Combat Styles Were Not What People Wanted! (And Everything Else Wrong With Them)

Korithras

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong. It's one of the very few 7.0 changes that people DID want.

True. But at the same kind most classes, sorry, "styles", became distinctly less fun than they were before, courtesy of cutting away abilities with all the surgical precision of your average horror-movie axe murderer and abysmal ability progress while levelling.

So not even the requested good thing came out as fully positive. Plus I can only assume this feature is to blame why the devs thought they had to change the UI to accomodate it, because simply tacking it onto the old one and not reinvent the wheel (but in quadrangle-shape, this time!) was an idea straight from Mars, apparently.

Edited by JojoKasei

Wrong. It's one of the very few 7.0 changes that people DID want.

17 years ago, vanilla WoW came out, and had working animations for all the weapons a class could equip, as well as different racial and gendered animations for those same moves. In other words, Mortal Strike, an arms tree ability, had 16 animations that worked with every single melee weapon in the game.

SWTOR players just wanted to equip weapons for their toons that fit how they saw their character. They wanted a juggernaut who dual wielded lightsabers, or a marauder with a double bladed light saber, or (GASP!) have their bounty hunter use a blaster rifle. Instead, we got an extremely half-assed class switching option.

"Combat styles" are just trash versions of classes from 6.0, and except for new players, everyone had 10+ alts anyways. The ability to switch to another class was pointless, given how making tons of alts in SWTOR was mandatory for 10 years.

17 years ago, vanilla WoW came out, and had working animations for all the weapons a class could equip, as well as different racial and gendered animations for those same moves. In other words, Mortal Strike, an arms tree ability, had 16 animations that worked with every single melee weapon in the game.

SWTOR players just wanted to equip weapons for their toons that fit how they saw their character. They wanted a juggernaut who dual wielded lightsabers, or a marauder with a double bladed light saber, or (GASP!) have their bounty hunter use a blaster rifle. Instead, we got an extremely half-assed class switching option.

"Combat styles" are just trash versions of classes from 6.0, and except for new players, everyone had 10+ alts anyways. The ability to switch to another class was pointless, given how making tons of alts in SWTOR was mandatory for 10 years.

It's not useless, even for new players. It's possible after playing for a while you find yourself not enjoying the combat style for whatever reason. Being able to switch means you can continue the same character but enjoy play with another style you do like. At least during the Class stories it's nice that you can play what you want normally but choose to switch to the style that gives you Stealth for when you want to get past the planet mobs to and from your quests then switch back to play what you want when doing the quests.

It's not useless, even for new players. It's possible after playing for a while you find yourself not enjoying the combat style for whatever reason. Being able to switch means you can continue the same character but enjoy play with another style you do like. At least during the Class stories it's nice that you can play what you want normally but choose to switch to the style that gives you Stealth for when you want to get past the planet mobs to and from your quests then switch back to play what you want when doing the quests.

In other words, now that gameplay is less fun due to class nerfs and abilities taken away, as well as 7.0 forcing you to do content you don't like, you can potentially skip content by having a stealth class as one of your combat styles.

Yeah, you're done talking to me.

I disagree.

We got combat styles

We're getting (eventually) weapons in the outfitter

We got shared tagging

So no, they didn't fail on everything.

And yeah, the developer's job is to try and make things work with the resources they have. So that means smaller story update, and no "any weapon for every combat style." People just have really unrealistic expectations of what they can actually do.

I agree that we got a lot of things we didn't want (half a new UI, ridiculous gearing system, and huge nerf to Conquest), but people need to stop lying - they didn't fail on "every single level."

Well technically they failed to deliver weapons in the outfitter. And I’m not holding any hope it happens with 7.1. This is not the first time they’ve tried to add and certainly not the first time they’ve failed. So we all need to stop counting that chicken before it’s hatched

Gameplay is SO MUCH BETTER without the pruned, useless abilities! Would have been a great patch if not for the botched weapons outfitter.

