Welcome to the Galactic Starfighter Forum!

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

I would like to welcome you all to the official Galactic Starfighter forum. This forum will be the place to talk about all things GSF. Whether it is your favorite ship role, map strategies, or even your specific loadout. Not only will the Community team be looking through the forum but the Galactic Starfighter team will definitely be reading it as well. They may even post now and again :rak_03:

To help us with the launch of our new Galactic Starfighter forum, there are 10 new forum avatars for your choosing. Just head to your account page to change it.

Thank you everyone, see you in space!

-eric

Hey Eric, I'd like to make a request for a new sticky please.

Put up a sticky post explaining why we only have PvP in GSF. There are lots of people commenting about it, but none seem to have seen the original announcement saying there was a problem getting the AI to work for PvE scenarios.

Don't get me wrong, I, along with many other people, would love to see PvE GSF missions, but explaining why we can't have that yet might help calm some people down.

Put up a sticky post explaining why we only have PvP in GSF. There are lots of people commenting about it, but none seem to have seen the original announcement saying there was a problem getting the AI to work for PvE scenarios.

Don't get me wrong, I, along with many other people, would love to see PvE GSF missions, but explaining why we can't have that yet might help calm some people down.

Thing is....since you only see ships, and are not in player character on player character combat... it's less like classic MMO PvP and more like PvE against very good AI (in most cases :p ). That's the way it feels to me anyway.. and it's better AI in most cases then if they gave us actual AI driven PvE versions of GS.

Edited by Andryah

Well I love Galactic Starfighter. It's challenging, but fun. To those that dislike it...guys...just keep playing and keep upgrading your ships. The more you upgrade your weapons and buffs, the easier it gets. I remember seeing one guy getting 18 kills in a game so far, and I asked how in the world did he do that. Then a few games later I started getting 2, 4, then 6 kills in a game. I know it's no 18, but I've only been playing for a couple days and out of that probably only 8 or 9 games.

Hint, it really helps when firing to boost your weapons! Hit F1 and see how much easier it is to kill. Just make sure to hit F4 again to reset or if your getting good, make sure you use the appropriate setting, like boost shields via F2 if you're getting hammered, or F3 if you think you can outmaneuver them, if you're in say, a scout ship. Really guys, I sucked when I started, but it gets noticeably easier when you get the upgrades.

Also, if you suck at fighting in the beginning, just try to cap points. You can do very well just doing that sometimes.

• 1 month later...

On my server the republic loads up a whole team of 4 to 5 ship players in almost every game. The same ones over and over that appear to be in premade groups. The Impire however is 90% 2 to 3 shipers. This is creating an over 90% loss for the Impire. Some may say the answer is to get better but when 90% of the games are losses and the republic defends there 9 turrets the whole time while racking up 10-20 kills each while your whole team is lucky to get 3 kills it is difficult to gain any requisition and thus upgrade at all much less keep pace with them. You can't catch up getting 100-250 requisition every match while those you are supposed to catch up to are pulling in 1,000-2,000 requesition.

I believe that the under dogs should get the lions share of the requisition granted after a match win or lose so that they might one day actually catch up and balance the game.

A simple way to do it would be to average the total requisition EVER earned by each team and award 1% of it it to each pilot on the other team in addition to what they get normally.

This way the noob team's average lifetime requisition earning would be small and there enemy would gain little due to the lack of challenge.

On the other hand the new players that stick it out against the all 5 ship premade ace team would get a ton of requisition even if they lost because 1% of what the Aces had ever earned would be huge which would allow them to catch up and balance space pvp.

Even matched games at all skill levels would award slightly more to the winning team which would be small if both teams where new and huge if both teams where masters.

I recommend doing this until the wins and losses across all servers where running 50/50 and then cutting it off to stop inflation until such a time should arise when it was out of whack again.

To many people have given up on GSF already due to this imbalance and more are quitting every day. Or worse they have switched and now play pub in space so they can win. Fix this please before GSF becomes a pub only thing.

\You can't catch up getting 100-250 requisition every match while those you are supposed to catch up to are pulling in 1,000-2,000 requesition.

You can catch up. The amount of requisition to master a ship is finite. Once they reach it, continuing to earn more requisition does them little good.

Edited by Sharee

• 2 weeks later...

The bomber does not seem to bad in regards to balence issues.

My bomber on live is now almost fully mastered.

mine runs with repair drone, rail gun drone, and proton torpedoes.

took some time to get used to playing a bomber, not really that interested in playing it that much more to get the achivements done.

The railgun drone damage seemed ok to me, they were destroyed very quick but my bomber survivability was adequate.

The only issue i had with the bomber was the engines were aweful, at start of a match hit F3 for engines, space bar all way it felt like the bomber didnt get anywhere fast but wouldnt say it was a 'major' issue.

Playing against bombers as a gunship they went down fairly fast, as a scout i found them not a issue to kill but for domination places like C in one and B in other if u got a few bombers packed together they laid so many drones, mines that they could leave it undefended and as a scout was extremely hard to reach our targets, it required a gunship backing u up to pick them off but alot of gunships dont play like that.

