Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

krfsm
06.24.2017 , 06:25 PM | #9071
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
I would argue that there are cases, in particular, flashpoints where guarding a healer makes a bit of sense, let me explain. When you initiate a fight, even with trash the tank gets the highest threat automatically, DPS gets second highest and healer the least, however as a fight progress the healer continuously builds threat on all enemies through healing alone. Meanwhile, DPS and Tanks only build threat on the adds that they are attacking our taunting, now if you have a good tank this is normally not an issue, but with less skilled tanks it's common that the healer gets aggro of a few mobs as the fight goes on.
If noone is attacking a mob, guard won't help the healer, except for the damage reduction.

There are some fights where guarding the healer makes sense, though. Braxx in Mando Raiders, for instance, where you want your dps to have threat, so the dogs don't go for the healer.

Iffyluse
06.25.2017 , 05:47 AM | #9072
When I'm healing and Tank guards me, I start only using DPS abilities. They learn eventually.

JediAkemi
06.25.2017 , 01:23 PM | #9073
When I'm healing, I'm usually too busy actually healing to check that the right person has guard... and on the rare times where I'm tanking, I tend to put the guard on one of the dps and hope it's right
Honestly though, I'm not an experienced tank. I have much to learn.

DenariusJay
06.25.2017 , 03:51 PM | #9074
Quote: Originally Posted by JediAkemi View Post
When I'm healing, I'm usually too busy actually healing to check that the right person has guard... and on the rare times where I'm tanking, I tend to put the guard on one of the dps and hope it's right
Honestly though, I'm not an experienced tank. I have much to learn.
I do the same, I don't understand all the rage about who to guard in freaking pve content... its pve. And no flashpoint is even remotely taxing enough IMO to have full blown arguments about who to guard. I always throw it on a marauder or merc just cause I feel like they will probably pull threat, other then that I've done hundreds of FP's without ever using a guard, lol. Unless someone absolutely demands it then I give it to them, because its not worth the fuss. It is good to always have it someone though, free 5% dmg reduction on a group member shouldn't be wasted.
server: The Hot Prospect (10/4/2017 #NEVERFORGET)
Characters: Billie Eilish/Jessica Alba/Olivia Munn / Rashida Jones / Alicia Keys / Colin Kaepernick

Aeneas_Falco
06.25.2017 , 09:24 PM | #9075
How about some of the people you meet before Group Finder?

The other day there was a guy posting in Fleet chat that only needed one healer for Dread Fortress GF, than they were good to go. Since the Oricon Ops are my favorites and I happened to be on my Sage, I immediately send a whisper. No response. One minute later I see the same LF 1 healer post spammed in chat. Chat was very active at the time so I think maybe he just missed my whisper so I send another. No response followed by the LF a healer post. After the second snub I don't send any more whispers, but while I'm hanging out on Fleet waiting for my companions to finish crafting I see the same LF a healer post being spammed for ten minutes, followed by the inevitable drops when none apparently join. Now he's looking for a tank and a DPS in addition to the healer. And so it goes until the group apparently doesn't form and he gripes that there are a hundred people on Fleet and no one is running Ops. (which also wasn't true, since I searched for "Dread" out of curiosity and there were 16 people in DF)

I've run DF plenty of times, know the OP, and have no trouble healing it through it. What's more is that while I run Ops I hadn't been running them yet on that server, so this person wasn't even familiar with me. Anyone else have a similar experience, where you end up snubbed for some inexplicable reason?

On a related note it is a pet peeve of mine when people don't respond with at least a "No thanks." There are plenty of reasons to decline a group invite, like filling a spot before you get a response. I've already been in that position, where you suddenly get two whispers from tanks wanting to join when you only needed one. Or someone has a guild mate who logs in and fills the position you were looking to fill. I always make sure to thank the person for responding and tell them that the slot filled before they responded.

AllisonLightning
06.26.2017 , 04:36 AM | #9076
Once. I had some idiot making it nigh on impossible to queue for his particular in progress group (probably a wipefest) between their failure to communicate for Dread Fortress so maybe we're looking at the same idiot. I just know I got to do it on my neglected DPS (I love healing and like tanking as well with PvE group content) on an impromptu guild run less than thirty minutes later while they were still asking on Fleet.

You get those special little snowflakes on a regular basis asking for roles (or that one who asks for 'all rolls except heals and tanks') but basically aren't all that bright given they are still doing it thirty minutes later with people saying in gen chat they'll do it. It was amusing to me personally in that instance since I'm in an active guild but when it comes to how it affects other people, I've got little patience for morons wasting people's time.
C'est la vie

XhrisShan
06.28.2017 , 08:13 AM | #9077
Quote: Originally Posted by Sabachthanus View Post
snip
Classic Mara

Quote: Originally Posted by keepitabovethe View Post
There was a guy who would queue and join FPs but whenever he joined he would do nothing. Just stand there. I got him three times!! I thought it was just his internet at first but come on, three times and he just stands there and never moves? I think he was just doing some odd form of trolling.
I sure hope you /ignored 'em.

MuskyBoy
07.05.2017 , 01:56 AM | #9078
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
I would argue that there are cases, in particular, flashpoints where guarding a healer makes a bit of sense, let me explain. When you initiate a fight, even with trash the tank gets the highest threat automatically, DPS gets second highest and healer the least, however as a fight progress the healer continuously builds threat on all enemies through healing alone. Meanwhile, DPS and Tanks only build threat on the adds that they are attacking our taunting, now if you have a good tank this is normally not an issue, but with less skilled tanks it's common that the healer gets aggro of a few mobs as the fight goes on.

Now, this is not the end of the world, I have been in that healer position many times and if you are good, you can easily survive, however, if you are rusty or simply a bad player, there is a risk you panic/don't use DCD:s and dies. Sure, a guard isn't the ultimate solution, but it can help in several cases, in particular, if the person who loses guard is a heavy armor DPS (such as a guardian). Not trying to defend the healer, he is bad no doubt, but that is a level of skill you will expect from pugs in flashpoints.
In my experience 99% of time healers get aggro is because bad dps just tunnel the mobs being controlled by the tank rather then clearing the weak ranged adds on the periphery first. A guard won't do anything to fix that, dps knowing what they are supposed to kill first will.

Aeneas_Falco
07.05.2017 , 07:32 AM | #9079
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonLightning View Post
Once. I had some idiot making it nigh on impossible to queue for his particular in progress group (probably a wipefest) between their failure to communicate for Dread Fortress so maybe we're looking at the same idiot. I just know I got to do it on my neglected DPS (I love healing and like tanking as well with PvE group content) on an impromptu guild run less than thirty minutes later while they were still asking on Fleet.

You get those special little snowflakes on a regular basis asking for roles (or that one who asks for 'all rolls except heals and tanks') but basically aren't all that bright given they are still doing it thirty minutes later with people saying in gen chat they'll do it. It was amusing to me personally in that instance since I'm in an active guild but when it comes to how it affects other people, I've got little patience for morons wasting people's time.
The bolded never ceases to make me laugh.

MrNihulus
07.05.2017 , 11:05 PM | #9080
I got a couple stories.
In some operations I've been in some players would leave the group at the oddest moments. In the fight with Calphayus in DP, one healer rage-quitted when she did not get to the portals fast enough and got herself killed, we managed to clear the boss in the end. Another instance happened when a DPS left without explanation after we beat the Dread Guards in TFB, what's even more puzzling is he did not win any loot. I had a similar case after clearing Calphayus in a different run as well.

In Mandalorian Raiders we had a lowbie DPS around level 20ish who always seems to run ahead on her own and aggro all the mobs. Our group got wiped by a massive amount of mobs that were aggroed. We vote-kicked her afterward. Those Salky Hound mobs are brutal even on tactical mode.