With your post history I must admit to being on the fence on you being sarcastic 90% of the time. Sometimes it sounds almost sincere, but then stuff like this comes along that I find difficult to read in any other tone than mockingly disdainful. :D

Edited by JojoKasei

• 3 months later...
Who knows what people wanted exactly? Every single one of us wiould want something different, we are not Borg to want the same thing

This is not crowdfunding game where we have a vote, they do it according to their vision, we are free to like it or leave it.

About existing characters, they said they had technical limitations, so they couldnt do it or it takes too much resources to do it.

No but it seems Bioware has become Borg. They give us horrible updates and changes and when we complain beg for it fixed or put back so game is fun again they suddenly all "Resistance is futile This is the decision of the Borg Collective. We will not alter from our collective join us" lol

With your post history I must admit to being on the fence on you being sarcastic 90% of the time. Sometimes it sounds almost sincere, but then stuff like this comes along that I find difficult to read in any other tone than mockingly disdainful. :D

as someone who is always sarcastic or sassy all the time you do know someone cam have a sarcastic style of speaking and also be serious and sincere about things right? you do realize sarcasm is a great way to sincerely point out flaws or issues in a lighthearted humorous manner right?

No but it seems Bioware has become Borg. They give us horrible updates and changes and when we complain beg for it fixed or put back so game is fun again they suddenly all "Resistance is futile This is the decision of the Borg Collective. We will not alter from our collective join us" lol

... hmmm interesting ...

[saver static begins .. communication becomes garbled and transmission is cut short] ...

Unfounded speculation is irrelevant.

Speculation based on incomplete data is irrelevant.

Objections outside of established parameters for compliance to 7.0 is irrelevant.

We are one voice and of one mind: disharmony is invalid and irrelevant.

INDIVIDUALITY is irrelevant.

Your distinctiveness will adapt to this game.

You will all be added to the collective to service us.

Resistance is futile

:D:D:D

Edited by OlBuzzard

Every Tech User I make is an Operative

Every force user I make is an assassin

I've enjoyed the option to continue my playstyle across all origin stories.

but if I had the option, I'd make my force users Operatives too

who says a force user can't opt for, use tech weapons, tech combat tactics instead of the ancient weapons of hokey religions

long live the citizens of the empire

Imperial Intelligence is there, in the shadows, for the loyal citizens of the empire, not the Sith ruling class.

- - -

- -

We weren't asking you to pigeon-hole us into changing up what made our favorite class our favorite class all we wanted was for you to loosen your sphincters when it came to weapon restrictions for classes.

I'm not necessarily saying combat styles were a bad idea but forcing a player to choose between the weapon(s) they want to use and the combat style they know, love, and are used to, and probably favor is just idiotic, it has to be said.

I play my mercenary as my my main because I love the mercenary's skill set. I love the mobility, I love the look and feel of it, I love being able to heal myself in a pinch, it's me. It's what I like.

if you gave me the option to pick primary and secondary weapons, regardless of main abilities

I would still outfit my troop with Assault Rifle and Vibroknife to all

I've grown way too liking of the firing while in sprint animation and the quick shivs, and back stabs. It just looks too dam good to do it all in style and execute animations to perfection. It's all just too bad *** to want to see anything else

Edited by Falensawino

I, for one, like them.

Me also, to me it was probably the only thing Bioware got right for 7.0.

I'm glad someone is making use of this aspect of 7.0 Me, personally, I find it totally useless in that it adds nothing really "new" in the area of content to the game.

And (for the record) I'm not in disfavor with those who like or appreciate this change.

IMO some "changes" were needed. For example: any Jedi or Sith should be able to "force leap" ... or hurl objects at each other ( this IMO is Star Wars canon). The use of lightening ... there's always been some debate over that (as well as Force choke) ..

Other items might include: who can use sniper rifles (Smugglers?? Mandalorians? Troopers? ... others?)

However, as I understand it .. this new development doesn't work quite that way.

Sooo ... Yeah.. For those who want to set up entirely different combat styles and swap them out from time to time .. That's cool! Enjoy! (seriously). I have no problem with that.

(I hope this makes sense)