Hope this helps a little.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't played this game for allmost 2 years because... technical requirements prevent me from having fun and is easier to buy another game than buy another laptop.

But now, i received a mail with this expansion and i came back in the game and i find it ... changed.

I payed my subscription and also encouraged my wife to make an account and payed her subscription too.

Long story... short.

You guys ROCK !!!

The new planet Makeb is awsome and quests are fun !

Nice job out there !

If you could fix the massive FPS drop i will pay subscription for 1000 years in advance !

Love ya, guys !

I have to agree with a few posts on here.. i have played countless times GSF, and i would say 95% of the battles are unbalanced one way or the other.. Now i don't consider "ships" meaning that you have nay more skill at playing this then i do , you spent CTs or the like and good for you you got a shiny new ship.

But the skill level is outrageous. Now when i play on my Main account, i do ok , not great, but ok , but because the "elo?" or whatever is used for matchmaking is carried across my legacy , when i start a char and go , sure ill go into GSF with you .. i get hosed, My basic ships, with no upgrades are qued against guys who 1 shot you continually , or people who have the skill and teamwork to keep a near constant missile lock on you.

I am all for the teamwork aspect, and Sat missions are fun, but i think that death match should be removed until you have at least 1 ship mastered, putting a basic ship against someone with a fully upgraded one, isn't so much as skill as it is luck . IF they get a lock , your screwed, IF they get a shot off with that Gunship , your screwed

Basically what people are saying is , if you weren't here at the start, enjoy your re-spawn and 100/10 ship/fleet req, until you can get something rolling.

On a side note. .HOW are people showing up with JUST one ship? I have seen many people who have ONLY a bomber, or ONLY a scout, ect, is there a way to sell your ships and get Fleet Req or something i dont know about?

as well any tips for trying to survive out there are welcome, thanks.

I am all for the teamwork aspect, and Sat missions are fun, but i think that death match should be removed until you have at least 1 ship mastered, putting a basic ship against someone with a fully upgraded one, isn't so much as skill as it is luck . IF they get a lock , your screwed, IF they get a shot off with that Gunship , your screwed

http://puu.sh/6YtXv

On a side note. .HOW are people showing up with JUST one ship? I have seen many people who have ONLY a bomber, or ONLY a scout, ect, is there a way to sell your ships and get Fleet Req or something i dont know about?

click-drag to remove from your active ships at the bottom of the hanger screen

http://puu.sh/6YtXv

This is a wonderful picture , but was that the FIRST Starfighter battle you ever did? or was that one on a Alt account you were starting after you played a lot on a Alt?

Not to mention i noticed that even that you went 11/6/4 , that is a Sat game, which means your 11 kills mean jack , its objective points in that that matter, thus the other team might have been focused more on objectives, Not saying your not a damn good player, just saying that does not show how balanced the teams were either. I am not saying that skill does not play a role, im saying it plays less of a roll then most think.

Side note: Thank you for the info on the ships thing,

This is a wonderful picture , but was that the FIRST Starfighter battle you ever did? or was that one on a Alt account you were starting after you played a lot on a Alt?

It was my first character on TEH, after playing a few hundred games on Pot5.

The point of the picture is that you can't blame upgrades for poor performance. You can be outplayed, you can get screwed matchmaking and fight enemies with Space Ace and Fleet Admiral when your team has two dozen matches between the lot of you, you can get farmed by people who have more history with flight simulator and FPS games than you have years of your life, but upgrades only ever factor into a loss when both sides are equally skilled. Any attempt to matchmake by number of mastered ships or lifetime requisition earned or upgrade levels will fail because skill is by far the determining factor in a match.

Not to mention i noticed that even that you went 11/6/4 , that is a Sat game, which means your 11 kills mean jack , its objective points in that that matter, thus the other team might have been focused more on objectives

That's not true at all. A dead enemy can't capture a point, can't reinforce a point, can't hold a point neutral, can't distract teammates (we've all seen three or four allies chasing one enemy around a satellite, I think). Once you kill someone, the game is suddenly 8v7 instead of 8v8. If kills weren't important in domination, gunships would have no purpose there -- when in fact it's the exact opposite, and gunships have always been a decisive factor in any domination match. I rarely have more than a hundred objectives points in any match, because my duty in those matches is to clear satellites of threats -- something I can't do if I spend the majority of the match inside the satellite's fins.

any chance of some official response for reason you have decided to exclude GSF and only GSF from gaining double exp this week end?

This is a very strange decission to make, i personally was really looking forward to bring one of my lowbies into gsf for double exp one game aspect i really enjoy. and to top it those that arnt bothered about double exp but love gsf you also effect them people since anyone not 55 will hit areas other than gsf or simply wont play meaning gsf queue pops are really going to suffer this week end.

i was planning on a good gaming session in gsf this week end looks like i wont be on if gsf is going to suffer this week end.

any chance of some official response for reason you have decided to exclude GSF and only GSF from gaining double exp this week end?

That was a whoops. The page was supposed to say you wouldn't earn double requisition this weekend, which I think is totally fair. Eric posted about it somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
It was my first character on TEH, after playing a few hundred games on Pot5.

