ban me from obtaining the best gear possible for them when I no longer have to worry about gearing myself.

With that one move they will manage to kill a large portion of my reasons to continue participating in the endgame content.

If you no longer need the stuff yourself then you've probably already seen everything at least once. My suggestion then would be to form "gear runs" with friends and go farm the stuff you want for that companion.

Why give my characer companions only to ban me from obtaining the best gear possible for them when I no longer have to worry about gearing myself.

I don't follow your logic.

You can still get the same gear for your companions that you do now, under the new system. In fact in a way you'll the same chance at it, because you can select companion rather then greed, because companion will have a higher priority then greed will.

That assumes that people won't click need, if they don't truly need the item.

You're not banned from rolling, you just can't roll "need."

Remember, this is only an issue because you needed other people to complete the task. If you could roll it solo with your companion, then it would be a non-issue.

If you no longer need the stuff yourself then you've probably already seen everything at least once. My suggestion then would be to form "gear runs" with friends and go farm the stuff you want for that companion.

A good option and what I would have done except BW is going to prevent that from working for me unless I have a companion that uses the exact same gear I do. Which means Troopers are lucky and Jedi Knight Sentinels are screwed.

I say it again BW this is not a popular "fix" for me. For what little that's apparently worth.

A good option and what I would have done except BW is going to prevent that from working for me unless I have a companion that uses the exact same gear I do.

I think you are misunderstanding how the system will work.

You can still win gear that your class doesn't wear. You just can't roll need for it. You will be able to roll companion need or something for it, which will have higher priority over someone rolling greed.

So things will not be that much different then, then they are now.

Now you roll need or greed. Anyone selecting need gets priority over greed. Then you roll need, companion or greed, with only those people who's class matches the item being able to select need.

You will still be able to select the middle option and automatically beat any greed roll.

I think you are misunderstanding how the system will work.

You can still win gear that your class doesn't wear. You just can't roll need for it. You will be able to roll companion need or something for it, which will have higher priority over someone rolling greed.

So things will not be that much different then, then they are now.

Now you roll need or greed. Anyone selecting need gets priority over greed. Then you roll need, companion or greed, with only those people who's class matches the item being able to select need.

You will still be able to select the middle option and automatically beat any greed roll.

Oh I understand the system as its being proposed. Anyone in the instance who has the need option available will be able to guarantee that I am not allowed a chance at the item I am there for whether they actually plan on using it or not. What they are proposing is not an equitable system.

As an operative, you'll never ever have to compete with a trooper for a drop.

I think the point Ferroz was trying to make was under the new system certain classes have companions that use the same stats as their main, making it possible to need for companions still yet. In my case, Doctor Lokin also uses cunning. So, if something dropped that was for my class, even though I did not want it for myself, I would be able to roll need for it knowing I was going to use it on Doctor Lokin, while other classes would have to roll companion need if they wanted it for a companion. And the need roll would win out over the companion need roll, giving me an unfair advantage in this case. Not that I would do this, but I am sure many would not have any compunctions about it.

As an operative, the companion I use also uses the same stats as myself, and one I don't use also does. They get my hand-me-downs, but I don't roll need for them. I like to believe the majority of people are honest and decent at heart and won't take advantage of loopholes like this. And if they aren't, well, they are the ones that have to live with themselves. We aren't always punished for our transgressions, but we are always punished by them.

Then why the hell are there people pissing and moaning on the forums to get the rules changed if people are "honest and decent" at heart.

This is such an unnecessary change, and breaks what was a pretty fair system. Guess the ************ got exactly what they wanted. Don't let somebody roll on particular items AT ALL, because thats fair, right? So two people with an equal chance with equal dice wasn't fair enough?

Not a fan of the developers (and other ***** players in this instance) telling me what is good for me. I would rather lose a drop fair and square then be prevented from even getting the chance.

This is such an unnecessary change, and breaks what was a pretty fair system. Guess the ************ got exactly what they wanted. Don't let somebody roll on particular items AT ALL, because thats fair, right? So two people with an equal chance with equal dice wasn't fair enough?
I'm generally ok with the proposed slightly-less-fair system since it will at least allow prioritization of companion/orange gear above the "greed" roll and should cut down on some of the loot drama.

At least there shouldn't be any real argument about what the various buttons mean. You could press "need" for a companion that has the same gear as you, but you will be ignoring a clear "need for companion" button to do it.

Then why the hell are there people pissing and moaning on the forums to get the rules changed if people are "honest and decent" at heart.

Not a fan of the developers (and other ***** players in this instance) telling me what is good for me. I would rather lose a drop fair and square then be prevented from even getting the chance.

What I like to believe and what actually is are two different things, most times. And majority doesn't mean all. Sometimes I like to believe the best of the human race to keep from feeling such a sense of despair for it.

That being said, the changes are not going to happen any time soon, I would guess. Plenty of time to gear up all companions.

Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works.

Very nice! Good job. Hope it comes out ASAP.

Dont worry about the fact that you can roll for gear that your class also uses for your pets ... thats just something that cannot be helped. People can do that right now even if they intend to just vendor it. Its sad but cannot be helped in any practical way. If it really matters then you can inspect the player and call them out for it ... its the only thing that can be done about that particular issue. Those making that argument are just picking at straws trying to find any reason to fight its implementation.

Either way, this is a MUCH better alternative than what we have now with people rolling for pets that arent even participating in the run.

My only suggestion is to make the "companion" button only allow for rolling a "target" pet. Like maybe the currently active one. I mean pets can use almost all types of gear ... whats whats the point in having a companion roll button if people will likely have a companion that can wear it? I sure as hell dont remember which pet has what at any given time. When im gearing them up with my guild I try to just pick one at a time to roll on. Otherwise we'll just be rolling on everything that drops since there will potentially be 20 toons to roll for in each team. Not a big concern, and im happy with the current plan (dont really care for pets anyway) ... jsut s suggestion.

You're not banned from rolling, you just can't roll "need."

Remember, this is only an issue because you needed other people to complete the task. If you could roll it solo with your companion, then it would be a non-issue.

Sure I can roll but someone else can roll need and completely bar me from any chance at the item I might happen to be running the instance for, helping them complete the task. If I needed them then they needed me. I should have equal chance at winning the loot I'm in there for in the first place.

Sure I can roll but someone else can roll need and completely bar me from any chance at the item I might happen to be running the instance for, helping them complete the task. If I needed them then they needed me. I should have equal chance at winning the loot I'm in there for in the first place.

Since drops are based on who is in the group with you for the most part, what you're saying makes NO since what so ever. Are you honestly telling me that when you want an AIM item for a companion you actually purposely try to find a BH/trooper to group with to try to obtain it? Because if there is not a BH/Trooper in the group, you're not going to see AIM drops 99% of the time. And if you are recruiting a BH/Trooper to be in your group specifically to get companion gear, you really should be telling them up front your purpose for asking them to join. If they're cool with it, they can pass so you can win the item(s) you want. If they're not, well, that's their prerogative.

Since drops are based on who is in the group with you for the most part, what you're saying makes NO since what so ever. Are you honestly telling me that when you want an AIM item for a companion you actually purposely try to find a BH/trooper to group with to try to obtain it? Because if there is not a BH/Trooper in the group, you're not going to see AIM drops 99% of the time. And if you are recruiting a BH/Trooper to be in your group specifically to get companion gear, you really should be telling them up front your purpose for asking them to join. If they're cool with it, they can pass so you can win the item(s) you want. If they're not, well, that's their prerogative.

You assume I'm am setting up the ideal group for each run I go on. What if I utilize the upcomming put me in a group tool and have no choice on who I run an instance with?

And when did I say I had no plans on talking to any group I'm in with? If I had a particular companion I was running an instance to gear up instead of my main character I would definitely speak up at the party formation. But the sheer number of people on these threads who act like I'm the second coming of the Anti-Christ because I dare want to gear up a companion leads me to believe that theres a good chance one of them will end up in group with me.

Bottom line is I'm there helping them defeat the instance I shouldn't have to beg for an equal chance at the gear I'm there for.

Very nice! Good job. Hope it comes out ASAP.

Dont worry about the fact that you can roll for gear that your class also uses for your pets ... thats just something that cannot be helped. People can do that right now even if they intend to just vendor it. Its sad but cannot be helped in any practical way. If it really matters then you can inspect the player and call them out for it ... its the only thing that can be done about that particular issue. Those making that argument are just picking at straws trying to find any reason to fight its implementation.

Either way, this is a MUCH better alternative than what we have now with people rolling for pets that arent even participating in the run.

My only suggestion is to make the "companion" button only allow for rolling a "target" pet. Like maybe the currently active one. I mean pets can use almost all types of gear ... whats whats the point in having a companion roll button if people will likely have a companion that can wear it? I sure as hell dont remember which pet has what at any given time. When im gearing them up with my guild I try to just pick one at a time to roll on. Otherwise we'll just be rolling on everything that drops since there will potentially be 20 toons to roll for in each team. Not a big concern, and im happy with the current plan (dont really care for pets anyway) ... jsut s suggestion.

p.p.s: Those of you who dont like this brought this on yourselves. You couldve easily done the right thing and just mention to the group that you intended to roll on your pets but didnt because you knew they wouldnt agree most of the time. You selfishly decided to just keep quiet a roll on gear for your pets when you KNEW that most of the community didnt like it. YOU made it a problem that needed to be fixed. Now youre getting a change that will make it all the harder to actaullly win. Good job, and good luck convincing someone to not hit that "Need" button so you can have a chance at it for your pet.

Edited by MasterKayote