Dark or Light Side

ostatnipawian

Welcome,

Is there any point in playing a Jedi or a Sith on opposite sides of the force?

I've always wanted to play as a Dark / Gray Jedi, but I have a lot of contraindications.

Is this experience not a problem in the future? Is it harder to find equipment? Is there still a division into Light and Dark? I came back after many years, hence I would like to know if such antics have the right to exist.

Every tip is valuable to me. Thank you!

You don't really need to be dark or light, but it is a lot harder to maintain a grey alignment. Because of the way the dark vs light system works, every time you do something in game (even killing an weak enemy) you gain points for dark or light depending on which you select. As such, to keep a grey alignment you'd have to constantly switch between which side you're fighting for.

As to gear restrictions, there are a couple vendors on the fleet for both dark and light. These mainly include cosmetic armours, a few mounts and pets. You don't need any of this gear and you won't find yourself unable to do certain content because you are dark or light aligned. I personally prefer the dark side gear available as the light side gear are mainly plain brown jedi robes and the dark side gear looks a bit more interesting to me.

On another note, there are a couple achievements tied to the dark and light tiers. Further, beginning in 7.0 if you have a character with dark 5 in your legacy and hence unlocked the dark 5 achievement, any new jedi character you create would be able to use a dark side aligned combat style (assassin, sorcerer, juggernaut, marauder) from level 1. Same goes for a new sith character being able to use a light aligned combat style (shadow, sage, guardian, sentinel) if you have unlocked the light 5 achievement. For this reason it is a good idea to have at least one character hit dark 5 and light 5, even if you choose to then change that character's alignment later - just to unlock the achievements. (the achievements don't go away if your dark 5 character is no longer dark 5 if that makes sense.)

What's more if you start a jedi character with a traditional light aligned combat style in 7.0, then subsequently hit dark 5, we have been told that the game would give you an option to change your current combat style (say, guardian) to the opposite faction's version of that combat style (in this instance juggernaut). You don't need to, but it allows you to play a dark side jedi character and gain the dark side versions of abilities instead of those you start with.

Hope at least some of that makes sense and is helpful!