The point of the picture is that you can't blame upgrades for poor performance. You can be outplayed, you can get screwed matchmaking and fight enemies with Space Ace and Fleet Admiral when your team has two dozen matches between the lot of you, you can get farmed by people who have more history with flight simulator and FPS games than you have years of your life, but upgrades only ever factor into a loss when both sides are equally skilled. Any attempt to matchmake by number of mastered ships or lifetime requisition earned or upgrade levels will fail because skill is by far the determining factor in a match.

That's not true at all. A dead enemy can't capture a point, can't reinforce a point, can't hold a point neutral, can't distract teammates (we've all seen three or four allies chasing one enemy around a satellite, I think). Once you kill someone, the game is suddenly 8v7 instead of 8v8. If kills weren't important in domination, gunships would have no purpose there -- when in fact it's the exact opposite, and gunships have always been a decisive factor in any domination match. I rarely have more than a hundred objectives points in any match, because my duty in those matches is to clear satellites of threats -- something I can't do if I spend the majority of the match inside the satellite's fins.

My first match on JC (alt toon) was a TDM. With no upgrades, I went 17-0. Pilots Skill > Ship upgrades, especially with DO :D:D

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to say that I really liked GSF since start. I used it for levelling of my alt, so I did so many matches before I reach 55. Because I did not have reason to continue, I stopped with GSF. But now I decided to return back and enjoy it again after while. And I stopped again after a few days.

First: deathmatch... who likes it omg? For me it is only brainless fight.... No real team coop, maybe just only gunships fights where each protect other, so you dont have chance to just come closer to them. And I had moments when I got 5 deathmatches. Where are original matches? Change it please. I would like to have choice what kind of fight I want to join. I am OK to wait 10 minutes more for normal battle than to be bored in deatmatch.

Second: bombers ... really nice ship, but I think that by implementation of bombers you totally killed any fun with GSF. There are inbalanced in my opinion with their possibilities for droids and probes spawning. Sometimes sattelites are like fortress when bomber is there ... well done.

and last issue ... I have fully upgraded Flashfire with barrel roll... this is really usefull for gunship dogfighting ... I was several times in situation that I could not catch gunship as I was out of engine power including my abilities and crew support for engine (my flashfire built). These gunships looked like ships with unlimited source of engine power...

Anyway I wish you all good fun at GSF ...

All your spaces are belong to The Republic.

Just want to say that I play Galactic Star fighter, solo queue only and the ship I use is FT-6 Pike. Before the

patch the Pike is out speeded, out gunned, out armoured and now with the new patch its evan worst. Why can't

you just evan out the playing field for solo player damit. Give the strike fighter the ability to fight back at least jesus.

Give us ion cannon with range of 7000m that do high damage to shield and hull not just shield, scout pick us of like flies, can match there speed and gun, gun ship well 2 shot and were dead, bombers unload all blaster power and missle and there still alive (huge armour). For f... sakes not all player like to play in a premade or in a group!!! WHY FORCE US? we pay subscriptions like everyone else.

First: deathmatch... who likes it omg?

I like TDM. It's a good alternative to all those bomber-loaded Domination games. Not everyone wants to Seismic/Interdiction Mine duel all day.

I would like to have choice what kind of fight I want to join. I am OK to wait 10 minutes more for normal battle than to be bored in deatmatch.

The player pool isn't large enough to support this. Eventually I feel like one game mode will be completely ignored. You might even see stuff like: Feel like playing TDM? Go to Jung Ma. Prefer Domination? Roll on The Bastion. etc.

Second: bombers ... really nice ship, but I think that by implementation of bombers you totally killed any fun with GSF. There are inbalanced in my opinion with their possibilities for droids and probes spawning. Sometimes sattelites are like fortress when bomber is there ... well done.

They could definitely use some tuning, but I prefer this to "let's all play battle scouts and satellite-hump each other to death lololol."

and last issue ... I have fully upgraded Flashfire with barrel roll... this is really usefull for gunship dogfighting ... I was several times in situation that I could not catch gunship as I was out of engine power including my abilities and crew support for engine (my flashfire built). These gunships looked like ships with unlimited source of engine power...

That's definitely not the case anymore. I encourage you to try GSF again with the patch changes. Scouts have a huge mobility advantage over gunships.

Edited by TrinityLyre

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
A total disappointment, the amazing videos and stories is so far away from real. I am a veteran ship gaming player, mostly came from Freelancer. And this is just a joke. Controls and movement of the ship really sucks.

Nice try.

Amen to this. I've player GSF once , only once on 1 character. And was totally lost, had no clue how to do anything, and had no real way even within the tutorials to explain/understand how to do things within GSF. Maybe I'm just blind, but being the IRL son of a High School English teacher, I can read, I can follow instructions, & I can listen to others trying to help via chat. :rak_03:

But this was a major, complete, total & utter disappointment. Pancho was being nice when he said "Nice Try" , this was not even a Nice Try. It is a dismal failure. Here is hoping for it to be fixed , fast.:rak_02: